Skip to content

Change font size

Water leak

Discuss traditional (ball hitch) travel trailers here.

Water leak

Unread postby Wozlo84 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 am

Hi there I'm new to this forum and new to camping. My family and I just bought our very first camper this spring, a 1992 Dutchman classic 26' pull behind. This past weekend we started to get it all ready for our first camping trip and found a water leak at the rear of the trailer in the bedroom. After pulling off the panelling and the wet insulation, I found that the window was leaking water in a few spots and also water was somehow coming in between the aluminum siding joint above the window. Any ideas as to how it's possible for water to leak on the inside of aluminum siding at the overlap joint?? I have attached a photo.
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
Wozlo84

Re: Water leak

Unread postby RonJK on Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum
Have you tried spraying the area with water when it is dry to see if it is actually leaking at that seam or following from somewhere else?

Does it leak there when it rains or on the road travelling? Road spray may splash up under the seam and get in that way.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Wozlo84 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 am

I haven't tried spraying it yet. It was leaking from there during a rain not during traveling. I'm going to try and put silicone around the window and along the roof edge and then test it out. Everything else is dry next to this area inbetween the studs next to it. I just thought it's pretty strange for it to leak at the joint like that. I was thinking that maybe it's a manufacturing flaw that the didn't secure that joint somehow or something.
Wozlo84

Unread postby roverd02 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 pm

At the age of your RV, that leak looks started recently. You may need to use some sealant as well.
roverd02

Unread postby liquidroofcoatings on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:43 am

The water that is coming into the RV can also cause the growth of mold and mildew. This is unhealthy, and it has the potential to cause health problems. In addition, it will also cause the RV to stink, and that’s not going to be a very pleasant place to spend much of your time.
liquidroofcoatings

Return to Travel Trailers