Skip to content

Change font size

Conundrum

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Conundrum

Unread postby new2trailer on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi everyone...

I'm new into the RV Travel Trailer community and would like some advice.

My wife and my two kids 9&11 live in Toronto Canada and are planning a camping/travel trip this summer across Eastern Canada.

To do this we are buying our first Travel trailer…So what’s the problem you’re asking…

Background….Family has loved multiple years of tent camping…Wife not overly sold on the trailer buying idea but has gone along with a trial purchase with the caveat that we would sell this either at the end of the trip of soon thereafter (1-2 years)…Me is hoping that she will love it, and we will get to hang onto the trailer for many more years. (5-6 years)

The two trailers I’m looking at are a 2010 K-Z Spree 318 BHS selling for $15K, and a 2013 Kodiak Express By Dutchman 299BHSL at $19000.

The K-Z has the slightly older externior look with the flat front nose, two tip outs (one large one in the center tipping one way for the dinet and coach and a second tipping the opposite for the bunkhouse), manual awning and overall immaculatly maintained a cared for inside and out.
Great inside but but overall older looking trailer on the outside

The Kodiak is a 2013 has the new modern look with the airodinic front end with rockgard on the bottum, also two tips outs but they both go in the same direction, 2 front foors (one accessessing the washroom),power awning and a large outdoor kitchen.

When I run the numbers for short term ownership, both would sell with in a year a the same purchase price as today

If I run the numbers at selling both trailers in 5-6 years from today the Kodiak would be lose a bit more vs the KZ by approximatly $1700

$5600 over 5 years for cost of ownerhship for the KZ vs $7300 over 5 years for cost of ownerhsip for the Kodiak

What trailer would you recommend I buy?
Attachments
2kodiak.jpg
Kodiak
2kodiak.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 696 times
1kz.jpg
KZ
1kz.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 696 times
new2trailer

Re: Conundrum

Unread postby Little Kopit on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:38 pm

Betcha 2 months of paycheques that when your wife hits menopause, she will have to have a sleeping site with washroom.

I live down this way. Have you got a plan re. what you want to do and how long you will be on the road?

:mrgreen:

ps. I have a truck camper
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Conundrum

Unread postby RonJK on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:33 am

New to trailer
To really enjoy your new trailer you have to buy the one that you like and that will give you what you want. You are buying a lifestyle not just a trailer.
Hope you both enjoy whichever trailer you buy
Remember a RV is not an investment, but it is a lifestyle.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Travel Trailers