Skip to content

Change font size

What are the Necessities Trailer Campers Should Bring?

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

What are the Necessities Trailer Campers Should Bring?

Unread postby JQSpree on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm

As I am packing and deciding what to take and what we don't need, I was thinking that it might be interesting to see what other travel trailer campers take with them on every camping trip? I'm thinking more of things like extra fuses, circuit breakers, things that could prevent a trip from being a disaster. Do you have extras for everyone in trailer? I know we all have duct tape and rope and probably wire. What else shoud I put in my box? I'm also assuming we all carry basic tools like screwdrivers and wrenches.

I would assume that motorhome owners would have different requirements?

What else?
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Re: What are the Necessities Trailer Campers Should Bring?

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I have 2 favorite tools I carry,got both at a flea market. A combination pliers that has a needle nose and linemans pliers plus wire cutters and strippers built into it, and a combination screwdriver that has 5 bits including the square drive that fits the outside trim screws on the TT. Other stuff would be just the basic stuff, flashlight, first aid kit, TP, etc. Extra batteries and cell phone charger. Deck of cards and other games. Bug repellent. Beer.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:39 pm

I for one, carry WAY too many tools. Should the need arise I'm pretty sure I could "whip up" a Boeing 747 alongside the highway. As for parts, not that much since chances are I'd never have the particular one I'd need. Just a few extra 12 volt fuses, an assortment of screws, nuts and washers and the usual duck tape, bailing wire and WD 40. I DO carry lots of different lubricants though, bearing grease, white lithium grease, oil for the generator and chain saw, silicone spray for th e slide seals and bug and tar remover for the front cap. I also carry a multi-meter, kill-a-watt and Equus battery tester, hydrometer and distilled water.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:00 pm

I carried absolutely no tools on our big trip this summer with the thoughts that If I don't carry any, I won't tempt fate by actually needing them.

Sadly that didn't exactly work out, but hey, it was a nice try. :-)

Only absolute necessities for us is a full tank of fresh water, a full tank of diesel, and a destination. :D
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby catmom on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:20 pm

DH has some neat tools (screwdriver sounds a bit like the one mikhen mentioned), and of course we have duct tape, rope, etc. We also happen to have (for some reason) 3 water pressure regulators - no clue why this many! But the one thing we have used more than any other single thing over the years is taillight bulbs. We had recurring problems with one of them on our PUP, and replaced it many times; in the second year of ownership our HTT had a taillight that blew (and of course the ones we already had, from the PUP, weren't the right kind so we had to try to go buy a new one - with trailer in tow :roll: ), and we expect to have to change them on the new TT before too long - we have umpteen different kinds (well, maybe 4 ;) ) inside the trailer, though, so it will take quite a stash to be adequate.
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Zinger wrote:Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ahh, almost forgot! Yes, cannot leave home without that.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 am

PrivatePilot wrote:
Zinger wrote:Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ahh, almost forgot! Yes, cannot leave home without that.

Wot? Wot? Fergit the dang coffee! Make sure you take the beer!

Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby wintek on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 pm

For me the only thing I would consider a disaster would be not being able to pull trailer down the road. Anything else is just an inconvenience. I carry everything to change tire or wheel bearing if necessary. When I moved from a PUP to HTT I began unloading the PUP of 18 years to the trailer. I discovered things packed away that in 18 years I never used so I am now a bit more frugal when packing. I try to go with multi use items. Someone mentioned the all in one pliers, a screw drive with multiple bits including the #2 hex/ torque bit, a gator grip (strange socket that fits may bolt sizes as seen on TV :D ), small hatchet with hammer head, ect…

I changed my dump cover to one of these:

The water hose connection comes in handy if you need to release a little gray water through water hose. Water backed up in shower is not fun. Hopefully the gray water police will start new thread.

I also like the Stanley Tripod flash light. When folded up it’s a light weight LED flashlight that also has a swivel head and transforms into a tripod light. Very handy for night time chores when both hands are required. (See gray water reference above).

Another very useful camping tool is a *GOOD* folding shovel. I use mine to poke fire, get coals for Dutch oven, bury dog waste, clean grill and hit, bang and scrap stuff.
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:25 pm

We had to go to wal-mart and buy a battery charger to keep our battery's charged so we could have lights at night. This problem started in Texas and by the time we got to S. Carolina we were having so many problems we headed home to Mi. That Areolite is now gone.. We found that one problem was due to a staple being shot into a wire on the slid-out during production. Other problems with that RV I won't even address here. Needless to say we were very un-happy with that trailer.
I will probably carry this battery charger when ever we head out on the road. It saved our butt that trip.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby mikhen on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:43 pm

thetwoofus wrote:We had to go to wal-mart and buy a battery charger to keep our battery's charged so we could have lights at night. This problem started in Texas and by the time we got to S. Carolina we were having so many problems we headed home to Mi. That Areolite is now gone.. We found that one problem was due to a staple being shot into a wire on the slid-out during production. Other problems with that RV I won't even address here. Needless to say we were very un-happy with that trailer.
I will probably carry this battery charger when ever we head out on the road. It saved our butt that trip.

