Skip to content

Change font size

Basement Mounted AC units?

Discuss class A coaches and motorhomes here.

Basement Mounted AC units?

Unread postby Mike and Rose on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 am

Hello all. We are in the process of purchasing our first Class A motor home. We have narrowed it down to Tiffin and Winnebago. Do any of you own models that have basement mounted AC units ? I like the idea of less weight on the roof, but is a basement AC noisy or harder to service. Anyone in this forum own or have experience with such a unit. Thanks for any info.
Rig= Jayco Greyhawk 31SS New Ford 450 Cab.
Mike and Rose

Re: Basement Mounted AC units?

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'll preface this by saying that I have no first hand experience with basement mounted AC (which are often actually heat pump units), but if it's also ducted through the floor (instead of the roof as is typical) I have heard plenty of complaints about it to the point where I read about one Alfa owner who actually got so fed up with it he sold his trailer.

Other complaints are that they're noisier at ground level (does your neighbor want to listen to it if you're in a RV park) and that if your trailer has the basement unit, the roof is not usually wired for AC at the vents...meaning that if you ever wanted to add supplmentary AC units, you can't.

Plusses seem to be decreased weight on the roof (less air resistance as a result, and less chance for damage) and no condensate dripping off the roof.

Others that actually have first hand experience will probably have more insight.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JBandMJ on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 am

We have no issues with our Winnebago basement mounted AC units, it’s five years old now and knock on wood, no problems…so I cant answer your question about service. The inside and outside noise has never been a problem with us or our fellow campers, in fact, it still amazes me how quiet it is, the gen-set is a different story.
Jim & Marilyn
Mulvane, Kansas
2004 33 V Winnebago Adventure
JBandMJ

Unread postby Jerry on Fri May 07, 2010 10:19 am

I have a basement unit in a Winnebago. It is ducted in the ceiling and in the floor. The ceiling vents are for A/C and heat pump operation. The floor vents are for gas burner/forced air operation. The motorhome is a 2001 model year, and I have had no problems. It is quieter than the generator..... One isswue with it is if you are in a park where you are sitting on dirt/sand, etc., the cooling air from the unit blows down onto the ground, and can cause a little bit of a dust problem. I place a piece of outdoor carpet in this area and it resolves the issue....
Jerry

Unread postby nitronorm on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Hello we have a 02 Winnebago and I love the idea of heat pump (basement unit) quiet outside but a little noisy from the bedroom area,, I have serviced the unit by pulling it out for checks and maintance a little awkard but can be done in the driveway and just think NO penetrations on the roof in 2 places I look for this in the next unit we would purchase Norm & Val North shore Lake Erie
nitronorm

Unread postby Limey on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 am

Welcome to the forum, Norm! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin