Skip to content

Change font size

High End 5er's

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

High End 5er's

Unread postby 4seasoned on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:27 am

Just wanted any thoughts on some hight end Fifth Wheels.

Most are around similar price points for about the same construction. One I noticed is selling factory direct and to the public which takes out the dealer fees. What is the best warranty/service for the money? Are the higher ends going to be around long with the economy? I have in my mind a few that I like the best, I wanted to get some reaction and some interest on anyone and everyone writing their own options without me saying which ones I like, just to see if what I'm thinking is correct.

Thanks for all that reply and hopefully this makes my ultimate decision easier.
4seasoned

Re: High End 5er's

Unread postby cwit on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00 am

You can bet Crossroads made by Thor will be around for a long time so the seville and kingston will be here.
cwit

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Mine is a high end fully optioned unit, and the unit that I wanted to buy in about five years from now, but ended up buying it last summer. The only thing that I wished it had was wood floors and no carpeting.

It does make fulltiming a little easier and comfortable. Why not is my thinking, we have no plans of ever going into a stick house.

Just a thought, I bought mine used from a retired couple, I paid 40 grand and he paid 85, it cost him 45 to own the unit for 2 1/2 years, he paid all the depreciation and I got a just like new trailer for less than half the cost of new. The same trailer out at Sicards is over 100 now.

Mine was out of warranty when I purchased it, but living in my unit fulltime, it's not like I can drop it off for service anyhow. I do all my own work and have a business that can sideline rv repair.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:53 pm

My wife and I have always liked the Cameo line by Carriage. However we have not enough truck and not enough money!! :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:22 pm

The one thing I noticed about the high end fivers is that the depreciation is even more killer then what one would consider the "run of the mill" Fivers. Yes, we looked at some nice ones, but opted for the lesser depreciation on the "run of the mill" used Fiver instead. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GoinKZ on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Having spent a lot of time this winter in my entry level TT had me looking for something more in a rig, my eye has turned to high end 5er Toy Haulers. I can tell you from an aspect of a guy who has used his rig in all seasons the differences in practicality from entry level to high end rigs is MONUMENTAL, what I mean is features you thought where brochure fluff are actual practical use able features.
From what I have learned, and how I plan on using and currently use my rig, a high end feature rich rig would be a way better fit for me. The next one will likely be my last one and will be a "lifetime purchase". FWIW, I plan on spending roughly what I paid for my first house on the 5er alone, and I'm not that old :o
1999 Ford Expedition Triton 5.4L/ 2008 KZ-Sportsmen S272LE
Equal-i-zer, Prodigy,McKesh Mirrors & Power by Champion
DW-MrsGoinKZ
DS-Wildboy
DFK-Tohona
MacGregor Point PP "Winter Warrior" Site#52
Our Pictures
http://www.4scf.com
GoinKZ

Unread postby Dusty on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 am

We own a high end 5er. Have a carri lite made by Carriage, and it is not light. We pull it with a 2 ton dodge commerical truck. This is the 4th fifth wheel we have owned and is the best we have had. Carriage make their own frames. We also went through the factory and saw the products they put into these 5th wheels. They do use better build products than some entry level 5ers.
Carriage builds 6 of these a day and some other brands put out 20 a day.
Have washer and dryer, dishwasher, big screen TV, heat pump, fireplace, dehumidfier built in the AC, have 2 air conditioners, electric dump valves, all 4 power jacks, the wood inside is real wood and no pressed wood. Many other extras.

We full time in this one and love it.

2008 two ton 5500 Dodge dragging around a 2008 Carri-lite by Carriage.
2 Schnauzers and a very large Maine Coon tom cat.
Full timers and loving this life!
Dusty

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Dusty - sounds like a nice rig!

Welcome to the Forum :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Dusty on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I know you! Didn't we all meet at the "old fella" rally south of CO Springs?

2008 two ton 5500 Dodge dragging around a 2008 Carri-lite by Carriage.
2 Schnauzers and a very large Maine Coon tom cat.
Full timers and loving this life!
Dusty

Unread postby Limey on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Dusty wrote:I know you! Didn't we all meet at the "old fella" rally south of CO Springs?

Yes we did! I just posted a similar comment after your post in the Welcome Center! LOL.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mtlogger44 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:08 am

Before I went to the 5er currently in sig, I had a "high-end" rig - http://tetonhomes.com a 40ft Royal. Fortunately I got it at reduced price at the factory, because it was the 2nd to last one there. I save about 30% over what I would have paid thru a dealer. The factory did a complete walk-thru, checklist and corrective measures were taken BEFORE I took delivery and handed over the check. That's a responsible company that will do that for you. They'd get my business again, IF I wanted another one.

I don't because what I do and what I carry don't fit the usual camper. I have two mules, a cart, their tack and my logging gear on board. It has commercial axles and tires (22's) on it, not the lightweight ones used by rv mfgrs. It was designed to carry Percherons and heavy gear. Everything inside forward of the mules was custom built - the tile (yes) floors, stainless steel gas cooktop, full size refrig, even a bathtub/shower. It has a lower center of gravity and does not stick up above the roof line of my trucks. I pull it with the PB or the V10 in a pinch.
Matt J: '93 Mack 30 yd Belly Dumper (685 k/mi)
GT rig: '03 Uni 1750L (89k/km) Michellin 335/80R20's
Alfred: '99 Dodge V10 (124k/mi) w/26ft Jamco;
Bert: '08 Dakota 4.7 (27,875 mi) w/19ft Airstream, Space 10 tent,
mtlogger44

Return to Fifth Wheels