Skip to content

Change font size

Tires and pressure

Discuss slide-in pickup truck campers here.

Tires and pressure

Unread postby polishpickles on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and campers in general. Sorry if this has been asked before, but what should I be running my tire pressure at when loaded the camper on the back of my truck?

I'll try to provide as much detail as possible. It's a 2002 Nissan Frontier, 2 wheel drive, with extra leafs installed so there is still lots of clearance when camper is on the back of the truck. I can't remember the tire brand but they are P225 70R15 with max load around 1,750lbs per tire. The camper itself is just under 1,100lbs.

I've been getting mixed responses from random sources. The sticker on the driver side frame says the tires should be at 32psi. The tire itself does not have "recommended" pressure although i've been told that "max" is "recommended". In that case, max pressure for this tire is 44psi and rated at 1750 lbs per tire. The question is should i be:

a) keeping tire pressure the same at all times @ 32psi
b) pumping it up a little to around 40 psi when camper is loaded
c) always keeping it a max tire pressure @ 44psi
d) consider upgrading to an E rated tire

These are the different responses I got from different people. Seems very confusing. It's a light truck probably around 4000 lbs, plus 1100 lbs camper on top, plus 2 people and other camping gear. So far we haven't driven it far, and it's only been on weekends for maybe 2-4 hours max a day.

Thank you in advance. :)
polishpickles

Re: Tires and pressure

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Try this website for inflation information.......FIFTH WHEEL STREET

The have all kinds of information on vehicles other than fifth wheels.

Safe & Happy Travels
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby polishpickles on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Thank you. I will check that out :)
polishpickles

Unread postby Rvduck on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 pm

With a handle like Polish pickles, I have to respond. I love Polish food. I am no tire export but in the 44 years that I have hauled campers, I put the maximum air in the rear tires when I have my campers on and go with the recommended air pressure when I take the camper off to get a better ride.Where I live in the province of BC, they leave the weigh scales active when the scales are closed and I take my vehicles and RVs there to weigh my axles and all of my campers have put hardly any thing on the front axle, everything is on the rear axle so I just leave the recommended air pressure in my front tires.
Rvduck

Return to Slide-In Campers