Skip to content

Change font size

Equa-flex

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Equa-flex

Unread postby cwit on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 am

I could use some help on what the equa-flex system does and how much the parts cost, I do all my own work. Some say this will raise my camper some anyone have an idea how much. Also does anyone know where to buy a lift kit to raise my camper about 2ins. We have become snow birds and travel from Upstate NY to Georgia in the winter and I want my camper as level as possible with the smoothest ride possible inside camper. Thank you inadvance. :D
cwit

Re: Equa-flex

Unread postby Frank Henn on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I PM you on the other forum, guess you did not receive it. I installed the Equa-Flex on my Zinger Travel trailer. I bought it direct from Trailair it ran me around $300.00 I did get the ones with the gerease fitting It took me around a hour to install. I do not know if the will raise the height of a fifth wheel, but I had to raise the ball on the travel trailer to get it level. When we got the new fifth wheel last year, I opted for the Equa flex. Would not be with out it. You might want to e-mail Crossroads if it will increase the ride height
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 am

Frank thanks for the ans. I am not very handy when it comes to computors and messed it up. My laptop changes pages by it self. I need to slow down some chucking back and forth on my hitch and raise my trailer some. The 5er tows great but I need to get it level and would like to slow down some of the movement when starting and stopping. Any help would be appreciated. These are my only problems with the camper so far. :) We do a 1200 mile tow in the winter and 3or 4 short couple hundred tows through the summer. :ugeek: :ugeek: :)
cwit

Unread postby Frank Henn on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm

If I recall right when I installed the equa-flex they came with shackels that were about four inches longer. I still would e-mail Crossroads on this seeing this was a option on their fifth wheels,but I think it is standard now. There is a pin box out there that people swear by I believe it is Demco.. They seem to like it. Part of my chucking or movement comes from the receiver of the set up. I have just a bar that goes across they say that the clamp type is better.. We go out one to two times a month, for week end and five days for Thanksgiving , and another five days for New Years. Christmas is out with the new Grandbaby. we will do two pull trips a year of 10 days each and cove about 800 to a thousand miles. The other side bar on the chucking that you are feeling comes with a short wheel base truck on concrete roads. the exspansion gaps create this, I have a short wheel base truck, and I will put up with it.. the long wheel bases are just too long foe me to manuver
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

:D You and I seem to have the same hitch mine is a reese 1500 slider. I think I will call crossroads on the equa-flex system. Thank you for all the Info. you have been a great help. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm

I too have the 15k Reese slider. Don't have the Equa-Flex, but I raised the 5er by about 2 1/2 inches by installing longer drop equilizer brackets that Lippert offered when I needed to lift my 5er. They work fine - they are about 4" longer overall than the original ones that Lippert installed and as it goes between two wheels/axles the total lift is half of the increased length of the brackets. I would have gone with the Equa-flex if I had had the money at the time, as I have a buddy who has them on his Crossroads Cruiser and he says that the ride is much improved.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Limey did you have to cut our the old and reweld the new ones or were they an addon to the old ones? I would hate to weld in all new ones and find out it wasn't what I needed.
cwit

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 pm

I just reread your post, you only had to replace the center one where the equalizer goes and not the 2 outside ones. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:35 pm

cwit wrote:I just reread your post, you only had to replace the center one where the equalizer goes and not the 2 outside ones. :)

That would be correct! The two pieces (one for each side!) are like inverted T's. Just longer in their drop than the originals. I tried to put them on myself but had trouble jacking the trailer. I had a local frame shop switch them out in no time - about $60. The brackets only cost about $10 COD from Lippert!!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:28 am

This is what I want you have saved my day. This is the easy way out for me. :D :D :D
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:28 am

cwit wrote:This is what I want you have saved my day. This is the easy way out for me. :D :D :D

I bought mine about 2 years ago direct from Lippert - it's funny, but over on the other forum some folks were telling me that you shouldn't fit them as they were not the original setup. LOL - It was Lippert who suggested them and sold them to me!

I just checked my original posting over there and the part # is 12674 and they only cost me $3.98 each plus shipping. Call Lippert and explain what you want to do - see if they still suggest it! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:10 am

I'm going to call frist thing Monday morning. Thank you again for the information. :D
cwit

Unread postby cwit on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:34 am

Got my equa-flex system today will install this weakend, have to move my camper and get it on tarmack to install.
cwit

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Let me know how your installation went, and how it towed afterwards. Dose it sit higher over the axles now
Last edited by Frank Henn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank and Janet Henn
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:22 pm

cwit wrote:Got my equa-flex system today will install this weakend, have to move my camper and get it on tarmack to install.

Did you check with Lippert? Just interested if you can still get the parts that I did. :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:07 pm

The instulation was a snap, but I thought it came with the wet bolt kit. Guess what I have to order it now, my bushings are wearing out so will order and put on before cold weather. It may of raised it 1inch was hoping for two. I still have to get hold of lippert and will but decided to wait untill after our trip to Maine. I even had shackel plates so eggshaped that I don't know why they did not seperate.
cwit

Unread postby cwit on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 pm

I tried to contact Lippert and they no longer deal with the public. Got a hold of crossroads and Randy got a hold of lippert and niether crossroads or lippert think I have a problem with 3 ins. high in the front. I am not to worried about the tires as they do seem to look even in pressure. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 pm

cwit wrote:I tried to contact Lippert and they no longer deal with the public. Got a hold of crossroads and Randy got a hold of lippert and niether crossroads or lippert think I have a problem with 3 ins. high in the front. I am not to worried about the tires as they do seem to look even in pressure. :)

I agree with them - as long as you have the equalizing bracket between the springs you should be OK. That is what it is for, to spread the load evenly between the axles when the trailer is not quite level. The real time that this is an issue is when both axles are rigidly fixed to the frame. Then, if the trailer is nose high, the back axle carries more load than the front axle and could cause the load on the back axle/tyres to exceed their design ratings.

My trailer still sits about 1 1/2" high at the front and all is fine :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 am

My camper pulls like a dream so I guess I will leave it this way and see how it goes for now. I still have our thip to Maine at the end of this weak and our trip to Florida in Feburary. I think my big problem is I like to do mods and try to make improvements. :mrgreen:
cwit

Unread postby cwit on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:02 am

Well We got to Maine no problems, great trip . The fall leaves were beautiful. My new equaflex was the best investment I ever made for our camper ,you no longer feel the bumps or the chucking of the camper. I have never made a mod to our camper that I feel helps save it more than the equaflex. :| :) Now on to raising camper next spring.
cwit

Unread postby tvman44 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I installed the Equa-Flex on our 5er and did not notice any increase in height at all. It is a very worth while mod, sure improves the ride. 8-)
Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"
tvman44

Unread postby cwit on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:30 pm

If I hadn't put mine on I would not of believed Just how great this product is. I travel concrete roads in Vermont , New Hampshier and Maine. You just don't feel them at all.
cwit

Unread postby tvman44 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I installed the Equa-Flex right after we got our 5er and love it, greatly improved the ride and did not notice any increase in height of the 5er.
Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"
tvman44

Return to Fifth Wheels