Skip to content

Change font size

Inside Tire Clearance

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Inside Tire Clearance

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:12 pm

I posted this on the "other" forum but want to give this one a shot.

I now have ST175/80D13 tires on my TT. I want to replace them with either ST185/80R13 or ST205/75R14. My concern is the clearance on the inside between the tire and the spring mounts. I now have a little over 1" and with the ST205/75R14 I would have 1/2". Would this be too close.
My TT GAWR per wheel is 1000lbs. The tire ratings are:
ST175/80D13 - 1360
ST185/80R13 - 1480
ST205/75R14 - 1760

I am thinking the ST185/80R13 would give enough added cushion, and the ST205/75R14 may be overkill and would it be worth the risk with the tighter clearance. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Retired Phone Man

Re: Inside Tire Clearance

Unread postby skipnchar on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Unless you're having problems with your current tire it actually sounds to me as though you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. That being said there should be no side to side MOVEMENT so having a slightly smaller clearance itself probably wont hurt anything. If you're carrying close to your maximum weight you might be better to move up to a load range D in the same tire SIZE if you can find one. I THINK Goodyear makes a 13" D range tire.
EDIT: Just checked their site and I was incorrect. No d range in 13 inch of any size. Since the larger Cs take the same rim I'd be surprised if they wouldn't work.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:19 pm

My current tires have some bad wear due to an axle problem, but thats a long story and still working that issue. When that gets resolved I will post the entire story. But since I need to replace the tires anyway I thought I would give myself a little upgrade.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby milzat on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:01 am

Jim,

I was told by a tire dealer(Commercial Tire in Baker, LA.) that a minimum of 1" clearance was needed.
If the minimum clearance can not be obtained with your present wheels, a "negative off-set" wheel can be purchased. The "negative off-set" will move the tire away from the spring hangers.

An alternative to "off-set wheels" would be "wheel adapters, which can be purchased in different thicknesses.

Mike
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks Mike,
I kinda thought 1/2" might be too close. I will probably go with the ST185/80R13 which gives me a little more capacity and not take the chance on the clearance.

Thanks,
Jim
Geaux Tigers
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby wintek on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Retired Phone Man wrote:ST175/80D13 - 1360
I am thinking the ST185/80R13 would give enough added cushion, and the ST205/75R14 may be overkill and would it be worth the risk with the tighter clearance. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Be sure to check the pressure ratings on your rims. I was going to do the same thing as you but found out the pressure ratings are different and would have had to upgrade rims, even though they are the same size.

Bruce...
wintek
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 am

Both the 175 and 185 sizes max out at 50psi so wheels are OK. I will probably go with Goodyear since it looks like everyone has moved to China except Maxxis but no dealers in Louisiana.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

The only ST rated tire that I KNOW of that is manufactured in the USA is Titan. They handle a lot of Chinese made tires for garden tractors and the like but CLAIM that all of their ST tires are US made but I don't know by who. My Goodyear Marathons were made in New Zealand but they're hard to find. When I purchased the Rockwood I told them I would not ACCEPT the trailer with Chinese tires on it and it arrived with the Kiwi made Marathons. I have no idea who much control Goodyear has over the Chinese made Marathons though. I'm sure Mattel THOUGHT they were in control of TOY production also. I suspect I'll probably be switching over to LT tires on my trailer if I can't find something I have confidence in. I think they've got at least a couple more trips left in them before I have to address that problem.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 pm

I called Titan customer service and they said their ST tires are made in CHINA. Maxxis are made in Taiwan and thats where their company is headquartered. They have a good reputation but nearest dealer is in Texas. At least Goodyear is allover so encase of a problem a replacement won't be hard to find.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby skipnchar on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Titan. I had been TOLD that the ST tires were American made. Guess I'll scratch another one off of my list.

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 am

I did see a new TT at my storage lot and they had Carlisle ST radials MADE IN USA in 2007. The plant location was Carlisle, Il.
Maybe since everyone else went to China they may be trying to be the only one MADE In USA. Would probably sell a lot of tires if they took their name off the tire. I'm not sure if I trust the Titan Customer Service Rep 100% and since I can't find any Titan dealers around here I can't really verify it.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby milzat on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Jim,

Have you tried Cabela's?
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:29 am

Milzat,
Thanks for the Cabela's lead. They do have the Titan tires in the ST185/80R13 and they are MADE IN USA. Have to order them online and have shipped free to the Gonzales store. Cabela's says 100% satisfaction so when I go pick them up I can verify if they are made in USA.
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby milzat on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:28 am

Jim,
No problem.
I live just down the road from the new Cabela's, Gonzales location. Have you been there yet? Very nice store!!! :)

Mike
Me and the Wife
milzat

Unread postby Retired Phone Man on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:37 am

Mike,
Haven't been to Baton rouge area since Mardi Gras. Been riding in Spanish Town Parade for 18 yrs.
DD,SIL and 2 grandkids live in Manchac Highlands off of Alligator Bayou. I'll get to see them when I go for my new tires. I'll like to see what kind of RV stuff they stock. Had a falling out with Dixie RV and Camping World in Hammond and need a new source for unneeded toys.

Jim
Retired Phone Man

Unread postby milzat on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:06 am

Retired Phone Man wrote:Mike,
Had a falling out with Dixie RV and Camping World in Hammond.

Jim

You too? :roll:

Good luck on the tires.
milzat

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:16 am

Hummm...i'm heading up to Nebraska Furniture Mart next week to pick up a new desk for my office. Since it's right across the street from Cabellas I'll have to stop by and see if they have Titans there. That WOULD simplify my next tire purchase a lot. Still MAY decide that LTs are the way to go but it nice to have options. With gas prices getting out of site mileage is becoming a bigger factor and LTs CAN'T be good for economy with their wide tread. Thanks for the tips folks :)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Travel Trailers