Skip to content

Change font size

5th wheel not level when towing

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

5th wheel not level when towing

Unread postby Joe Montana on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello I have a Ram 3500 one ton P/U and bought a Palomino Puma 27' fifth wheel. It is much lighter than our 34' that we sold. Because this is 1/2 ton towable it is lower and when I hook it up to my truck it is 4 to 6 inches higher in the front. I have made all of the adjustments that I can on the hitch.

So my question....Is it putting extra pressure on the rear axel? Should I pay the money to have it raised? I also will be towing a 18' boat behind the trailer and probably making it drop even more in the rear. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....I can have it lifted for $750.

Joe Montana
Joe Montana

Re: 5th wheel not level when towing

Unread postby Limey on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:49 pm

I would pay the money and have it lifted. That's what I did. There are several ways of doing this.

The one I opted for was to put longer equalizer (tee pieces) between the leaf springs. That gained me a couple of inches. An other method is (if your axles are above the springs) to move them to below the springs. Other than that some folks get spacer blocks put between the axle and the spring if the axles are already below the springs.

As for putting extra pressure on the back axle - that has always been a debate. My opinion (if you have the tee equalizers I mentioned above) is that it does not, as the center tee equalizers are doing just that - equalizing the load.

Lifting it will indeed help with the double towing, although adding my 17ft boat did not lower the back of the fiver at all.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 5th wheel not level when towing

Unread postby hamieuxcarl on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:55 am

Hi guys i m new in this forum , my girlfriend and i have project to come in canada , we are both french and we would like to do it like camper's life , we plan to by a Ford 150 , and a 5th wheel but there is still one big question i can't find out on internet , do i need a permis to drive with a 5th wheel as a french driver ?

thanks for your responds

Best regards

Carl and Camille / traveler's couple :)
hamieuxcarl

Return to Fifth Wheels