Skip to content

Change font size

New to this! Water heater question

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

New to this! Water heater question

Unread postby amandalynn on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:35 pm

We just purchased a 1996 Sportsmen travel trailer. Model #2301

We have been running our water heater solely off of propane but when I looked at the specs, it says it can be run off of electric or propane. We would much rather run it off the electric setting if we can. Only problem is, we don't know how to switch it. I don't see a switch in the water heater which is where it should be according to most people. Anyone that could shed some light on this it would be so appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!! :D
Attachments
20150424_163148.jpg
1429914781773.jpg
amandalynn

Re: New to this! Water heater question

Unread postby RonJK on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm

We have a water heater in our motor home that runs on LP or 110.
The 110 was an add on with the electric element going into the drain hole and the power cord connecting to that element.
There is a switch in the bathroom that looks like a standard household light switch that turn on the 110V element on the water tank.

We use both LP (as it has a faster recovery time) as well as the electric which is great for maintaining temperature but recovery time is slower.

I can not see from you picture the drain on the tank to see if the element is there.

Private message me and I will give you an email to send the picture to.

Hope you enjoy the forum
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby trailerparker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 pm

There would be a switch on the wall , one for propane and one for electric. If you bought the trailer used mabey someone burnt out the electric heating element and changed to a single switch , so unsuspecting future owners would not know what happened.

FYI , propane heats up the water faster so your probably saving money in the long run.
trailerparker

Unread postby trailerparker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:40 pm

There would be a switch on the wall , one for propane and one for electric. If you bought the trailer used mabey someone burnt out the electric heating element and changed to a single switch , so unsuspecting future owners would not know what happened.

FYI , propane heats up the water faster so your probably saving money in the long run.
trailerparker

Return to Travel Trailers