Skip to content

Change font size

Fiver Hitch

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Fiver Hitch

Unread postby Rough2000 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 pm

OK guys,

Looks like we will be getting a fiver in the next 6-8 weeks. Need to get the Dodge 2500 CTD ready to pull her. Talk to me about fiver hitchs. What should I be looking for, and what to avoid. I already think the Trail Air is out of the question as well as out of the budget. I know I will have to have a slider with the short bed, and the hitch will have to be rated at 16,000lbs. What else? :?:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Fiver Hitch

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:23 am

I have the Reese 15k slider in my SWB Ram 2500CTD. They make a 16k too. I have never had any issues with it and have only used the slider twice - and one of those times was when towing a friend's fiver for them; just wanted to be on the safe side! A lot of people talk about the benefits of an auto-slider, but for me I think mine is fine and could not justify the additional cost of one of those!

You also say 'what else'. Get an extra electical outlet in the bed of the truck.

Here's where I had the dealer put mine....

So many things you can add, but all cost extra. One of the best changes I made was a 'v' tailgate. This is mine:

Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:28 am

I have the reese 15k slider and if I was to do it over I would switch to the 18k with locking jaws. I think this setup would have less forward and back chucking on stops and starts. I don't mind getting out of my truck to reset slider, gives me a chance to streach my legs and calm down from driving before setting camper in the site. Oh yes I do use my slider every time I make a tight move, My cab corner cost me more to fix than the price of my slider. My frist pull I thought I could make a manuver with out the slide in the manuvering position. nope haven't none that twice. :D :D
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 pm

cwit: I don't get any chucking on my hitch, even when towing double with the boat behind the fiver. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment that you can make, but you may want to check with Reese. Personally I prefer mine over the locking jaws type, as there absolutely no chance that the hitch is not latched if you see the bar across the pin. JMHO.

Bummer on catching the cab on your first tow! That must have made you really mad. Only times I have needed my slider was when camping at Golden Gate SP in Colorado. (Tight campground and a 90 degree turn coming out of the dump station). The other time was when a friend bought a fiver and had me bring it home for her. I had to maneuver it into a very tight spot and could not have done it without the slider.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Limey it was my frist pull with my then brand new truck. I do like the theory behind the slide bar and I did get a hold of Reese on my problem, there is no adjustments but they told me to try and adjust my brake controller to a heavyer setting and it helped a lot on stopping but not on taking off. If I take off with less throttle it does help . The one great feature of the 1500 is the double pivot, thats great. For the truck I have I will never change hitches. I just wish I could get a 5th wheel tailgate for it. ONe other feature I got was the box saver, I haven't made the mistake but a friend of mine did.
cwit

Unread postby antiqfreq on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:58 am

We have the Pullrite Super Glide hitch, I think the 14K.
We too have a short bed truck.

That slider slides like crazy when we turn corners with our fiver........

My DH seems to like it alot.

Costs a few bucks more than the others, I know, but he says he is glad he has it!

Jo
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Unread postby cwit on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:26 pm

I have to ask you does this hitch slide when you are on the road and make a 9o degree turn like at a t intersection? I would think the weight shifting would be anoying. I am not running down your hitch but trying to make up my mind if this would be a smart investment in the future. I like my hitch but getting out of the truck to reposition the slide could get old, like when it is raining. :D
cwit

Unread postby Frank Henn on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:21 am

I have the 16K Reese hitch with slide in my truck(manual) Works well for me. It has the 4 way pivot I recomend this comes in real handy on uneven ground when hitching up. Regardless of the hitch you get paint the bar or the jaws white. This will tell you that the hitch is secure while doing the other stuff in the back. I do not have the V tail gate, but it is not a bad idea. The other thing to get is he teflon ring that fits over the pin in the trailer. This little $9.00 investment pays off big time.
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby sixindia on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:08 pm

See sig!
The only Hitch for me is the Pullrite with superrails.
Good solid locking jaws.
You only need to kiss the cab once and then you'll have the Supergilde.
No it does not shift when you make every turn, the only time is slides back
is when your trailer need to be moved back.
Sometimes it's just a little and sometimes it's all the way, It all depends on the type of turn your making.
No you don'y feal it every time, I still look back and just watch the trailer slid back and then slid forward.
That is so cool
I wouldn't have any other slider hitch.
2006 Dodge CTD 4X4 TRX CC
Pullrite
Prodigy
Bilsteins
Firestone Air Bags
Kipor 3500Ti
2006 Laredo 29RK
Equa-flex
sixindia

Unread postby Limey on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:36 pm

sixindia - Welcome to the forum! Make yourself comfy and jump right in! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:02 pm

I've just got a plain-jane Husky 16K double pivot in mine. It's what came installed in the truck when I bought it, and it's what I continue to use.

