Skip to content

Change font size

What equipment does a trailer need to be classified as an RV

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

What equipment does a trailer need to be classified as an RV

Unread postby hemi43 on Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Here in Ontario, a vehicle towing a trailer weighing more than 10000 lbs combined, needs an annual safety inspection on both the truck and trailer. This is an expense I can't afford, nor do I have the time to get both inspected.
This rule does not apply to travel trailers, however.
I need to haul 2 ATVs to where we go riding, and for reasons I just mentioned, I don't want to purchase an enclosed utility trailer, and "Toy Haulers" are pretty pricy.
I'm thinking of buying an older 24ft travel trailer, and modifying the rear 3/4 of it to hold my ATVs. Basically, I want to build my own Toy Hauler, and retain the original VIN of the travel trailer so that I don't have to get a yearly inspection.
I'm very handy (and not a Red Neck) and can build a nice looking unit.
What do I have to retain from the original RV, to keep it's RV designation? Beds? toilet? sink? stove?
I appreciate any helpfull information.
Thanks
hemi43

Re: What equipment does a trailer need to be classified as an RV

Unread postby pwall on Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

So not trying to get into a debate, but I'm curious.....
I was under the understanding that:
- any vehicle that has a GCWR over 4500kg needs an annual safety inspection (hence why my 3500 Silverado goes in every September to give the dealership/government over $150 dollars)
- any trailer connected to any truck with an annual inspection (yellow sticker that gets placed on the bottom left corner) needs to also have an annual safety inspection, regardless of weight ? yes, this would also mean the smallest utility trailer. crazy eh.
- the exception to that is if the trailer is an RV, then your G class license is good up 10,400lbs on the 'trailer axles'. this doesn't necessary count the weight of the trailer tongue or fifth wheel hitch.

Thus, if your RV can carry your ATV in the back, and the axle weight is under 10,400lbs, then you should be good.

Stopping into your local motor vehicle department would also be helpful as this stuff can very quickly get confusing. That's what I did a few years back when I got the 3500.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hemi43 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I just stopped in at the MTO scales today to get the scoop.
A trailer designed to carry something is just that, a trailer. An RV (house trailer) is designed to house people, therefore it is called an RV an no yearly inpection or yellow sticker is needed.
A toy hauler, is seen as a trailer even though it has living quarters in it, so it needs a yearly inspection.
Any vehicle displaying a yellow sticker, needs to have a yellow sticker on whatever it is towing ( like you said ) even if it's a 500lb utility trailer. Crazy laws, and just a money grab IMHO.
hemi43

Unread postby pwall on Fri May 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for the update!
I would not have thought that a 'toy hauler' would not be considered an RV.
A friend of mine is giving me his small utility trailer, I just hope the MTO won't charge much for the inspection sticker. Stupid eh.
And too add to the list, if I put a slide-in truck camper on my 3500HD, it now becomes an RV and no longer requires an inspection, as long as that slide-in camper is on. Take it off, you need the inspection. Crazy......
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Atchafalaya_man on Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 pm

If you are creative, you can build a 'vehicle door', very low, and on the driver's side of the camper, behind the camper's axles.

It could even be a removable panel, and you could use ATV ramps to get your bikes up to the door. Frame it carefully to conceal the door, and use the same materials as the trailer is made from.

To the outside observer, it's a RV. The rear bumper and back are untouched and look nothing like a toy hauler, and appear for all purposes as a RV.

Only make the opening large enough for your ATVs to pass, and use a 12v winch, mounted inside, to get them in back them out.

On the other hand, one of your friends in the states could have a toy hauler or RV in their name, and you just borrow it and park it at your place, papers, plates, and all.
Atchafalaya_man

Return to Travel Trailers