Skip to content

Change font size

pre season checklist

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

pre season checklist

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 pm

What do you do to unwinterize and get ready for spring
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: pre season checklist

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Well...if you're like some lucky people, and happen to have a brand new trailer, the to do list is a lot smaller than the rest of us :D Probably only need to flush out the antifreeze, sanitize the fresh water system, and put on a fresh coat of wax or other clean up items. If the battery has been removed for storage, check the electrolyte levels and make sure it's fully charged and terminals are clean, tires aired up properly and you're ready to go.

Those of us who have "used up" the brand new from our units can add a brake inspection and adjustment, wheel bearing pack (depending on how much you've towed since the last time) and maybe a roof cleaning. During spring start up is a good time to change batteries in smoke detectors, cartridges in the water filter is you use one and don't forget the fire extinguisher. Turn it upside down for a few minutes then shake it up well before replacing it in the holder. If it's out of date, have it serviced by a professional. Check the propane system for any signs of leaks and clean out the inspection panels for the fridge and water heater. vacuum out spider webs, leaves and check for mud dobber nests that can effect operation of these appliances. Pull the anode rod out of your water heater if it's a Suburban and make sure it doesn't need replacing. If you have an Atwood, a new nylon drain plug is a good idea. When I had one I replaced it every season (after braking one off and having to dig it out). New washers in the hose connection and check for corrosion around the shore power connection (or if permanently attached, the ends of the power cord). Oil hinges and check screws around door trim and hatch covers and check running lights to make sure all bulbs are lighting and flashing properly.

In either case you'd want to start everything up and make sure it's working properly. Furnace, fridge, water heater, air conditioner, microwave, TV, water pump etc.

Now...do I DO all of those things? Naw but it sure would be a good idea ;)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:54 pm

I am sure they all get done by the second or third camping trip.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Mikey on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:38 am

This year I have a brand new unit, so I'm kinda lucky. Next year though, I think I'll take my PDI list, and edit down and use that for a once over. As well as the flush for the antifreeze. The cleaning of the fridge and tubs and stuff (dust from sitting around) would be on the list. The battery is going to be topped up during the winter with a battery tender so that won't be much of an issue. I'll fill up the propane on a nice day, or pull the trailer through a filling station on the way to the first camp out.

Speaking of which, the first camp out is always where it's stored (or close to it) once the un-winterising is done so I'm not surprised when we are an hour from a Canadian Tire.
2008 Amerilite 23bw
Towed by a Silverado 2500 HD.
Other toys:CBR1100XX,EX500 ImageImage

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket, does.
Mikey
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Hook it up and go.... 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:06 am

DeWinterize???? :?:
What is winter?? :D
I am really glad my dad moved to So Cal before I was born, cuz Missouri HAS a winter.....

:twisted: Camp on!!
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Return to Travel Trailers