Skip to content

Change font size

Suggestions

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Suggestions

Unread postby Long Shot on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but have had an old Class A Fleetwood (which I am trying to sell) for about 5 years. I am wanting to move to a travel trailer as I now have a truck capable of pulling one. I have come very close to buying a new Salem Cruise Lite, that is until I started reading reviews about Forest River and in many peoples opinion, the junk they produce, and that has scared me right away from that manufacturer. I am now also considering a good used one instead of new. The problem is I have no idea what is good, bad, or indifferent as far as brands go. One site I checked out lists Dutchmen as the number one pick. I am thinking that the good people of this forum can steer me away from the junk or problem cases. I don't need advice on what to get (as I am flexible, it will be just me, or me and my girlfriend 99% of the time using it) more so what manufacturers make or made the best TT's. It seems Forest River is plagued with bad axles and tires, wiring, fit and finish, non-functional A/C and water heaters, panel warpage, screws and body bolts being loose or popping out and WATER LEAKS and to top all of that off their warranty and customer service are absolutely terrible (according to pissedconsumer.com, several of the postee's there are service managers at dealerships that sell this brand). The Fleetwood has had water leaks since the day I bought it and I have done everything I possibly can to stop it but it still drips in a heavy rain. Failing tearing out the ceiling panels to see where it is coming from I don't know what else to do about it. What I will say is I do not want another water leaking unit - I can fix most any other problem myself be it structural, mechanical or electrical.

So if any of you can give me some guidance on this it would be appreciated.
Long Shot

Return to Travel Trailers