Skip to content

Change font size

Light cooking

Moderator: RonJK

Light cooking

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 am

Does anyone have any easy, low fat recipes? I'm usually the one making dinner in our house, and after work I don't have lots of time to do it. Make ahead recipes would be great.
Looking forward to next camping season to see what low fat meals I can conjure up over the fire. Since October 3rd, I dropped 30lbs and plan to add to that and keep it off. Looking forward to being able to jump on my mountain bike or take a nice hike at the campground.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Light cooking

Unread postby Little Kopit on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:41 pm

How's about cooking larger portions of low fat foods.

Corn is a good carbohydrate, but doesn't put on the pounds of potatoes.

Carrots and celery are great veggies to add flavour and fill you up.

My point being that foods called low fat often have other additives which really don't do so much to the diet.

A thought. I'm only human at my house. I've bought some lean ground beef and today I will put it into one person servings and freeze it. When I cook it I will put in some plant oil, which is a healthier fat than animal fat.

I make sure to have frozen low calerie veggies in the freezer then I can take my serving of meat my serving of at least 3 veggies, shove them in a pot and cook.

Onions and herbs are things I use to take the place of fat and salt (being on a low salt diet)

==============================
& sometimes I cook a large dish, meat loaf , pot roast etc. At the moment I have a stew that started as a pot roast cooked in a slow cooker with stewed tomatoes, small whole onions, other green veggies. & baked Yorkshire pudding for the carb. I have an unheated porch. Each day I cut off my serving of beef and veggies for that meal. The when those veggies were used up, I cut the remaining roast into stew sized chunks, added water and potato, carrots, celery, onion diced in large chunks, herbs, olive oil and cooked on high setting in the slow cooker.

I can't do this all the time, I like a change a flavours.

& BTW stock up on olive oil. I hear tell the olive crops in EU Mediterranean countries have been poor in 2014. The best before day on olive oil is 2 years. Thus, look for olive oil with 2015, not 2016 date. Check country where packed. & maybe be lucky and find brands from Tunisia, Australia....... I can't rattle off all the reasons why olive oil is to be preferred to Safflower Oil, Walnut oil or others. One comes to mind. Olive oil has a higher boiling point than many oils and that makes it better for Yorkshire puddings, or seasoning your cast iron......

8-)
portion size, portion size, portion size....

Have gotten some ice cream. 1st time in 4 months...... ie. space out your high calorie treats.
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Here's a tip I use for ground beef. I either mix with or use all ground turkey. And I use McCormick Gourmet Burger seasoning. I haven't had a real beef burger since October, and the turkey burgers are excellent. I also miss turkey and lean beef in meatloaf.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby RonJK on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:31 pm

BROCCOLI QUICHE ... low carb Recipe

10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and well drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 ounces onion, chopped, about 1/3 cup
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper

Spray a large glass pie plate. Put the broccoli, onion and cheese in the bottom of the plate. Beat the eggs, then whisk in
the cream, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the cheese. Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the
center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Recipes