Skip to content

Change font size

New guy looking for help

Discuss slide-in pickup truck campers here.

New guy looking for help

Unread postby josIII on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 pm

So I am new to this site/forum, and hoping to be new to the truck camper experience very soon. I am selling my house and most everything else and planning to set out on a cross country trip starting from Michigan if all goes right. I think I have decided a truck camper is the way to go vs a motor home. Better gas mileage and more versatility. It's just me and my dog with no schedule to keep, and no time limit on travel. Yes I may be starting a little late in the year but hey, it's all about the adventure. So I have done a moderate amount of research so far and came across this site. I am looking for recommendations on reliable truck campers for my cross country trip, want it to be good in cold weather should I find myself there, and want one that is well made. I am really setting out on an adventure not planning anything, just going. So I may be off road type of camp sites so want to make sure it is a durable camper. Any recommendations on campers and/or trucks combos would be appreciated. Thanks
josIII

Re: New guy looking for help

Unread postby frank on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 pm

I would like to welcome you to the forum
frank

Unread postby RonJK on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Also welcome to the RV lifestyle.

Pop over to our site and have a look around, we hope you find all kinds of useful information.

Here is a link......JOIN US FOR A TRIP DOWN THE RV HIGHWAY

Here is a link to a good all weather manufacturer of truck campers that might work for you......NORTHERN LITE TRUCK CAMPERS
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Welcome to the site.

I too have a TC, but mine is very small. I haul 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and also have a cross continent trip in mind.

google truck campers. You will find other sources.

Keep us posted.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 am

I'll amend the google search term:

Use "truck camper trips".

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Rvduck on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:38 pm

I have owned 6 campers over 44 years, got my first one at 20 and now at 64 I just bought a new Arctic Fox camper.
I did a lot of research and I think any of the top rated brands would work for you. Just make sure you spend some time in the unit moving around, getting up in the bedroom and finding a floor plan that works for you. I had settled on another good brand of camper and when I got off the bed, I hit my head on the A/C unit.That was a deal breaker for me and I scratched that model off my list. My Arctic Fox has the A/C unit out over the kitchen and gives me room to get off the bed without hitting my head.Another thing I wanted to be able to do is sit up in the bedroom and read without my head rubbing the roof and my 2015 Arctic Fox allows me to do this. Many other brands will not allow this.Arctic Fox just raised the sleeping area roof 2 years ago so I am not sure about the headroom in the older models. Another feature I wanted was to be able to use the washroom without moving my slide out and my 996 Arctic Fox allows this, although it is tight. I can just open the slide about 4" and then there is lots of room. If you are in a parking lot it is not always possible to open your slide so this is a very nice feature for a camper to have. You asked about trucks too and I have an 08 Silverado 3500 Dual Rear wheel and I put Tork Lift Stable Loads on it and Rancho 9000 XL adjustable shocks front and rear and am pleased with the handling and ride.
Good Luck finding a camper that will give you many years of good, safe travel.
Rvduck

Unread postby RonJK on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 pm

josIII wrote:So I am new to this site/forum, and hoping to be new to the truck camper experience very soon. I am selling my house and most everything else and planning to set out on a cross country trip starting from Michigan if all goes right. I think I have decided a truck camper is the way to go vs a motor home. Better gas mileage and more versatility. It's just me and my dog with no schedule to keep, and no time limit on travel. Yes I may be starting a little late in the year but hey, it's all about the adventure. So I have done a moderate amount of research so far and came across this site. I am looking for recommendations on reliable truck campers for my cross country trip, want it to be good in cold weather should I find myself there, and want one that is well made. I am really setting out on an adventure not planning anything, just going. So I may be off road type of camp sites so want to make sure it is a durable camper. Any recommendations on campers and/or trucks combos would be appreciated. Thanks

josiii
We have a 36' class A and we tow a Sunfire. The combined mileage when we worked for a campground directory and toured BC and Alberta all summer and went south for the winter, was 17 MPG. Now that is between the two vehicles. But think about this, when we are driving the motor home we are getting 8 MPG, but the car is getting around 500 MPG as it is not using any gas,Then when we stop in an area and head out sightseeing we take the Sunfire and get 45MPG and the motorhome uses no gas in the RV Park.
Thus we average 17 MPG over the course of a year.
Can a truck and camper do that?
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Slide-In Campers