Skip to content

Change font size

Hailstorm damaged my 5er today

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Hailstorm damaged my 5er today

Unread postby Limey on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Sever weather in our area today. I was watching the track of a nasty storm cell on my work computer and saw it was going directly over my house. When I got home I saw a lot of hail on the ground, and plants and trees stripped of a lot of stuff.

Went in the 5er to make sure all was OK and found that the hail had smashed all three of my roof vents. Just got down from the roof - I put trash compactor bags over them and closed them over the bags. Not very secure but will have to do until this weekend when I can get to Camping World and buy some replacement vent covers. Bummer, but not as bad as the hailstorm about 10 years ago which over $50,000 of damage to the house and barn! :cry:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hailstorm damaged my 5er today

Unread postby pwall on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:49 am

That's unfortunate....but atleast it's only the roof vents.
When I started reading your post.....I immediately thought "oh no, the roof!".
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cwit on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 am

I had this happen to my camper before I bought it ,they installed new covers and Max-airs. :D
cwit

Unread postby Ontariofarmer on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:47 am

If it's only the covers I'd say you were lucky this time.

2003 Ford F250 Super Duty King Ranch
4X4
Quad cab
Triton 6.8l V10

2003 25' Jayco Qwest
Ontariofarmer
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby thebadliz on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 am

Could have been a lot worse - like the tree limbs that punctured my SIL's 5er last winter....glad it wasn't like that!
Liz - the Bad Liz
http://www.thebadliz.blogspot.com
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my dogs."
thebadliz

Unread postby Limey on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm

WooHoo - Post #900! :shock:

The roof itself looks OK - I was up there putting plastic bags on the broken vent lids, so I had a cursory look around. I'll be my way to CW after work today - I am going to replace the cheapo $12 covers with the 'unbreakable' polycarbonate ones, which are about $26 each. Might go with the Max-Airs too when I get some more money!! All my cash just went on the vacation we have planned for the last 2 weeks of May - CruiseTour to Alaska from Vancouver B.C. So see, you Canadians, I am about to step foot in your country at last! One of our excursions on the cruise part of the tour is to cross into Canada and play golf in the Yukon. How cool is that? (I know, it will probably be very cool that time of year - dress in layers, eh!!? :mrgreen:)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby pwall on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm

CruiseTour to Alaska.....awesome! Have a great time.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby thebadliz on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Limey wrote:All my cash just went on the vacation we have planned for the last 2 weeks of May - CruiseTour to Alaska from Vancouver B.C. So see, you Canadians, I am about to step foot in your country at last! One of our excursions on the cruise part of the tour is to cross into Canada and play golf in the Yukon. How cool is that? (I know, it will probably be very cool that time of year - dress in layers, eh!!? :mrgreen:)

That is very cool. I went on a cruise to Alaska last May - and it was sunny and pleasant. Only one day I even needed my gloves - and that was on a whale watching boat. It was wonderful.
Liz - the Bad Liz
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my dogs."
thebadliz

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Eagles, eagles hatching eaglets, this time of the year in BC. They've hatched in S. BC., later in Haines, AK Have you asked about them?

:)
Attachments
Eaglet Dad Prey Ap 20 3.jpg
Here is male parent sheltering Apr 11 born eaglet in between feedings of this prey (smaller bird) Sidney, BC.
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Eagles, eagles hatching eaglets, this time of the year in BC. They've hatched in S. BC., later in Haines, AK Have you asked about them?

:)

Hadn't thought about that - definitely have thought about whales and other wildlife, however. Family of a workmate run a Bald Eagle rescue somewhere around Anchorage, so we may check that out.

I have recently spent mucho dollars on a new SLR Digital Nikon, and all the kit, cuz I want good pictures!! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey Martyn, welcome to the colony. You really should try to make it over to Victoria if you have the time and if you haven't spent all of you cash yet. It's been said that Victoria is more English than England. I've never been to England so I'll have to take their word on that one. Regardless, its a nice place to visit.
Which Nikon did you get? We got the D60 last year. Its awesome and with my limited abilities, I'm not yet using it to its full potential, but we did get the 55 to 150 lens and a Nikon flash for it. We also had great warranty service through Best Buy when the motor in the original lens died at 6 weeks old. They simply replaced it for us. Since then, no problems.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 am

Well, unfortunately I won't have much time to look around BC, as we fly into Seattle late on the Friday night and on Sat morning they bus up to the ship in Vancouver, and we leave that morning! My only other foray into Canada will be when I do a golf excursion into the Yukon. Once we reach the Anchorage area we go by train to Denali National Park for a few days and then spend a day in Fairbanks before being flown back to Seattle. 12 days al together. We are really looking forward to it!

I bought the Nikon D5000 - comes wih two lenses, the regular 18 to 55 and also a 55 to 200 telephoto. I used to do a lot of photography in my younger years - had my own darkromm and did all my own processing. Glad to have an SLR again - always my favourite - plus I like the digital capabilities. Heck, this thing even shoots HD movies! One excursion we do starts with us going to a glacier and having a professional photographer work with us to improve our shots - then they take us on a whale watching trip - they say they guarantee a whale sighting or you get $100 refunded!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 pm

New vent lids got installed on Saturday, when the snow and wind let up! A pretty quick job, once I worked ut the process on the first one. Roof looks OK, so I think I lucked out. A neighbour, who was home the day of the hail, said that it was intense and the hail was about the size of large grapes.

There are many properties in my subdivision with TTs and 5ers on them (we are all 5 acres, so have plenty of room) and over the weekend you could see nearly everyone up on their RV roofs, either replacing the vents or patching them up temporarily!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby thebadliz on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 am

Enjoy Alaska! May you see this!
whale01.JPG
Liz - the Bad Liz
thebadliz

Unread postby Limey on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

thebadliz wrote:Enjoy Alaska! May you see this!
whale01.JPG

I hope so too! We have one whale watching excursion booked - guaranteed sighting or you get your money back.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fifth Wheels