Nice TT!! Look at those windows to clean. J/K. Looks really nice though. Can't say I've seen a setup like that before.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks mikhen, I put some more shots of it on the photo sharing thread. We really like it and the windows won't be a problem because I use a super concentrate squeegee off window cleaner that I got at Ace Hardware. It's really nice stuff and leaves the windows streak free and clean. A good squeegee is the seacret.
I'll get some inside shots of it posted as soon as I get a chance.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 pm

What a coincidence, I'm putting together the list of stuff we need to take when we pick up our trailer next weekend. The dealer is two hours away, so we'll have to pack everything into the truck, drive there, and pack the trailer on the dealers lot. We'll do that right after he gives us the goods on how everything works (he said at least an hour, longer because a) we are new trailer owners and b) I talk too much.

So I'm putting together a list of everything we need, from bed sheets to toilet paper (opps, he said it came with toilet paper and chemicals in their courtesy starters package).

So keep on posting folks, as I see things I don't have on my list, my list grows. That battery charger by the way, was that for the 12V auto-battery or for small flashlight batteries? (or should I just bring both?).

With such a very late start in the season we'll pack it all in there, and MAYBE get one more weekend camping in September before the snow hits us in October.
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Of course I'll have the MINIMALISTS TOOL BOX

Contains three items. WD40, Duct Tape, Hammer.

Step 1: IF problem is the darn thing is supposed to move but ain't - spray with WD40.
Step 2: IF problem is the parts aren't staying together like they should - use Duct Tape
Step 3: IF steps one and two don't solve problem, hit with hammer. :twisted:
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby catmom on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Fortkentdad, if you have any females camping with you, you'll need more TP than they include in that starter kit! I'd recommend getting an additional sewer hose, preferably a 15' to 20' one; many of the ones they sell at the dealers' are tougher and better built than the 10' one in the kit (though our original kit one lasted us at least a year of heavy use). The longer one is much better for reaching sewer hookups and dump stations that are configured a little differently (or if your trailer is configured differently, which ours is).

Just make sure to get 1-ply TP and don't pay more than $3 for a package of 4 rolls, if you can help it. Our dealer carries several brands, one of which costs double what the other does. :)
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby thetwoofus on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:32 pm

That battery charger by the way, was that for the 12V auto-battery or for small flashlight batteries? (or should I just bring both?).

The charger I bought and will carry with me is a 12V battery charger in case I have an electrical problem and my battery's go dead. I have two batteries on the Rockwood. It comes with just one, but I like two just to have the extra if I need it.
I don't worry about the flashlight batteries, hardly ever use one.
thetwoofus

Unread postby JQSpree on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Wow, lots of good stuff. On our last trip, our 7th so far this yr and since we bought trailer, I was thinking of all the things that could go wrong and I did not have spare parts. Mainly fuses and breakers but there could be others. I have also found that several things I have had packed since first trip, we haven't used yet. Do I dare take them out and tempt fate or just leave them there to make sure all is ok?

I lost a socket for dealing with stablizers that made it more difficult to quickly set up or break camp. I also used my 30 amp extension cord for the 1st time in 7 trips. Have also lost two rear bumper caps and had to tape end to get home since I didn't have extras.
John and Darlene
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

After today I'll add one more: Jumper cables ;)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:06 am

Best thing to bring along is your sense of humor! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby thetwoofus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:48 am

skipnchar wrote:After today I'll add one more: Jumper cables ;)

Oh oh skipnchar, That sounds serious.
thetwoofus

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 am

thetwoofus wrote:
skipnchar wrote:After today I'll add one more: Jumper cables ;)

What's with being towed 65 miles in the middle of nowhere (trailer and truck) to get diagnosed and new battery installed it became approximately $750.00 serious for a simple battery that quit after 5 years instead of about 125 bucks if I'd have had jumpers :o

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thetwoofus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:24 am

What's with being towed 65 miles in the middle of nowhere (trailer and truck) to get diagnosed and new battery installed it became approximately $750.00 serious for a simple battery that quit after 5 years instead of about 125 bucks if I'd have had jumpers :o

OUCH!! That can be en eye opener. Tell me this, would the GoodSam ERS worked for an incident like you had? Could it have saved you any money? http://www.goodsamers.com/index.cfm?promocode=DRGSCC477
I have it but wondered if it was worth re-newing in Nov. when it expires.
thetwoofus

Unread postby Zinger on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:04 am

A broom is very important!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 am

The broom is a very good thing to have, something else I stumbled across and thought I'd try it and by gosh it really works. Here is the description and you can buy them almost any where.. :)

Cordless Swivel Sweeper™ uses no bags or filters! Powerful brush-roll action lifts all kinds of debris from wood, tile, and carpeted floors, and sweeps dirt right into the easily emptied tray. 360-degree swiveling head and side brushes clean in every direction to let you get into corners and grab dirt from along walls. Low-profile, lightweight design gets under and around furniture with ease. Runs up to 45 minutes on a single charge from included battery and charger.

