Skip to content

Change font size

Leaky Window

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Leaky Window

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Well I was out in the trailer today messing around, and I notice a stain trailing down from the side window in the front bedroom. It appears that during the recent flooding rains in the area, that this window developed a leak, and the water was seeping in and trickling down the inside wall. It isn't much, but I will have to look at it and see about a repair of course. My question is, does anyone know how difficult it is to remove and or replace the seals around these types of windows? I am going to call my dealer on Monday, but since my trailer is out of warranty, I am sure he will only offer suggestions. I just thought someone here might know what kind of hassle I have to look forward to. Here is a pic of the leaky window in question. It is a sliding window with the radius edges. Anyone familiar with these?

2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Leaky Window

Unread postby csham on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:18 am

I had a leak in a similar styled window in an Aerolite that I once owned. Ended up just putting a bead of caulking around it to keep the water from getting into the top of the frame.

Chris, Ruth, and our 3 girls - Samantha, Tara, and Erica
1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST30BH
csham

Unread postby Zinger on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 am

I would try to find it with a garden hose first then a good quality caulk make sure not to seal the vents on bottom of window. you could probably pull the window and reinstall with caulk.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 am

csham wrote:I had a leak in a similar styled window in an Aerolite that I once owned. Ended up just putting a bead of caulking around it to keep the water from getting into the top of the frame.

I am going to do that today as a "stop gap" measure until I have more time to look into a complete re-seal. They are calling for more heavy rains this week in the area starting tomorrow evening.
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Check that the drainage holes in the slide track aren't clogged on the exterior - often this happens, and when it does it will cause the water to pool in the track, and when it reaches a certain level it takes the easiest way down - if your trailer is leaning even slightly to the inside side of the window, it will simply pool up and spill over on the inside.

Of course, it could be a leak around the seam and I'm all wrong, but just sayin' it might be somewhere to start. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jp rver on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:Check that the drainage holes in the slide track aren't clogged on the exterior - often this happens, and when it does it will cause the water to pool in the track, and when it reaches a certain level it takes the easiest way down - if your trailer is leaning even slightly to the inside side of the window, it will simply pool up and spill over on the inside.

Of course, it could be a leak around the seam and I'm all wrong, but just sayin' it might be somewhere to start. :)

Thanks I will check that out!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby bamasurveyor on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 am

Oh thanx! I have the same window,NOW something new to worry about! :o
John 47
Ted 47
2006 Chevy Silverado LS Ext 4.8L 4:10 rear
2007 Surveyor SV291
bamasurveyor

Unread postby jp rver on Sun May 04, 2008 8:31 pm

The weather was nice today, and I went out and did a little cleaning on the trailer, and got a better look at my "leaky window" situation. Well, the good news is I won't have to be removing the window. The bad news is I found a 6 inch section of rubber roof loose in the front corner seam above that window. It seems the rain was leaking in, and following a path to come out and run down from that window. About a 6 by 8 inch piece of the plywood underneath the loose roof material has lost its adhesion and has gotten wavy. I have a dry rag wadded up under the roof material to let air in to dry out the remaining dampness, and will attempt to reseal the roof at the front seam either tomorrow or Tuesday. They aren't calling for rain until Wednesday, so that should give it a chance to completely dry out. Needless to say, I am irritated that a 3 year old trailer has this type of problem already, but I am sure the seams should have been resealed last year and I just didn't do it. So while I am up there, I will check all of the other seams.

I realize the proper thing to do now would be to pull the rubber completely loose and assess the damage to the decking, but the area is so small that I am going to just repair the leak and keep a close eye on it. If I need to make a more extensive repair in the future, I will.

