Skip to content

Change font size

1st time trailer owner. A few general questions

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

1st time trailer owner. A few general questions

Unread postby kyoung123 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:06 pm

HI,

We have just purchased our first camp trailer and I have a few general questions. I asked our salesman but he wasn't much help. So first off, the reason we bought our camper. We are building a home and living in the trailer until it is completed. Then of course, we'll use the trailer to travel and camp. My first question is, what is a good cleaner that I can use as just an everyday cleaner for our toilet? I'm starting to notice a bit of a yellow ring. I just want to make sure to use something that will not damage the toilet, or black tank. Second question, We've lived in the trailer for a few weeks now and when we first started out, I would turn on the water heater and after about 10-15 min, the water would be really hot. Now, I turn it on for a good 10-15 minutes and the water is only luke warm. Anyone know why? Third question. After we dump our black tank, do I need to be putting some type of cleaner or deodorizer in it while we use it again for the next few weeks before we dump again? Again, something that is safe to be in the tank while we use it and safe for it to be in there for at least 3 weeks before we dump again. Also, if you have any other tips or suggestions on general maintenance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
kyoung123

Re: 1st time trailer owner. A few general questions

Unread postby RonJK on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

First let me welcome you to the forum and the RV Lifestyle.

There are cleaners made especially for RV toilets that won't damage them or the tanks.
Thetford makes a full line of cleaners and chemicals for cleaning, inside, outside and your tanks.

Yes, you should use a de-oderizer in your tank so they don't smell and it helps break down solid waste. Even if you are living in the trailer full time while you build your house always keep the holding tank valves closed until the tanks fill and then dump.

I always dump the black water first and then use the grey to flush the hose of the black water.

The water in the tank may be at a colder temperature and that is why the recovery time is longer. The temperature of the water going into the tank will have some effect on the length of time the tank runs.

Please feel free to come to our website (just click on my signature) and there is all kinds of tips and tricks.

Here is a link to Thetford for info on cleaners and chemicals.....THETFORD
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Travel Trailers