Skip to content

Change font size

About ready to trade Trailer for Ark

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

About ready to trade Trailer for Ark

Unread postby Rough2000 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:41 pm

We have really had the rain around here. While we got about 4 inches of rain here in the central part of Arkansas, some areas in the northwest part of the state received over 12 inches. I heard that a few of our state parks may have received some damage. I don't believe any campers have been hurt. Being most campgrounds are in lowlying areas, we must keep in mind the dangers that weather can bring. How are some of the other states doing as this is a pretty large storm?
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Re: About ready to trade Trailer for Ark

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:30 pm

I think up here in Kansas we probably got the best deal of all from it. Just had a solid day of slow steady rain which is just what we needed. I heard some areas East of here got rains measured in feet also. In Indiana it was on top of a foot of snow. WOW
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:53 pm

6 to 12 inches of rain here in SE Missouri. The local river (named Big River oddly enough even though normally it isn't that big) was well out of its banks and has closed several roads. It crested higher with this storm than I have ever seen it in our area. A couple towns to the south of where I live, Piedmont and Ellington MO had a horrible day yesterday with flooding. It looks like the worst is over for us now, and all this flood water is heading North to St. Louis. The Meramec River and Big River (North of me) are expected to crest at record setting levels in the next few days. We have been needing rain for quite some time going back to last summer, and I think we made up for it all at once! As the storm moved out, it dropped some fat snowflakes before ending. I am now looking forward to getting out the mower when the sun gets a couple days to shine on the grassy areas and the temps warm.

I haven't heard how my favorite campground, Montauk State Park has fared during this flood, but I fear it isn't pretty. :cry:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:05 am

Heard anything about the Current down around Van Buren? It must have soaked up a bunch of that rain also. No time to be canoing right now I bet. Have you ever stopped at the Jolly Cone down there? That little place just fascinates me and we NEVER fail to stop when we're in the area.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 am

skipnchar wrote:Heard anything about the Current down around Van Buren? It must have soaked up a bunch of that rain also. No time to be canoing right now I bet. Have you ever stopped at the Jolly Cone down there? That little place just fascinates me and we NEVER fail to stop when we're in the area.

Current River originates in Montauk State Park as a spring. No I haven't heard how bad it is, but I am sure it must be terribly flooded in that area as well.

Never been to the Jolly Cone, but now it is on my list of places to see this summer! What should I expect?
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:58 am

It's just a little small town fast food joint but it has the largest menu of items I've ever seen in a walk up place. I think it's kind of a staple for folks coming off the river on float or canoe trips. Food is really good and priced easy. We like it enough that we drove down for lunch once when we were camping up at Onadaga on the Merimac and that's about a 3 hour drive. Left right after breakfast and got there in time for lunch LOL.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:03 am

skipnchar wrote:It's just a little small town fast food joint but it has the largest menu of items I've ever seen in a walk up place. I think it's kind of a staple for folks coming off the river on float or canoe trips. Food is really good and priced easy. We like it enough that we drove down for lunch once when we were camping up at Onadaga on the Merimac and that's about a 3 hour drive. Left right after breakfast and got there in time for lunch LOL.

Cool! Thanks for the tip! Next time we are down at Clearwater Lake we will have to drive over there and check it out.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:10 am

Man, we could use some more rain this year, come May & June our rain is over and the hot summer sets in. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm

We got another 2 to 3 inches in this area again today. The ground is like pudding. We have been getting rain from showers to downpours about every 2 to 3 days since that flooding rain back on March 19th. And prior to that, we got quite a bit of snow and ice during February and the first part of March. It's great we finally broke out of a drought pattern that has been going on for months, but we really need some dry time now. We can't get the taters in the ground! :D
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I feel for you guys , the heavy stuff can be very damageing and ruin peoples lives and our thoughts and prays go out to them, Dallas got hit with very strong winds last night. last year here in Texas especially central texas got nailed by flooding rain and campgrounds were damaged and we even had trips cancelled :cry:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 pm

jp rver wrote:We got another 2 to 3 inches in this area again today.

We're getting hit again tonight (that's about 3 in a row) but most of the worst of it is passing us to the South (probably passing right over your area). We were in drought for quite a few years but the last couple of them have been normal or above normal precipitation. Right now, thanks to the frequent snows this winter (most of which I missed :D) we're about 4" above normal for the year.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 am

All that water is coming to New Orleans. The Mississippi is at flood stage from Cape Girardeau, MO to New Orleans. Tomorrow The COE will open the Bonnet Carre Spillway just west of New Orleans to divert water to Lake Pontchartrain to relieve pressure on the levies.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby jp rver on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 am

skipnchar wrote:We're getting hit again tonight (that's about 3 in a row) but most of the worst of it is passing us to the South (probably passing right over your area).

Our rain today pretty much ended this afternoon. The line of storms this evening that formed in extreme southeast Missouri and Arkansas missed us to the south and east thankfully. It rained steady and hard for about 12 hours this morning though. Looks like a fairly dry weekend, but cool. I have to drive to Blue Springs MO on Saturday, that's up by KC, and the forecast is calling for rain and/or snow showers in that area.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to Travel Trailers