Skip to content

Change font size

Awning Problems!!

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Awning Problems!!

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 pm

We took out TT out for a weekend camping trip. It was a great trip and we had a great time.
My problem is... when I pulled the awning out I noticed at the first 6 inches or so out from where the awning connects to the TT the awning is dry rotting and cracking all the way across the awning. This is the area that is in direct sunlight and weather when the awning is rolled up. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what can be done to keep it from getting worse? I appreciate the help.

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
User avatar
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:50 pm

On my old TT I used a piece of plastic rain gutter cut to length and capped and it covered the awning great! I have to try and do this for our new rig too, just haven't gotten around to it.
Good luck, let us know what you come up with. 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
Image
User avatar
The Wood Tinker
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Lake Elsinore Calif

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Once it's started there's not much you can to do really remedy it..you'll hear suggestions on how to minimize it, but if the damage is done, it's done.

I've recently ordered a replacement awning fabric from a company in the USA - I have to pickup the parcel at the post office tommorow and will report back then whether or not I recommend them. The price was definately right though at only $200 for a 21' awning fabric panel.
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:03 am

PrivatePilot wrote:Once it's started there's not much you can to do really remedy it..you'll hear suggestions on how to minimize it, but if the damage is done, it's done.

I've recently ordered a replacement awning fabric from a company in the USA - I have to pickup the parcel at the post office tommorow and will report back then whether or not I recommend them. The price was definately right though at only $200 for a 21' awning fabric panel.



Please let me know. I guess I'll be going that route if it gets any worse. Also, Is fabric better? Does it shed the water like the vinyl (I guess its vinyl).

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
User avatar
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Correcting the problem is going to be pretty hard. You MIGHT be able to laminate a new piece of vinyl over the rotted one but it'll only delay the replacement time. I can tell you that attaching a 16" long piece of vinyl over top of the awning to actually COVER the NEW one when it's replaced will go a long ways to prevent it's happening to the new one though. The trick is to get it just long enough to cover the rolled up awning without being long enough to flap around when towing.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

Image
User avatar
skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 am
Location: Topeka Kansas

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:07 pm

ponyboy1995 wrote:Is fabric better? Does it shed the water like the vinyl (I guess its vinyl).

Joe


I used the term "Fabric", but yeah, they're all vinyl.

I've not yet picked up the box at the post office but the company I ordered from is here:

http://www.interwestsports.com/
User avatar
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby JQSpree on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Skip, how do you fasten, secure this vinyl while traveling? Does it roll up with the awning? That or the hard cover sounds like a good idea. That sun can kill any vinyl in short time as I learned with our back yard spa covers and gazebo cover.

Still trying to decide on value of trailer cover to offset that sun damage and keep trailer looking new.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
User avatar
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: Citrus Heights, Northern CALIF

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:17 pm

The one that my friend has is secured to a couple of small cleats mounted on the wall a foot below the rolled up awning. If you're not familiar with the cleat it's a small T shaped device around which you wrap a piece of rope. Just like the one below only a LOT smaller and it's chromed.
Attachments
180px-Tied_cleat.jpg
180px-Tied_cleat.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

Image
User avatar
skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 am
Location: Topeka Kansas

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Thu May 01, 2008 5:51 pm

skipnchar wrote: attaching a 16" long piece of vinyl over top of the awning to actually COVER the NEW one when it's replaced will go a long ways to prevent it's happening to the new one though. The trick is to get it just long enough to cover the rolled up awning without being long enough to flap around when towing.



One of my first mod's was to make a cover for my awning & tires that would otherwise cook in the California sun.For the awning cover i used a strip of breathable outdoor carpet the length of the awning by 9 " wide.Turned upsidedown it easily sticks to velcro[male].I used contact cement to glue 2 or 3 inch velcro strips every 18"along the edge of roof W/ a short bungiie on each end & 3 tennis balls hanging over the edge [a clip,12" of bungie,& the tennis ball]to keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwords.

