Skip to content

Change font size

Hot Water Heater Issue

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Hot Water Heater Issue

Unread postby Cjordan on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 pm

My boyfriend and I are newbie RV'ers. We purchased a 2003 Idle Time, 21 foot travel trailer a couple of months ago. We have been researching an issue we are having with the hot water heater not staying lit. We have checked for dirt, wasp nests, etc. and there appears to be no blockage. Last night we tinkered with it and noticed a small amount of water in the burner tube. Sorry, I'm not sure what the technical term for this part is but the piece that contains the flame. I have attached a video so you can see that the flame is not steady. It seems to flicker quite a bit and we are wondering if the thermal coupler needs replaced. Any ideas as to why there may be water in the tube? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] 20170607_202021_1.mp4 [ 14.75 MiB | Viewed 352 times ]

Cjordan

Re: Hot Water Heater Issue

Unread postby RonJK on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Water heaters can have a active flame as it is usually the wind if you have the access door open.
Is the flame blue or is there a lot of orange in the flame. It should be blue. If it is orange the air shutter may be plugged with dust, cobwebs or any other many of debris. The water heater should be service and cleaned. Burner removed, and cleaned as well as the thermocouple may have soot on the end and it may to be cleaned as well.
If the thermocouple was no good the heater would not run at all.

A little water in the burner tube may be condensation.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hot Water Heater Issue

Unread postby Cjordan on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks RonJK for the post. The flame is blue so I think we are good there but the flame is pretty active even with the cover on & will usually go out. I'll check for soot on the thermal coupler & see if that resolves some of the flame activity.

Thanks!
Cjordan

Return to Travel Trailers