Can be seen here : http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/ ... f89e2b892c

Many times things "as seen on TV" are a farce. This actually works and is really nice in a TT or any camper. Heck I even use it around my chair at home where things might fall out of my hands while the TV is distracting me. :lol: :lol:
thetwoofus

Unread postby catmom on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:03 pm

After a friend recommended it, we bought a "Shark" (another brand of cordless sweeper). It works quite well! We keep it in the house for now, but have used it to clean up the trailer after a sandy campout, and it was great. Really lightweight, so it's easy to carry. Not sure where we'd store it for camping use - perhaps just keep it in the truck bed. Weighs all of maybe 3-4 pounds.
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:41 pm

plenty of toilet paper and about 5ish gallons of water to flush with (power can go out at campgrounds also.)
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:15 am

WOMEN!!!!!!...................oh, and beer
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby JQSpree on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:00 am

Lots more good info. Of course the givens were now thrown in: women, coffee, beer!!!

Skip, sorry about your trouble, can't believe someone coming bye didn't have cables or were you really boondocking?

Thats what Good Sam ERS has been trying to sign me up for on a monthly basis with their advertising to prevent from happening.

I'm not sure I could change a trailer tire or wheel bearing either. I did buy a hydralic jack and have my 4-way tire wrench.
John and Darlene
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:05 pm

I know this is really unhelpful, but I always make sure to bring lots of beer. If WD-40, duct tape or hammers don't work, after enough time has passed, it just doesn't matter anymore and it can stay broken. :D
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby mopar1973 on Sat May 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Hmmm... I've got a simple socket set that I normally keep in the truck. It got just about every socket you can think off (metric and American) then screwdriver bits, Allen sockets, torx sockets, etc. I'm normally packing my leatherman tool on my belt while traveling. Tool wise I'm covered but some of the extras like the duct tape, electrical tape, fuses, bulbs, etc are great! I need to add a few more things to my tool bag in the basement.

As for enjoyment... Make sure you bring your ATV, plenty of fuelColemanan stove so you can cook outsideColemanan lantern for night lighting, shovel is always handy for digging leveling holes for when boondocking or bleeding a bit of grey water, popcorn popper, folding chairs, hammock to snooze in, etc.

I'm always packing a full tank of clean water since I can't drink city water.

Beer & Whiskey a must to have. Coffee for the mornings... And plenty of good cuts of beef to BBQ! :D

But I agree after enough beer you really don't care about what's broken you'll deal with that when it time to leave... Camp On! ;)
Michael Nelson - aka: Mopar1973Man
2002 Dodge Ram Cummins Towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
mopar1973

Unread postby JQSpree on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

Wow, this is an old thread. Enjoyed reading thru it again. I think as we get more experience, this list changes---add new things or take away stuff we've carried for years and not used. Have to think on this and update!!!
John and Darlene
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 am

Your Family!! dont leave them home
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mopar1973Man on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Zinger wrote:Your Family!! dont leave them home

No kidding camping alone is just no fun... :shock:
Michael Nelson - aka: Mopar1973Man
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel (Many Mods)
2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Mopar1973Man wrote:
Zinger wrote:Your Family!! dont leave them home

No kidding camping alone is just no fun... :shock:

Yup - did it once. Went stir crazy. Next time DW couldn't be there I took two of my dogs. Big difference! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 am

Extra Toilet Paper its no fun running out!!
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Truck stops

Unread postby marquejohn on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 pm

All Stays specializes in providing free and easy locator guide to truck stops and travel center in North America.
marquejohn

Re: Truck stops

Unread postby Limey on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:42 pm

marquejohn wrote:All Stays specializes in providing free and easy locator guide to truck stops and travel center in North America.

That's a useful link! Thanks for providing it - and welcome to the Forum. :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ejdixon on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:15 am

Mechanics tool kit, extra fuses, jumper cable, and a properly inflated spare tire. :D
ejdixon

Unread postby Atchafalaya_man on Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 pm

While off the subject of tools, etc., I must say we have reduced our kitchen wares tremendously. We do travel in a Truck Camper, BUT, we also had a 5th wheeler. The 5ver was stocked like a 5 star restaurant when it comes to cookware, etc.

What we discovered is that Stainless Steel bowls stack to nearly the size of a single bowl, and finding a few pots that mate with them, has reduced our load. We also carry one cooking pot, a Wok. It boils water, stir frys, is our bread toaster (a couple of slices work with a spatula), it's a fish fryer, pancake grill, and so on. Here are some pics of our entire setup.
THIS:

Unfolds into this:

Here's where the Wok rides.

You'll notice 4 hard plates, and the rest hard plastic (reusable, but disposable) and of course, paper.
Atchafalaya_man

Unread postby pwall on Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing!
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby frank on Tue May 08, 2012 6:22 am

You best not forget the fishing poles and welcome to the form :lol:
frank

Unread postby frank on Tue May 08, 2012 8:49 am

There is one more thing not to forget and that is the swiffer we never go camping without it :evil:
frank

Return to Travel Trailers