Skip to content

Change font size

28bhss cougar or a 284bhs eagle

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

28bhss cougar or a 284bhs eagle

Unread postby whatsup on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:53 pm

We are looking to purchase one of these trailers which is the better brand.We would like to be able to camp year round.We have to children one with special needs and he will probably camp with us forever.so we would like this to be our last trailer we buy .Any opinions?
whatsup

Re: 28bhss cougar or a 284bhs eagle

Unread postby Rob_Fla on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 am

Both the Cougar and Eagle are good RVs with many fans of both products.
I am partial to the Eagle having owned 2 Jayco products (Jayco Eagle & Jayco Pinnacle) and being very happy with both and the factory / dealer support when needed.
In making a choice like this it comes down to which one has the best floorplan and features that fit your needs.
Also dealer / manufacturer support is important.
Any RV you buy, make sure you are comfortable with the dealer's product knowledge and support if needed.
Rob_Fla

Unread postby whatsup on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the response.Both trailers have the exact same floor plan.The cougar comes from a dealer ship where we have bought 2 other of our units and they have been great.We have heard that The dealership the Eagle is at is great to deal with aswell though.
We where at a rv show this past weekend and we had the jayco dealer tell us to hit the back wall of the Eagle to see how solid it was and then he told us to go do the same to the cougar so we did.The Eagle did not have any flex in it but the Cougar we barley had to touch to get it to start flexing.So now we are unsure of what to do.Does anyone think that flexing in the outer wall could be a problem down the road? or we just being to picky?
whatsup

Unread postby Techman501 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:02 am

Ask which unit has a compleat bounded wall and what frame,some glue fiberglass onto the wall studs and the better units are a one piece bonded wall,thus the flex.Is it wood or aluminum,whats the insulation values,axle ratings ect But you need to know each units complete build type. Dont take a salesmens show and tell to heart. I repair RV,s and they are all different in one way or another build wise. Ask many ? before you buy and do your homework.
Techman501

Unread postby frank on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 am

I've seen lots of those Jayco on the road so they a pretty good product :D
frank

Unread postby Limey on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am

Back when I had a Travel Trailer I looked at many, many brands and models prior to buyng. I went with a Jayco Jayflight back then, as it seemed to me that it had the best build quality.
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Travel Trailers