Skip to content

Change font size

Best Tires for 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ???

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Best Tires for 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ???

Unread postby Roy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm

I looked around on the forum and could not find any info on this topic. Hopefully there are some tire experts on the forum.

I have a 2014 Prime Time Spartan 5th Wheel Toy Hauler with 2 axles. Dry Wt is 12500, and with my golf cart loaded and my other stuff, I'm sure it is at least 13500 or 14000. I purchased it used from a dealer with a new set of 2015 Kelly Safari ATR LT235/85R16 tires. These are truck tires and the Load wt on the tire says Max Load Single 1380 - Max Load Duel 1260. So far I can not find anyone, including the Kelly Customer Service Center than can explain those low numbers. The Kelly dealer said the Load wt was 3042, but that is not stamped on the tire. Either way, this is not a good set of tires for my weight load. I hear so many tails about blow outs, I don't want to have one myself if it can be helped. It seems everyone one I talk to has a different opinion as to the best set up. Some say use truck tires, some say to stay with the factory recommended ST tires. I'm thinking ST is the best since they are designed for trailers. The recommended tires are "E" rated and I would like to go up to F or G because they will handle more weight. F may be as high as I can go with a trailer tire, but am not sure. I had rather be rated higher than needed than marginal. One issue in going up in size is the tire pressure can increase from 80 to 110 lbs. Some say the stock 80lb rim is ok to run 110lb, and others say if I'm running 110lb of pressure I need a high load capacity wheel.

So here are my questions: What would be the best brand and tire size to run for a 14000 lb load? Also, if it is a 110 pressure tire, do I need to upgrade to the high load capacity rim?

I have been told by a tire dealer that I can run 110 lb pressure tire on an 80 lb rim, but just put 80 lbs air in the tire. That sounds like under inflating which can run hot and would be defeating my purpose.

I have been told Duraturn makes a good RV tire, but have never heard of that brand.

You would think that I could get answers to these question at a tire dealer, or RV Service Dept, however everyone tells me something different. Hopefully some of you have had some personal experience that can help me on my decision.

Thanking you in advance for taking time to read this long post, and for your input.

Roy
Roy

Re: Best Tires for 5th Wheel Toy Hauler ???

Unread postby roverd02 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Which tires you end up with? ST tires should do the job for hauling.
roverd02

Return to Fifth Wheels