Skip to content

Change font size

Radio

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Radio

Unread postby mikhen on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Here's one I don't think I've seen covered before. The mounted radios in TT's and other RV's. Does the reception suck in all of them or just the 2 that I owned and everyone I talked to said the same thing.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Re: Radio

Unread postby Rough2000 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:19 pm

The POS in my Prowler gets the clearest static you ever heard. I think it's the nature of the beasts...real cheap radios trying to pick up stations that are some distance away. :lol:
2006 Dodge Mega Cab w/ Cummins
"Real Trucks don't have Spark Plugs"
2009 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
What you said, what you thought you said and what I thought you said are THREE different things.
Rough2000
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 pm

My sunline and my zinger both have good reception the zinger even has outdoor speakers.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Justardnck on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:25 pm

My Concertone gets fair reception but since we installed Sirius Sat radio we haven't turned the FM back on
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.0L, 4:10 gears
2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25LB
No WD hitch or sway control. Primus brake controller
Justardnck
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 pm

I agree about the Concertone. FM Stereo is probably one of the STRONG points of the system. We got the Sirus with the trailer but have never activated it. if we're listening to music it's USUALLY our own CDs. I'll probably go ahead an activate it sometime though because I like the idea of it but mostly for the truck.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Justardnck on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:56 pm

skipnchar wrote:I agree about the Concertone. FM Stereo is probably one of the STRONG points of the system. We got the Sirus with the trailer but have never activated it. if we're listening to music it's USUALLY our own CDs. I'll probably go ahead an activate it sometime though because I like the idea of it but mostly for the truck.

I put a Sportster 5 in the truck and installed an additional car unit in the TT, then I ordered a lifetime membership with Sirius for $399. We listen to it while towing then when we get there we take the unit out of the tow vehicle and plug it into the TT
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD, extended cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.0L, 4:10 gears
2003 Forest River Flagstaff 25LB
No WD hitch or sway control. Primus brake controller
Justardnck
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Sirius customer here as well. Once you go to satellite radio it's tough to go back, it's just that much better.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ParTimCmpr on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 pm

The radio in my Sunline is descent. Only problem is it 'turns on' every time we use any button on the television remote. We have to set it to AUX, turn the volume down, and select the back speakers because there will be an ever-so-slight hiss coming from the speakers. I wish I could deactivate the remote. I may have to add a switch to remove power from the radio all together. HUMMM-Now that is not a bad idea..... :idea:
ParTimCmpr
Fayetteville, Georgia
2006 Sunline T2553
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
ParTimCmpr

Unread postby bamasurveyor on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am

The only thing we don't like about our stereo is that there is a speaker right above the tv. so when we are watching a movie at night, with surround sound on most of the sound still seems to come from one place.
John 47
Ted 47
2006 Chevy Silverado LS Ext 4.8L 4:10 rear
2007 Surveyor SV291
bamasurveyor

Unread postby LA_Bolt_Fan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 am

My radio picks up nothing either, even here in LA where there is a station on EVERY frequency. I also use Sirius, I have a docking station and an antenna installed in the TT. The radio won't even pick up the FM transmitter from the Sirius Stiletto so I had to plug it into the AUX jack. Commercial free radio is the way to go!! And I get reception anywhere I go (Except in tunnels and caves ;) ).
Backpacking one weekend, RV'ing the next!!
2007 Thor Summit 22rb
2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 5.2L / 3.92 Gear
1 Beautiful Wife and 2 Happy Traveling Iguanas
San Diego SUPER Charger Fan
LA_Bolt_Fan

Unread postby jp rver on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:01 pm

mikhen wrote:Here's one I don't think I've seen covered before. The mounted radios in TT's and other RV's. Does the reception suck in all of them or just the 2 that I owned and everyone I talked to said the same thing.

I would say the reception of our Concertone is okay, not the best, but does pick up some stations even in remote camping areas. My biggest complaint is the sound quality is so poor. The 13 year old speakers in my old Dodge sound much better than the dinky little three year old speakers in the trailer.
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby ReedMan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:49 pm

My concertone is a piece of crap also. I use it to listen to football pre-game on AM stations so "fidelity" is really not an issue. I wonder if the newer DVD/CD combo units are any better?

Bones
ReedMan, Wife, 3 Kids
TT - 2002 Flagstaff 25LB (Triple Bunks!)
TV - 2001 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/3.73 Stepside
ReedMan

Unread postby skipnchar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:18 pm

My SOUND system is pretty good, at least as good as most automotive stereo systems. The only complaint I have is the TV tuner on the cable tuner side is a POS. Some channels are unwatchable but I rarely have it hooked up to cable or satellite service so it's not a major thing for us. We almost always get TV from the antennae and THAT tuner seems to be OK. The Concertone is one of the best IDEAS to come along in a long time but one of the poorest engineered products for the purpose. I WISH there was something else out there that would do as MUCH but do it better.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Aughan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:52 am

bamasurveyor wrote:The only thing we don't like about our stereo is that there is a speaker right above the tv. so when we are watching a movie at night, with surround sound on car navigation system most of the sound still seems to come from one place.

Do you still have this stereo system. I want to purchase it for my son and to enhance his knowledge about old gadgets
Aughan

Return to Travel Trailers