I don't have any pin-slap problems at all...the only thing I ever felt the pin move forward in the hitch was when my trailer brakes kicked the bucket in Yellowstone and I had to really mash the truck brakes at an intersection. Otherwise I have my brake controller set up so that the trailer always keeps a slight tug on the truck at *all* times, as it should.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Quint on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:58 pm

I believe that reese has stopped manufacturering the 16k slide so once inventory is gone thats it with that model. I own the Reese 18k slide and am very happy with it..
Quint

Unread postby Rough2000 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Quint wrote:I believe that reese has stopped manufacturering the 16k slide so once inventory is gone thats it with that model. I own the Reese 18k slide and am very happy with it..

Quint,

I'm supposed to get my new fiver in the middle of Aug...the dealer said he was going to put on a Reese 16K slider, I don't know what model. Where did you get your info about manuf discontinued and do you know which model?

Thanks,
Bill
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Question about the fiver hitch, why on a 18 wheeler hitch they put grease on the hitch but I never see grease on fiver hitches? any thoughts? :?:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Frank Henn on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:17 pm

I have a teflon ring I use over the King Pin. I also spray a white grease on the wheel part, just my piece of mind.
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:57 pm

graywolf67 wrote:Question about the fiver hitch, why on a 18 wheeler hitch they put grease on the hitch but I never see grease on fiver hitches? any thoughts? :?:

The 5th wheel on an 18 wheeler is potentially bearing 30,000# or more of pin weight, whereas most fivers are a few thousand tops. If you don't grease the fifth wheel of a semi it can literally cause it to lock on the skirt of the trailer unless alot of turning effort is applied at which point it will "pop", turn a bit, and lock again. It's alot of metal on metal, basically, and there's much more surface area on a semi trailer and fifth wheel then there is on a RV style 5er.

Some of the more inexperienced commercial drivers who have forgotten to grease their 5th wheel for a long while can mistake this locking for steering problems as you will need to hold counter steering in while on the highway, only to have it "pop" and move a few inches to the other side, and then the driver has to feed in opposite steering. A little grease to lube things up and the problem goes away.

That, and as was mentioned, due to lower pin weights, most fiver owners use teflon discs instead of grease. Anyone who has ever bumped into their pinbox and ruined a shirt knows the benefit of the teflon discs versus grease. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby graywolf67 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for the insight, I learnt something new today :D
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 pm

I think PP summed it up very well!
Amazing how smart you become when you switch from a TT to a 5er!

Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Limey the other day we were talking about the chocking on my 15 reese hitch I think I found the problem,it's all the play in my hitch pins and head pins. I also have a probblem with my camper being to high my clearance is 5&3/4 ins. can I go lower than this? any Ideas on either problem from any one would be appreciated. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 pm

cwit wrote:Limey the other day we were talking about the chocking on my 15 reese hitch I think I found the problem,it's all the play in my hitch pins and head pins. I also have a probblem with my camper being to high my clearance is 5&3/4 ins. can I go lower than this? any Ideas on either problem from any one would be appreciated. :)

I doubt that there is much you can do about play in the hitch pins etc., is there? Is it due to wear or are the holes just that much larger than the pins?

As for clearance - 5 3/4" is good - you could lower it but I wouldn't personally go below 5" I am at 5 1/2" and would not drop mine - I have not yet hit the rails with the 5er when going over some uneven ground, but have come close a few times!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:04 pm

I had my hitch back to my dealer and they even think it could be a problem. they contacted reese and reese says it is normal play. There is 1& 1/2 ins from rest to picking it in the air and taking out all the play. :)
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm

cwit wrote:I had my hitch back to my dealer and they even think it could be a problem. they contacted reese and reese says it is normal play. There is 1& 1/2 ins from rest to picking it in the air and taking out all the play. :)

If Reese says that 1 1/2 in play is normal then I think that they are talking through their you-know-what! I have next to no play at all in mine. The only play I have is the designed side-to-side and front-to-back tilt of the head. Other than that - nothing.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks Limey I guess my next step is to fight with reese as I believe this is my problem. I have had this problem sence day one :?
cwit

Unread postby Limey on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 am

Best of luck! Hitches aren't cheap and you need to get this resolved. I still am shaking my head at the amount of movement you say you have!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:19 am

My play starts at the 4 locking pins onto the rollers up to the quickrelease pins for the head. I did measure my play wroung though I have a kingpin catch and I measured There instead of the head. I think my play is coming from the 4 way pivot plus the 2 locking pins. When I stop or start you can see all the movement. :D
cwit

Unread postby cwit on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:49 am

I replaced my halfinch pins with over size and took most of the play out. It really helped a lot. Now on to lowering the front down a couple of ins. I tried dropping the hitch but my bed saver made this a pain,had to adjust hight to get ove bed saver then readjust to get to 5th wheel plate. Reset to original and know will reset the king pin instead. :?
cwit

Return to Fifth Wheels