Skip to content

Change font size

Power Issue

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Power Issue

Unread postby NightOwl on Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi!

Having an issue I can't figure out with my trailer. 2006 Keystone Hornet travel trailer. This issue is only when we are on 120V service, either at home or at a park with power. When we plug in we can go for days with full power. However after a few days the lights suddenly dim way down. Turn them off and on again and they slowly come on, never to full brightness (not even close). However the fridge, microwave, TV, etc. all run just fine. Since they run on 120 and I'm assuming the lights require a conversion to DC, I figure it must be a converter issue. What has me stumped is that we can park it at home for a few weeks and take it out again and have no problems. It only seems to happen sometimes. Anyone ever experience this, or anyone with in depth knowledge of trailer electrical systems have any ideas?

Thanks much in advance.
NightOwl

Re: Power Issue

Unread postby RonJK on Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am

I vote it is a converter issue as it happens at home as well as in parks with plug in.
If you are running on 12 not plugged in do you have the issue?
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Power Issue

Unread postby NightOwl on Mon May 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks RonJk you were right. I bought a new main board assembly and changed it out, fixed the problem! For anyone who may be reading this it is fairly easy to change out. The part is not returnable though (at least not here in Canada) so be careful. It was $325 Canadian so not super cheap, but definitely worth it as we just got back from the long weekend and no power issues at all.

Cheers!
NightOwl

Return to Travel Trailers