Skip to content

Change font size

Upper cabinet issue again...

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Upper cabinet issue again...

Unread postby jemek on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 pm

It seems the one flaw with the Sunset Trail, is that when they put in the upper cabinets..they left no room for expansion that occurs with the winter moisture. Last year we took it back to the dealer, they fixed them. But didn't make any adjustments.

We headed out today to start the pre-spring cleaning and sure enough they have split again. The framing matches up to the main flat part of the door.

It is only the upper one's that lower ones all seem to be fine, but they have room.

Does any else have this issue? DO you just leave all the doors open when you store it, or have you actually just shaved down the sides to give a larger gap?
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail 31ft QBH
jemek

Re: Upper cabinet issue again...

Unread postby cwit on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 am

I wish you could show a picture of your problem I work in wood as a hobby and build cabinets and furniture for family and freinds. I or someone else may be able to help. 8-)
cwit

Unread postby jemek on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:50 pm

I will head out there this afternoon and get some pictures. I took one off to show my neighbor, but he is out of town for the week. Hoping he could help. I haven't tried to post pictures yet. I should have thought about that.
jemek

Unread postby cwit on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

If your like me I have to get my wife to do it lol
cwit

Unread postby jemek on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Try to add picture
Attachments
002.JPG
Picture of cabinet
jemek

Unread postby jemek on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

It worked...now for the one's on the other side.
Attachments
012.JPG
jemek

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:45 pm

That's a pretty unusual problem, and you say it happens repeatedly? Kind of makes me wonder what the doors are made of. My guess would be that it's some kind of sandwich of laminates and there is a differential shrinking of two of the layers. If not laminates then the verticle pieces may be a different material than the horizontal pieces. Are you storing the trailer with doors open or closed? Might be worthwhile to do the OTHER whichever the answer is.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:30 am

It looks like your raised panels were to big and sepperated the rail and stiles. If you can't get warrenty to replace them I believe they can be repaired by a cabinet maker or even a good woodworker. In the picture they look like real wood.
cwit

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 pm

That looks really awful. The problem is probably not with the rails and stiles, but rather with the panel expanding and pushing out against the rails. Are the panels glued in place or are they floating. They should be slightly under-sized and allowed to float, thus leaving some expansion room. I don't have this problem as our climate tends to be quite dry, but woodworkers in humid areas will always allow extra space for expansion of the panels.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby kilbrider on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Had the exact same problem with my ST26RK last year and had them replaced under warranty. Just checked my rig this morning for the first time this season and noticed the problem is back again this year, but not as drastic as last year. I guess it'll be back to the dealer again.
Leah & Cliff ( just us)
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280WS
2015 Ford F250 XLT, 4X4
kilbrider

Unread postby pwall on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 pm

I've never seen this happen before. weird....
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jemek on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:15 pm

kilbrider wrote:Had the exact same problem with my ST26RK last year and had them replaced under warranty. Just checked my rig this morning for the first time this season and noticed the problem is back again this year, but not as drastic as last year. I guess it'll be back to the dealer again.

When we took in last year and had them fixed. The guy said it was a common problem. I think I am going to mail crossroads about it. I really do not want to go through this every year. I am thinking of having my neighbor look at them as he does a lot of finish carpentry work. Last year when we took it to the local dealer it took them 3 weeks to get it back to us.

This is the only issue/complaint we have with it so far.
jemek

Unread postby jemek on Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 am

Well...gee not sure what we are going to do now. We are waiting to hear back from Crossroads for help.

According to the service center here....we were still waiting on the new cabinet doors to arrive. So we called and left a message last week with the dealer.

Had not heard from them...so we called Crossroads, left message.

Then the dealer called back...they had also called Crossroads...they were told that due to the current economy, they did not have any cabinet makers on staff. So they are unable to fill the order for the replacement cabinets at this time.

That was it!!!
So we have called Crossroads back...and are waiting to hear. Now last year..this would not have been a big as issue, as it was just the a few over the couch/dinette. Nor was it as bad so we could still get them to close.

This year it is way worse and there is no way to even get some of them to close. I sure don't want them banging away as we go down the road.

We may have to try and repair them temporarily...or take them off and then not have anything in the cabinet when we are on the road.

If this link works it will show all more pictures.
http://s531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/jemek64/
jemek

Unread postby cwit on Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 am

By looking at your pictures you have an easy fix that would be hard to spot when done. If you go back to Crossroads and they give you new doors again you will have the same problem next year. I know hindsite is 20 20 do you leave any roofvents open through the winter or is your camper closed up tight.
cwit

Unread postby jemek on Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 am

cwit wrote:By looking at your pictures you have an easy fix that would be hard to spot when done. If you go back to Crossroads and they give you new doors again you will have the same problem next year. I know hindsite is 20 20 do you leave any roofvents open through the winter or is your camper closed up tight.

Some of them the wood is actually split in spots.

We do not leave roof vents open they are closed. We try to go down once a month and check on it. We had checked on it in Nov, finished winterizing it. Then we did not get back to it til the end of February.

There is an update: We heard back from Crossroads. Seems the dealership is not telling the truth...SURPRISE...NOT, as we have not been real happy with the service after the sell with this dealership to begin with. This is just another reason to add to the list.

According to the Crossroads...no they do not make/repair they own cabinets. They are actually made my someone else and they order them premade and ready to install. The only issue might be that they are not available anymore, and to tell that they need the VIN # of the trailer and all the measurements. The dealership...never asked us for the VIN, but I would think they would have it on file in the system. I think the dealership forgot.

So now we are dealing with Crossroads directly.

I am not a woodworking cabinet person, do you think if they are repaired by someone who knows what they are doing, it will be fixed correctly.

I know that when we get the new one's chances are it will happen again. Just not sure what to do different. We have always stored it with the cabinet doors closed.
What about leaving them open, so they have that room to expand and contract...I imagine that is what is causing it. Bring it home once a month and run heat. We do live in the very wet PNW. We are going to use more of those Dry Air thingees. This past winter we had one, it seems that we could have used a couple more, or I just need to make sure we get there every month to check on it.
jemek

Unread postby jemek on Thu May 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Well this is the final update of sorts...I will not go into all the details..

No they do not carry these one's anymore at all and actually stopped using this type the year after ours was made, due to integrity/quality issues. I know of one other person who has one that is the same year as ours and has had the same issue. With that said...they dumped it for that reason.

They have to get them custom made replacements. Crossroads stated they would ship the directly to us, since the manufacturers warranty did expire 2 weeks prior to this. They also know that is a manufacture defect and will replace all the doors, but will not cover any labor costs. They said we should have them in 3-4 weeks. We emailed them back stating great, but if at all possible we would like them shipped ASAP, due to the fact that we leave for a 3 week trip on June 17th. They responded that they would have the drop shipped directly from the place that is making them, vs shipping them to Crossroads first and then to us.

We are going to attempt with our neighbors assistance to at least make the current ones workable even that we can get buy for the next couple of shorter trips that we have planned.
jemek

Return to Travel Trailers