Skip to content

Change font size

Brought Home our 09 Rockwood 8319SS

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Brought Home our 09 Rockwood 8319SS

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:39 pm

Brought home our new trailer today. We picked it up on Friday, went through the PDI, had the WD hitch and brake controller installed and promptly went camping. Spend two nights at Vermillion Provincial Park. We had a grand time exploring our new trailer, learning what was where. This is our first Travel Trailer so we do have a lot to learn.

It is pushing the limits of our truck. I'm within the axel weight limits and the CGVWR, but just (within 5% of the max). We'll use this truck to go camping in the province next year. In 2010 the lease comes up for renewal and we may decide we need to get a bigger truck. Next year is our test year.

FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Re: Brought Home our 09 Rockwood 8319SS

Unread postby catmom on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Congrats! And that's great you were able to take it out & use it right away! Looks like a nice campsite too. Enjoy getting acquainted with your new rolling "cottage" ! :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Limey on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:12 pm

Congratulations! Nice loking trailer - looks similar to Skip's trailer.

As you think you are near your limits, I see a Ram 2500 CTD in your future - say 2010 :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 am

Just like christmas in August best of luck with the new home away from home!!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby cwit on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:38 pm

That is one fine camper,now enjoy it to the fullest. If you have any questions ask away someone will have an answer and it keeps the forum exciting. :D
cwit

Unread postby jp rver on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Very nice camper!!!

We did something similar when we bought our Surveyor back in 2005. We went to the dealer to pick up the trailer after the PDI, and headed straight from there to Montauk State Park for 3 nights. It was a blast and an excellent way to get to know our trailer with the PD knowledge still fresh in our heads. Unfortunately the day we took delivery, a the remnants of a tropical storm (Dennis I think it was called) decided to cross Missouri, and our brand new sparkly clean trailer was a filthy mess by the time we arrived to the park. :lol: (It's funny now, but sure wasn't funny that day!)

Have fun in your new TT!!
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Its always fun to bring the new toy home. :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Nice looking combo, have fun
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby thetwoofus on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Nice Home away from home. We are spending this week in ours in the Huron National Forest in Mi. Actually we are at what we call Camp Matthews. It's on the North trail leading back to the 40 acres of hardwoods belonging to my in-laws. We are up here this week taking care of some family matters of my in-laws. Mother is in a nursing home and Dad is 87 and in pretty bad health due to a couple mini strokes. We are using the new Rockwood to live in while here and getting us ready for our trip S. in Dec after Christmas.
This is our 2nd trip with ours and we truly enjoy it. I have to tell you this because I pull this with our 2007 HD 1/2 ton 6 LTR Crew Cab Silverado with a topper on and even with a hard cross wind on I-75 yesterday in the rain, We couldn't even feel the trailer behind us. No wiggle, no wobble, no sway. It pulls just beautifully behind us. The Hensley Arrow makes driving even in a strong cross wind enjoyable.
I am really looking forward to our trip to South Texas this year. Last year I knew I was being passed even before I seen the passing vehicle, then it was pushing us as it went by. No more of that with the Hensley.
Enjoy your new Rockport, we sure do ours. :D
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby catmom on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Last year I knew I was being passed even before I seen the passing vehicle, then it was pushing us as it went by. No more of that with the Hensley.
What was your previous hitch? (Just curious). We do get the wiggle & wobble, but no sway so far. DH makes sure to keep our Equal-i-zer torqued properly.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby thetwoofus on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:34 pm

catmom wrote:
Last year I knew I was being passed even before I seen the passing vehicle, then it was pushing us as it went by. No more of that with the Hensley.
What was your previous hitch?  (Just curious).  We do get the wiggle & wobble, but no sway so far. DH makes sure to keep our Equal-i-zer torqued properly.

I used the equailier Reese hitch with the one sway bar. It was what was recommended when I bought my 30"Arolite, it was installed by the dealer and each time I hooked up I left the 3 links hanging on the chains and used the sway bar as instructed. It worked well except for the push and pull on the freeway. I really never had a bad sway as I've seen on the highway's before, I just don't want to chance it. Once ya loose it, it's gone.. ya know what I mean??
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:09 am

thetwoofus wrote:
catmom wrote:
What was your previous hitch?  (Just curious).  We do get the wiggle & wobble, but no sway so far. DH makes sure to keep our Equal-i-zer torqued properly.

I used the equailier Reese hitch with the one sway bar. It was what was recommended when I bought my 30"Arolite, it was installed by the dealer and each time I hooked up I left the 3 links hanging on the chains and used the sway bar as instructed. It worked well except for the push and pull on the freeway. I really never had a bad sway as I've seen on the highway's before, I just don't want to chance it. Once ya loose it, it's gone.. ya know what I mean??

Actually Reese doesn't make an Equalizer hitch as that is a separate company. You most likely have a standard weight distributing hitch with your friction bar. The friction bar works pretty well for trailers under 25 feet in length but even the manufacturer does not recommend them for anything larger unless you install two friction bars. The most often seen error in USING this type of anti sway system is from trying to use the HANDLE as an adjustment for the friction bar. Make SURE you tighten it as tight as it will go then back it off only enough to align the handle with the bar itself.

