Skip to content

Change font size

Need guidance

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Need guidance

Unread postby fivernoob on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:07 pm

After several years of camping with a tent then a popup, I'm looking into buying a 5th wheel. I have a Ram 2014 2500 CTD short bed with tow prep package. I plan on doing weekend trips and at least one weeklong trip per year with the wife and our youngest (14). My camping season would be from may to late october. Here's the questions I have.

-What would be a reasonable weight for the trailer ? (Currently looking at 11k-12k empty)
-Is it preferable to have a residential refer or a camping one ?
-Anyone find they use a 2nd AC unit ?
-Solar panels and batteries, any suggestions ?
-Is there any issue with extensions that are not flush with the floor ? (ie the ones without flush carpet)
-Tires: can trust the oem ones or should I change them asap with a good E-rated tire ?
-Hitches: what are the better ones ? and do I buy it and installed at the rv dealership or a specialty hitch shop ?

Think that covers it for now. If I dream up of other questions I'll post again. Your help is greatly appreciated.
fivernoob

Re: Need guidance

Unread postby RonJK on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:20 am

The weight you can tow depends on the rating your truck has.
The fridge that comes with the fiver will probably do you just fine. No need for residential.
We use are second A/C all the time as the the front and rear are ducted into the same ducts and it adds extra air and cooling when it is really hot. If it is just so..so we just use the front one or at night just the front one so the noise is less in the bedroom. During the day we use two.
We have a small solar panel for charging the batteries and we can boondock for a week and have no battery issues. Having said that we only have an converter not an invertor so we are not using any A/C appliance and we do not use the 12 TV

Tires will depend on if you are buying new or used. If buying used 5 years is usually tire life for safety.
The hitch again depends on personal choice. A hitch shop would probably be less expensive, but shop around.

Hope you have a great time.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Simply Solace on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Thank you for the post. I am in a similar situation looking for the same directions.
Simply Solace

Unread postby RonJK on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Hope you find it helpful and please share your RV stories as well.

Safe Travels
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Roy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 pm

I just purchased my first 5th wheel this past August. I went to the Reese dealer and had a slider installed because I have a F350 with a 6 3/4 bed. After I got the 5th wheel I realized it did not have a cushioned pin box and was beating me to death, so I ordered a Trail Air Flex Air Long Pin Box, so now I don't need the slider hitch because I have a longer pin box. Wish I had researched this more before I purchased, I may could have saved some money.

The standard refg should do you just fine.

I use both A/C units in the summer in Florida, but you will find times when you will only use one, but I would want two.

Don't forget to chock your wheels before you pull your pin release. (Wonder how I know that) I now have a sign next to my pull lever that says "chocks".

As for tires, most dealers put cheap tires on their trailers. I'm trying to get info now on good tires. Everyone you talk to at the tire store or RV dealer will give you a different answer on what you need. I just submitted a question on the forum requesting input on tires. Hopefully I will get some answers that will help both of us.

Good luck. You will love the 5th wheel.
Roy

Return to Fifth Wheels