Skip to content

Change font size

Crossroads RV Chemical Odor

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Crossroads RV Chemical Odor

Unread postby CampinDude on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Some Crossroads RV owners are experiencing persistent chemical odors inside their units. New owners might believe it's just the "New Trailer Smell" which is to be expected. However, after several seasons of use, some are still experiencing issues such as dry foods left in units for more than a day or two, becoming inedible. Everything tastes like the trailer! Clothing & bedclothes left in the unit acquire the same smell & machine washing does not get it all out.

The odor resembles some kind of solvent or chemical smell, Maybe from adhesives or other composite materials. It is the same old smell that's been in the unit since brand new. It is possible there is something in common with all these cases & is therefore possible something related to the manufacturing process.

No amount of venting, odor absorbing, deodorizing, cleaning & masking it with something else, ever eliminates this smell.

If u feel you have the same issues with your RV then please join our Facebook group "Crossroads RV Chemical Odor". We would like your input on: What you have tried to resolve this problem, to pinpoint the cause, and as we go forward, What we can do to remedy it. #trailersmell #trailerodor #RVodor

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1263948250301471/
CampinDude

Re: Crossroads RV Chemical Odor

Unread postby 2 R Campin on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

We also have a very strong chemical smell in our new trailer. Also a Crossroads. We only used it a few times and has been at the dealer for them to solve the problem. I will not stay in the trailer with this smell. Clings to everything. We dropped by our dealership and opened the trailer to see if all the efforts from dealer helped. It was worse. We carried a few items, pillow ,sweater, towel to our truck. Placed in back of truck. Started towards home and placed my hand near my face and couldn't believe the smell was now on my hands. Washed my hands with warm water 2 times and I could still smell it. This is so wrong!!! Unacceptable smell in this trailer. Not a typical new trailer smell!! Need help!!!
2 R Campin

Unread postby RonJK on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 am

Has anyone contacted CrossRoads directly about this issue?
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby 2 R Campin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes we contacted them directly. We were told all they could suggest was ventilate. Any further questions or problems we should contact our dealer. Only dealers can speak to their technical dept. The dealership indicated that they contacted them last fall when we brought the trailer back. They were told it's the fomeldahyde and they should turn up furnace and bake it out then ventilate. We did that before we brought it back to dealer to try and solve it ourselves. No luck. The dealer has done the same with no luck as well. They even let off a bomb ( aresol fogger to eliminate odours), didnt work either. I think just added more chemicals to trailer. We have been in several trailers of friends that have a normal new trailer smell. As I mentioned this is much stronger chemical smell than a new trailer smell. The owner of the dealeship has acknowledged that the smell is unacceptable. However they say it's not a warranty issue. They have offered us a refund however we have to buy something else from them. They no longer carry Crossroads Trailers and we got a great price because they were clearing out all their Crossroads. I love our trailer, we looked for years before buying this one. Trailers that they offer don't have some of the things that our trailer does. We will be sacrificing things such as size of bed, storage, size of fridge, outdoor kitchen, electric jacks, size of holding tanks etc.... they will want more money for a new trailer with less!!!
2 R Campin

Return to Travel Trailers