Once fabricated it takes less than 5 minutes to install & 2 minutes too remove.No i don't travel w/it installed.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Tue May 06, 2008 11:31 pm

That sounds like a good fix to keep it from getting worse. Also, sounds pretty cost effective. Do you have any pics so I can see it. It will be easier to do if I can see it.

Thanks,
JOE

MCBOWERS wrote:
skipnchar wrote: attaching a 16" long piece of vinyl over top of the awning to actually COVER the NEW one when it's replaced will go a long ways to prevent it's happening to the new one though. The trick is to get it just long enough to cover the rolled up awning without being long enough to flap around when towing.



One of my first mod's was to make a cover for my awning & tires that would otherwise cook in the California sun.For the awning cover i used a strip of breathable outdoor carpet the length of the awning by 9 " wide.Turned upsidedown it easily sticks to velcro[male].I used contact cement to glue 2 or 3 inch velcro strips every 18"along the edge of roof W/ a short bungiie on each end & 3 tennis balls hanging over the edge [a clip,12" of bungie,& the tennis ball]to keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwords.

Once fabricated it takes less than 5 minutes to install & 2 minutes too remove.No i don't travel w/it installed.
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
User avatar
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue May 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Joe,the carpet strip could be wider than 9" but w/ our winds this works good ,also i'm only worried about the direct overhead sun of midday.Hopefully these pic will help.I now use 3 tennis balls instead of the center red bungie.
Attachments
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 pm

I weight of the balls holds it on?
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
Image
User avatar
The Wood Tinker
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Lake Elsinore Calif

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed May 14, 2008 9:07 pm

.Earlier i wrote
For the awning cover i used a strip of breathable outdoor carpet the length of the awning by 9 " wide.Turned upsidedown it easily sticks to velcro[male].I used contact cement to glue 2 or 3 inch velcro strips every 18"along the edge of roof W/ a short bungiie on each end & 3 tennis balls hanging over the edge [a clip,12" of bungie,& the tennis ball]to keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwords.

Once fabricated it takes less than 5 minutes to install & 2 minutes too remove.No i don't travel w/it installed.



jerry,
The velcro strips & a bungie on each end to strech it out is how it is attached .The 3 tennis balls keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwards toward the TT roof.The balls also serve as a reminder to remove it before hooking up.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: VALENCIA CA

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed May 14, 2008 11:48 pm

That is a great idea. I am gonna do that to prevent further damage to mine.
Thanks so much for the help and the pics!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
User avatar
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby ponyboy1995 on Wed May 14, 2008 11:50 pm

I will keep you updated with pics when I do mine!

Joe
2004 Fleetwood Prowler 25Z Limited Edition (Bunkhouse)
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie, 2wd, Ext.Cab, 5.9L Magnum 360
User avatar
ponyboy1995
Established Member
Established Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: Awning Problems!!

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Thu May 15, 2008 1:49 am

MCBOWERS wrote:.Earlier i wrote
For the awning cover i used a strip of breathable outdoor carpet the length of the awning by 9 " wide.Turned upsidedown it easily sticks to velcro[male].I used contact cement to glue 2 or 3 inch velcro strips every 18"along the edge of roof W/ a short bungiie on each end & 3 tennis balls hanging over the edge [a clip,12" of bungie,& the tennis ball]to keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwords.

Once fabricated it takes less than 5 minutes to install & 2 minutes too remove.No i don't travel w/it installed.



jerry,
The velcro strips & a bungie on each end to strech it out is how it is attached .The 3 tennis balls keep the wind from blowing the carpet backwards toward the TT roof.The balls also serve as a reminder to remove it before hooking up.


Doh! Thanks.... :oops:
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
Image
User avatar
The Wood Tinker
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Lake Elsinore Calif


Return to Travel Trailers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Up Login   Register Up
cron