Question, what do you guys recommend to make this repair? I have read great things about Eternabond tape, but it appears the factory used some sort of gummy looking material to seal it. Anyone?
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Sun May 04, 2008 9:03 pm

It was more than likely sealed using DICOR from the factory. The EPDM membrane would have been glued down to the roofing substrate also and I'm not sure WHAT they use for that. It seems like that must have been what failed in your case. It MAY have been missed at the factory and thus never attached properly or it MAY have had some sort of petroleum distillates get on the EPDM membrane which then soaked through and loosened the glue. Might CONSIDER this when waxing the sides to make sure no spray wax or similar product gets on the roof. I haven't used Eterno Bond but I have also heard lots of good things about it so I would consider it for repairs. Hopefully one of our good DIYers on the forum can give more specific information about the repair.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes it appears that perhaps this small section by the corner was not glued down properly. Like I said, it is about a 6 by 8 inch triangle shaped area in the corner. The gummy stuff the sealed the membrane under the seam is what had come loose. That combined with the lack of glue allowed the water to seep in under the membrane. I will apply some adhesive, and then re seal the seam. I too believe the factory stuff is Dicor. It looks like it would work again, but may not last more than a couple years when left out in the weather. I am also considering a cover of some sort so if in fact I ever get another leak, it won't be able to seep in all winter.

It is irritating, but I am glad I caught it fairly quick.
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 pm

jp rver wrote: . About a 6 by 8 inch piece of the plywood underneath the loose roof material has lost its adhesion and has gotten wavy. I have a dry rag wadded up under the roof material to let air in to dry out the remaining dampness, and will attempt to reseal the roof at the front seam either tomorrow or Tuesday.

They aren't calling for rain until Wednesday, so that should give it a chance to completely dry out.

I realize the proper thing to do now would be to pull the rubber completely loose and assess the damage to the decking, but the area is so small that I am going to just repair the leak and keep a close eye on it.

If I need to make a more extensive repair in the future, I will.

Question, what do you guys recommend to make this repair? I have read great things about Eternabond tape, but it appears the factory used some sort of gummy looking material to seal it. Anyone?

I am not familure w/ your TT but i am familure w/ filon sided, pressure bonded panels.If this is what u have ,the very worst thing u can do is to seal it up,It may be a small area but it sounds like the roof & wall may have absorbed as much as 1 gallon or more,gravity takes over & effected panels can turn to mush.Then hi temps or freezing weather will begin to cause "delamination"to the filon surface.

First step determine where the water went ,2nd dry it out w/fans & what they use to remove water from carpet[??]Do not seal it up permanently untill it is POSITIVELY dry,If water isn't all removed u will regret it.

I also strongly recomend that when storing your TT,DON'T LEVEL YOUR TT.Either jackit way UP or way DOWN so the water will run off & not puddle on the roof.We don't get much rain in our area but i know of a locally owned 2006 TT that they replaced all 4 walls & rebuilt the roof [under warrentee]
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby jp rver on Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm

I checked today, and all is dry. The walls are dry and solid, and the section under the rubber roof has dried as well. I picked up a tube of Dicor this afternoon and will apply when the weather allows. It started raining when I got back from the dealer. :(

Don't worry, I have the leaky area covered! :lol:
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Glad to hear it. Did you ask what type of adhesive to use to fasten down the membrane? I'd be sure to get the right stuff for that purpose so it doesn't make the membrane leak.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Tue May 06, 2008 10:08 pm

skipnchar wrote:Glad to hear it. Did you ask what type of adhesive to use to fasten down the membrane? I'd be sure to get the right stuff for that purpose so it doesn't make the membrane leak.

Yep, I bought directly from my dealer. They said it is for sealing joints and seams on my type of roof.

If the weather forcast holds true, I won't be able to reseal the seam until Friday. Calling for possible 2 or more inches of rain the next two days. Something we really don't need right now!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby The Wood Tinker on Tue May 06, 2008 11:35 pm

jp rver wrote:
skipnchar wrote:Glad to hear it. Did you ask what type of adhesive to use to fasten down the membrane? I'd be sure to get the right stuff for that purpose so it doesn't make the membrane leak.

Yep, I bought directly from my dealer. They said it is for sealing joints and seams on my type of roof.

If the weather forcast holds true, I won't be able to reseal the seam until Friday. Calling for possible 2 or more inches of rain the next two days. Something we really don't need right now!

Sounds like you have a handle on the problem, that's a good thing. I hope it works for you! 8-)
Jerry & Sharon †
Bindi, Cody and Terra the furry kids
Lake Elsinore, Calif
'08 F250 SD
'08 299BHS Tango
The Wood Tinker

Return to Travel Trailers