If you LIKE the friction activated anti sway system you could go to an actual Equal-i-zer brand hitch with built in friction sway control (they work very well) or for another good option that is also very reasonably priced move up to a Reese Duel Cam system where the tension on the spring bars controls the sway and actually works to straighten the connection rather than just maintaining the current angle. No doubt that a Hensley or Pull-right will do the job if you don't mind spending 5 times the money though. Good luck / Skip

BTW: From your description you are not experiencing trailer sway but rather the bow wave effect caused by the wind turbulence of passing vehicles. The same type of equipment will cure BOTH problems but actual trailer SWAY is CAUSED by a problem with your trailer, tow vehicle or the way they interact. Bow wave is a natural occurrence and does not indicate that anything is wrong with either vehicle. Good luck / Skip
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thetwoofus on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:56 pm

The friction bar works pretty well for trailers under 25 feet in length but even the manufacturer does not recommend them for anything larger unless you install two friction bars.

Good information Skip, Seeing where you say the friction bar is for a trailer under 25 feet, I went out to my garage and on the shelf got the box down with the sway bar in it. Sure enough it says 24 feet or less, and the dealer put it on my 30 foot trailer with the 2" ball on the hitch and a 2" receiver on the trailer,which started comming apart at Lake Pleasant AZ in March. Being a travel trailer greenie, I didn't know any better. It's a darn thing I had 30 years of running down the Hwy's with a trailer behind me. Having that experience kept me from being like a lot of other people I seen with the white knuckles on the steering wheel. ind you our trip from my driveway and back to my driveway was 9,899 miles. Mi to CA. AZ TX and SC and everything in between. :roll:
Even after we got home and I had complained about it, nothing was ever said about having the two sway control bars. Actually I had contacted Hensley Arrow long before our trip ended to enquire about the Hensley and it was then I decided to buy one no matter what the cost. Luckily we got a reconditioned one with the same warranty for 2500.00. It's the best purchases I've made for our new and heavier Rockwood and my 1500 HD Silverado pulls it with no problem.
Now I have a Reese hitch and a Huskey 24" Sway Control with spring clip connectors collecting dust in my garage. Bummers!!
Oh, by the way I didn't know the frame was separting starting at the cuppler until I got home and handed the steel plate that fell out of the cuppler in AZ. I about crapped when I heard that and realized that sucker could have come loose anywhere along our route from AZ to SC and back to MI.
Hate to drag this out but I need to tell you this too. After I had the repairs made to the Aerolite, I park it in my yard and didn't use it again. I made the trade where I got my Rockwood and at this time even with the problems, the Aerolite was clean and fully repaired by the dealer under warranty. I drove it the 40 miles to Grand Rapids Mi and when I got there just in front of the little slide out was a 6" crack on the outside of the siding, going from the bottom up. That had to happen on the way to Grand Rapids because it was not there the day before when I washed it so it would be cleaned when I turned it in. I was two weeks out of the structural warranty at that time but the dealer got it covered by contacting Thor. I think that happened when the wielding shop put a c-clamp on the couppler to draw it back in to wield that piece that fell off back on. :shock:
I sure was happy to get rid of that set of wheels.
thetwoofus

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I am a firm believer in the Reese Dual Cam. I have been the friction bar route. It worked great on my 26' TT, but when I went to 32' the friction bar was useless.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:02 pm

The dealer installed a Reese Weight Distribution bar, just looking at it and comparing it to what is on the Reese website I believe it is the "The Draw-Tite 1,700 lb Tow Beast Weight Distribution Hitch" http://assets.iqestores.com/product_img/170/66006.jpg should bring up a picture of the bars I have on mine.

I have not towed it too many miles yet and just had this installed. There were a few times the unit seemed to sway in the wind (and we were travelling on a windy day out on the open prairie). Worst was when a tanker truck with pup flew by me doing Goodness knows what speed - I was just doing the speed limit, a rare event on local roads in these parts.

I am returning to the dealer to have the mattress on the sofa bed installed (they forgot to put it in :( ) And he is going to show me the ropes on how to winterize the unit. I think I'll talk to him about the options then, and either upgrade then or wait until I've had a year experience with the rig as it sit now before upgrading. Chances are we will upgrade the truck in July 2010 when the lease is up on the half ton. I'll be looking at a 3/4 ton, maybe even a diesel.
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby Limey on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Fortktentdad: Looking at your picture, I see a weight distribution hitch only. Do you have friction anti-sway bars as well. If not then you have no anti-sway at all. The hitch you show can be converted by adding the dual cam brackets.

Interesting that this should come up, but my buddy who camps with me all the time had his hitch installed by the dealer (who told him that he had anti-sway). His setup was identical to the picture in your link. He had no friction sway and presumed that the weight distribution hitch he bought was also for anti-sway. He constantly had sway and had no clue as to why. I explained on one trip when I realized that he didn't even have friction sway and, as I had no more use for my dual cam hitch, I sold him the pieces he needed. He is now one happy camper, with no sway.

This is the full hitch with the dual cam pieces that I have for sale here (only now I have sold the dual cam thingys!):
Dual Cam Hitch
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:24 pm

congratulations on the new trailer. I'd have to agree with Limey that you CERTAINLY need a Reese DC or Equal-i-zer for a trailer that big. Friction bars are generally recommended only for 26 feet and under.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Travel Trailers