Skip to content

Change font size

Where to store things

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Where to store things

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:47 am

Me and the DW are in a disagreement (what else is new). We have been storing the folding chairs under the bed and the DD's bike in the pac n play. I want to put the chairs in the pac n play, the bike just secured in the TT (DD is only 5 so the bike is small) and I want to put the stuff we don't use to often under the bed. IE holiday decorations, maybe the dutch oven, stuff like that. I guess the only way to win this battle is to do it while she's at work.
What's the most common storage practice being used?
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Where to store things

Unread postby csham on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 am

We try to store things that may be dirty in non-living areas. The chairs, for example, that have some dirt on the legs, get stored in a storage compartment along with a rubbermaid box that contains sewer hose stuff and the black tank flush hose. The pac n play area is most often used for toys and things that the kids can crawl under the bunk to get easily.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby Terry on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 am

We put the bikes in the back of the truck, The pots and pans in the big drawer with the laminate bottom, and sides. The bag chairs under the sofa, and the big folding chairs under the bed with the dining fly, folding clothes dryer, and tacky lights. The sheets and blankets go in the cabinet over the bed. The dishes, cups, and drink containers, go in the cabinet over the sofa. Food in the cabinets over the table, and kitchen. The little folding tables and that kind of stuff go in the outside compartment that goes under the seat. And the hoses, and stuff are in the front outside compartment.
Terry and Shay
NC
Lazy campers
Terry
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Just TWO things in general and I'll shut up. DW stores stuff where SHE wants to store it and I eat well. Second item, I TRY to steer her to store the stuff we use least in the hardest places to get to. Did I mention that I eat VERY well when we're traveling? :D
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Carolina Cruiser on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Skip, you are a smart man. I am in charge of putting everything we store wherever my DW tells me to put it. If we need to discuss where to put it, I give my 02 and then put it where she tells me. I eat well, and also enjoy other ammenities that go along with keeping her happy. We usually agree where to put most things. My only real advice has been try to keep the most weight to the rear due to tongue weight.
Carolina Cruiser

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:03 pm

skipnchar wrote:Just TWO things in general and I'll shut up. DW stores stuff where SHE wants to store it and I eat well. Second item, I TRY to steer her to store the stuff we use least in the hardest places to get to. Did I mention that I eat VERY well when we're traveling? :D

This is the kind of wisdom only available from a man who has lived a long well fed life, married to the same woman. If it goes in the back of the truck I decide where to put it with input from the Misses of course.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby mikhen on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Skip, you are a wise man. My problem is, I tend to be a wise ass. She hasn't seen my reorganization and mods to the "basement" compartments yet. I think she'll be pleased with my 2 piece levelers and the flag pole/awning tool thingy storage tube.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 pm

skipnchar wrote:Just TWO things in general and I'll shut up. DW stores stuff where SHE wants to store it and I eat well. Second item, I TRY to steer her to store the stuff we use least in the hardest places to get to. Did I mention that I eat VERY well when we're traveling? :D

Enough said.... 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Unread postby JQSpree on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 pm

pac n play? Is that your big pass thru storage or one of those side door thingees by the bunks that some have?

With our Spree, we don't have the big pass thru, but 3 smaller shallow storage compartments in the bottom of the slides and one on back of trailer.If anything is more than about 12-14 inches, it don't fit! Bummer in terms of putting bbq, a generator or whatever under there. I have bought 3 or 4 plastic containers that hold my sewer stuff, water stuff, and misc other in easy to reach fashion. I have all kinds of wood blocks for tongue, stablizers, wheels. Hard to get organized but hope it will come with experience. Have a cover on truck now so it will hold some of the things like a generator, fire wood.

And Skip, I too salute your applaud to leadership. Make her THINK she is in charge!!!
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I've started to collect a bunch of plastic bins to store stuff in - with our one month outing this summer we will probably be bringing more stuff then we normally otherwise would bring camping, so I figure having nicely organized methods to store things will be nice.

The garage in the new Fiver will be nice and will provide a ton of storage that we've not been used to having before which is good, since now we won't have the benefit of a tonneau cover keeping the bed of the truck open for storage. I plan to keep the generator in the bed of the pickup and roll the tonneau over/around it to keep it dry and protected, but of course now that we'll be using the long-ignored fifth wheel in the bed, alot of the bed will now be exposed to the elements.

I've been surprised at the huge variety of storage we found in the fiver compared to what we've grown used to in the TT's, however you gain some and loose some - the under-bed storage area on our new one is only about 6" deep. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:10 pm

I have to agree. Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy.
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Zinger on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:53 pm

1st put things everywhere possible
2nd try to find them when you need them

I like the fold up bag chairs comfortable and fit in small places.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Travel Trailers