Skip to content

Change font size

Additional Heat

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Additional Heat

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:11 pm

My Designer has the furnace under the shower area of the trailer and what I am finding is the the heat is not getting to the rear of the trailer. At the rear of my trlr is a living room that is closed off by french doors, totally separate from the kitchen. there is only one heat duct in the floor in the living room.

There is an electric fireplace, but I am running on my generator and the fireplace consumes around 1500 watts or so, which is causing the generator to eat fuel at a faster rate. What I like about the Honda 3000, is that it will deliver around 800-1000 watts and not come off idle. Which is where I like it, 13 litres of fuel gives me 20 hours of operation.

So I had the wife pickup one of those Mr Heater Buddy propane heaters, I got the unit without the fan. I drilled a hole through the wall to run a propane hose through and to keep the 20 pounder propane tank outside.

So far it is working well, I will post some pics later today.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Additional Heat

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Here is a shot of the inside of the trailer to the rear living room, with the doors closed and the other pic of the same with the doors open.
Attachments
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Here is the heater and the propane tank and line going through the wall of the slideout.
Attachments
heater 002.JPG
heater 001.JPG
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Two thoughts,

- Have you a skirt around the unit, down to the ground, & maybe with insulation?

- Do you have an Eco-fan http://www.magma.ca/~barkhm5/ecofan.htm

It gets started by the difference in the temperature between the top and the bottom of the fan. It's very popular with owners of wood stoves since it blows the heat much farther than it would travel without a fan.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Nice looking trailer. Whaterver you so, don't forget to turn off the gas and remove the tube before running the slide in!

Whe hooked to A/C power I use a 1000 Ceramic heater (two if it gets cold - just have to have them on different circuits. I don't camp often in the cold whereI don't have hookups, but I have twin Honda 2000's which have always given me plenty of power when I do.

It's funny that we should be talking about this because the DW and I just decided to spend the night in the 5er tonight, even though the 5er is only 20 yds from the house - just felt like doing it! It's going to be about 28F here tonight, so the heater is already running :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:21 am

I looked closely at a Mr Buddy last week (primarily for our new years trip to MacGregor Point) but decided that since we will have hookups we will be fine with just electric space heaters and the furnace. If the hydro goes out we have the genny (and I plan to bring enough gas to run it for 24 hours or so just in case) and we should be just fine.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 am

The buddy ran all night long and really helped the furnace. The heat in the trlr is now even and very comfortable.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Hunter11 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:53 pm

I have a Mr Buddy I use in my hunting blind and we also take it with us in the 5th wheel so if we want to sit outside and camp fires are not allowed we can use it to keep warm if it is cold out. I would not trust the auto shutoff and crack a vent or window if using it inside so it does not use up all the oxygen.
His-2005 Dodge 3500 CTD 4X4 LWB SRW QC Auto 3.73, S&B CAI, Quadzilla X2 XZT Box and Commander, MBRP Exhaust
Hers-2006 Dodge 1500 4dr. Hemi
Ours-2007 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 34CK
1967 Chevelle Malibu
2 Mini Dachshunds
Buda, Tx.
Hunter11

Unread postby cwit on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am

Big rig guy I don't think you could of found a better place to put to put that heater, I like the Idea so much I'm going to do this. You get some air through the hole the line goes through plus the bottom of the slide seal. This coner of our rl camper is always cool. :D
cwit

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:10 pm

CWIT Yes it is working well, I will seal up that hole as I don't want water to get in between the walls, thought too of a little couputer fan mounted to bring in fresh air.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby wintek on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm

I used one when I had my pop-up and it worked very well. It was the only source of heat. Although it seems to be safe to sleep with them on, I was never comfortable doing so even in my well ventilated pop-up. A phobia I guess. Be sure you use the filter when you use the 20 lb tank as the Buddies will clog up without one.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Filter, ok, I seen them I guess I should have gotten one????????? well I will pick one up and thanks for the info.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to Fifth Wheels