Skip to content

Change font size

How many batteries are too many ?????

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

How many batteries are too many ?????

Unread postby The Rock on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I have a Question how many batteries are too many. I have three gel batteries which weigh 90lbs each in my trailer, they go in the compartment right in the front of the trailer. I was wondering if these was too much weight or not :oops: . I like the fact that with the three batteries when dry camping I can run every thing I want to :lol: with out worrying about after a couple of hours every thing going black and then cold. :o
2010 Springdale 284 FWBHSSR
Yamaha EF3000ISE
2014 GMC Serria Crew Cab 4X4 5.3L w/ factory brake control

A beer in the hand is better than two in the fridge
The Rock

Re: How many batteries are too many ?????

Unread postby pwall on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:29 pm

I would think that as long as you're not exceeding the hitch weight on your vechicle, I don't see any problem.
I have two batteries installed on my TT for the same reason....dry camping.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ontariofarmer on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

I'd LOVE to add a second battery, but there is onlyroom for 1 In the compartment.
The next best place for 1 is to far away.

I agree with Pat's comment on the hitch weight.

2003 Ford F250 Super Duty King Ranch
4X4
Quad cab
Triton 6.8l V10

2003 25' Jayco Qwest
Ontariofarmer
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby tvman44 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 pm

As long as you do not exceed any weight rating, go for it.
Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"
tvman44

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 am

& have adequate ventilation.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby dodger on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm

pwall wrote:I would think that as long as you're not exceeding the hitch weight on your vechicle, I don't see any problem.
I have two batteries installed on my TT for the same reason....dry camping.

If they were installed by the factory everything should be fine. If you're worried about hitch weight go to a truck stop or any other place that has a scale and weight the tongue. Park with just the jack(s) over the scale, then unhook and weigh just the tongue or landing legs if it's a fifth wheel.

Here in Oregon, and some other states we've been through, we can use the DOT highway scales when they are closed. The readout is outside and the weighmasters leave them turned on so the truckers and general public can weigh. We have one close to our house that is remote and hardly ever open. I actually unloaded my truck camper on that one when I first bought it and also unloaded my race car on it once. :D

Anyway, I wouldn't remove any batteries unless the tongue weight is excessive.
dodger

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

IMHO the only ways you could have "too many" batteries is:

1/ Too much weight. Already covered.

2/ Inadequate charge capability. Having a ton of batteries isn't good if you don't have the ability to get them charged up *fully* when they are depleted. Chances are you standard RV converter (40-60 amps) isn't going to fully top off that large of a battery bank quickly enough if you are only running a generator for an hour or three a day. If you are returning home after a trip where the batteries were depleted and plugging your trailer in (so the batts have lots of time to top off) or you are spending a few days in a CG with power hookups after a long boondock then it's not an issue, but it's important to make sure that the batteries are given the opportunity to fully recharge. Batteries left in an extended state of depletion for periods of time will have a very poor lifespan.

Personally, when I know I'm going boondocking for long periods and I want to be able to replenish my 3 battery bank quickly I'll bring along my external (100 amp) charger - I plug both the trailer into the generator (thereby supplying 60 amps from my converter) and then plug the external charger directly to the battery bank in the front of the trailer and dump another 100 amps at the batteries. It really loads down the generator but the goal is to charge FAST and get the generator shut down asap, and pushing 160 amps does the job and tops things off relatively promptly.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fifth Wheels