Skip to content

Change font size

Last Katrina trip?

Discuss slide-in pickup truck campers here.

Last Katrina trip?

Unread postby magic43 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm

We will load the Outfitter Friday and leave Sunday afternoon for what may be our last Katrina restoration trip. Sadly, money is running out for materials, but the need for help isn't. I don't even remember how many weeks that we have spent helping folks rebuild, but it is not about us.....it's about them. The need is still there.
Outfitter Apex-8, '02 Toyota Tundra 4X4, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags, LR "E" Revos, Rancho 9000 shocks, True-trac limited slip diff, Warn trans4ormer winch/bumper. We still have the '90 Class "C".
magic43

Re: Last Katrina trip?

Unread postby Limey on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm

magic43 wrote:We will load the Outfitter Friday and leave Sunday afternoon for what may be our last Katrina restoration trip. Sadly, money is running out for materials, but the need for help isn't. I don't even remember how many weeks that we have spent helping folks rebuild, but it is not about us.....it's about them. The need is still there.

Kudos to you for still helping thos folks who still need help. Thanks for your efforts.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby crazyaboutcampin on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 am

WOW. A big think you from me too. It's one thing to volunteer once in a while but your dedication is truely rmarkable. 8-)
S&S on a Dodge dually 4X4
crazyaboutcampin

Unread postby magic43 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:25 pm

And now those folks in Iowa, etc. will need help big time. Their damage is just as great as the Katrina destruction. When homes are flooded, all of the sheetrock and insulation must be removed and the entire interior rebuilt. We have actually worked on a home all day without the folks knowing or understanding that WE weren't to be paid. They just couldn't believe that total strangers were helping them without being asked.

We are packed up and ready to leave tomorrow afternoon.
Outfitter Apex-8, '02 Toyota Tundra 4X4, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags, LR "E" Revos, Rancho 9000 shocks, True-trac limited slip diff, Warn trans4ormer winch/bumper. We still have the '90 Class "C".
magic43

Unread postby Limey on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:23 pm

magic43 wrote:We are packed up and ready to leave tomorrow afternoon.

Outstanding!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:04 am

Where on the Gulf Coast are you headed? I worked 16 days in Jackson County, MS (Pascagoula, Ocean Springs, etc.) immediately Post-Katrina. Also did 8 days in Destin / Fort Walton Beach in 2004 following Ivan. I've maintained contact with a number of the "locals" that I worked with down there in both communities, and I know that someday I'll do a "camping tour" through that area.

Safe travels, and good luck!
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby magic43 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:20 pm

We're back. We worked on a home in St. Martin, which is in Jackson County just West of Biloxi. We installed all new siding outside, new windows, & doors. Inside we removed walls, replaced flooring, added new walls, & electrical wiring. We had 10 people, so in 4 days, we made quiet a showing. After the owner finishes the insulation, we will go back down and sheetrock, tape and finish the ceilings and walls. The owner said that we did more the first day than he expected to be done all week.

As usual, the Outfitter performed well. It seems to be a near perfect traveling machine. For the first time, we towed the RAV4. That dropped us down to 11 MPG. We needed the Tundra to haul materials and the RAV4 for additional transportation. We did take time out to eat some shrimp !!!
magic43

Unread postby Fire Instructor on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Send me an email address, and I'll send you an aerial photo that I took of Langley Point & the St. Martin's area somewhere around September 14th or so, about two weeks after the storm hit. You can see the massive surge-line pile, just below the boulevard. I also have some great ground pis of that area, including the elementary shool, almost on the Jackson / Harrison County Line. A big part of my job as the Safety Officer on the Incident Management Team was Recon, so I've got a ton of pics!
Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller

Fire Instructor
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jjohnson1179 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Fire Instructor wrote:Send me an email address, and I'll send you an aerial photo that I took of Langley Point & the St. Martin's area somewhere around September 14th or so, about two weeks after the storm hit. You can see the massive surge-line pile, just below the boulevard. I also have some great ground pis of that area, including the elementary shool, almost on the Jackson / Harrison County Line. A big part of my job as the Safety Officer on the Incident Management Team was Recon, so I've got a ton of pics!

I would like to see them myself
Jimmy Johnson
jjohnson1179

Return to Slide-In Campers