Skip to content

Change font size

New Member from Nova Scotia

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

New Member from Nova Scotia

Unread postby WilleyB on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi everyone, joined a couple days ago but decided to look around a bit first, before posting. Well I guess we're still new to the RV'ing as we picked up our little rig (an ex rental) in Toronto mid Nov 2005. Since then we've had a couple trips to Ontario and a couple here touring NS. So far we don't do campgrounds, actually have no intentions of doing them in the future either. We actually wanted a class B, Pleasure-Way but had to go a little bigger and now we're glad we did, the "B" would have been too small. For some reason we didn't use it this past year, maybe it was the lousy weather or just lack of interest after a trip which I call "To hell and back" the previous year. However it's set to go for this year and we'll be on the road again. The past year wasn't totally wasted as I did some more modifications to make it a bit more convenient and comfortable. I hope to have a generator (a noisy stink pot) mounted on the back bumper when the snow and cold leave. My wife has Multiple Sclerosis so we are limited in what we can do and where we can go. Well the pooch want's out so have to obey when called. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Willis
WilleyB

Re: New Member from Nova Scotia

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 am

Howdy Willis, How are you all doing?

I hear tell the Tourist Accomodation Act was repealed.!!

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby pwall on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:13 am

Welcome!
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Spenfam on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 am

Glad to hear we're not the only ones in here new to camping.We just joined earlier in the week because we had some questions, and these folks are just great. Very helpful and friendly. Welcome from Eastern Ontario, and hope you enjoy this site as much as we have!
Garry & Sharyn
Spenfam

Unread postby WilleyB on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:38 pm

Thank's folks. I don't have much time for online these days, but I'll be around every once in awhile.

Howdy Willis, How are you all doing?

I hear tell the Tourist Accomodation Act was repealed.!!

Doing fine, no the act is still quite intact, the motion was withdrawn. The motion was just to protect some of the politicians asses not really to do anything for the RV'ers. There'll be an election again this year so maybe this time we'll get a little further. The signs are all down but their section 3 is still the same.
Glad to hear we're not the only ones in here new to camping.

Well according to the posts on most forums I guess I'm not a camper :shock: probably considered a parker :o however when when one resides in an Camper at a camp ground they are camping but if they are residing in an Camper on a parking lot they are just parked :twisted: and in another instance if you are residing in a Camper without hookups you are Boondocking :?: So can it be construed that if you're in a campground without amenities that you are boondock camping and that while living in your Camper while parked at a parking lot without hookups that you are boondock parking. :evil: Very confusing terminology for us newbies eh! But then again if you are in a Camper are you not camping anyway :mrgreen:

Cheers
Willis
WilleyB

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:54 pm

& hows about the COANS crowd? What do you pickup about them?

;)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Welcome Willis - glad to have you aboard :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby WilleyB on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks Martyn
hows about the COANS crowd? What do you pickup about them?

Well it's off season and TIANS is carrying the ball. It was TIANS who caught the politicians dabbling in the summer cottage rental business without a license, that's when the motion to rescind was introduced in the Legislature. Both TIANS and COANS lobbied the opposition against the motion and Robme Mac couldn't get enough support to pass it, so it was withdrawn. The only thing accomplished so far is all the NO OVERNIGHT RV PARKING signs are taken down. With the expected election this year I'll be lobbying for changes. Hopefully then I can rest and enjoy.

Cheers
Willis
WilleyB

Unread postby Limey on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 pm

OK you Canucks.....

I'm just a Brit living in the USA and have not a clue what COANS and TIANS are!

Please enlighten us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, Stan Birch in the thread on Need Canadian Info raised this topic. He's been saying all Nova Scotians are against rvers for many a year. Of course, such ain't so. Nova Scotians can no more be stereotyped or cast in one mold than Colorado residents. Yet it was true the legislation had confusing wording and some took the Tourist Accomodation Act to apply to all public parking. These were members of the Campground Owners Association of Nova Scotia. TIANS stands for Tourist Industry Association of Nova Scotia. I'm less clear on their role.

I know Willis has talked with various groups trying to get the legislation into more clear wording. One party I know unearthed the wording on the proposed legistlation to repeal the Toursit Accomodation Act and I had the impression that it had passed.

Also, Each spring there is this phenonmenon of folks finding these old threads with ugly words and impressions conveyed by Stan Birch and those who believed him and that way of doing things. These have re-appeared. Stan brought it here.

It's like the politics of fear, some like to believe dirt or make a group's position ugly, rather than, simply and clearly saying "Let's boycott the commercial campgrounds in Nova Scotia because we don't like their position"

There are always going to be some who think all who own an rv have a $ rich budgets all the time. & those who forget the #1 rule of driving is pull over when your tired and stop right then. & those who forget that you accomplish more by saying 'we have things you want' than saying 'thou must patronize our establishment.' COANS tried to make it illegal to park a rig anywhere but in a licensed tourist facility. Stunned you say.

As of now, As Willis said above:
Both TIANS and COANS lobbied the opposition against the motion and Robme Mac* couldn't get enough support to pass it, so it was withdrawn.

* Rodney MacDonald, Premier of Nova Scotia. One gathers that Willis has divergent opinion on said Premier.

getting the legislation changed awaits an election.

Getting people to take the event as past tense awaits time.

8-)

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby WilleyB on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:38 pm

Little Kopit wrote:Well, Stan Birch in the thread on Need Canadian Info raised this topic. He's been saying all Nova Scotians are against rvers for many a year. Of course, such ain't so. Nova Scotians can no more be stereotyped or cast in one mold than Colorado residents. Yet it was true the legislation had confusing wording and some took the Tourist Accomodation Act to apply to all public parking. These were members of the Campground Owners Association of Nova Scotia. TIANS stands for Tourist Industry Association of Nova Scotia. I'm less clear on their role.

Hi Lil K Oh! My!, a subject dear to my heart :evil:
The legislation is neither confusing or unclear in the wording, never for a minute think that there were no intentions to enforce the law. It's now 2009 and 3 years plus have passed since the govt. made the statement that "it was not the intentions of said law". So far they have done nothing to rectify the problem that they weren't forced into doing, just to save face. ie: " Removal of the signs and re doing the NS Tourism web site"
If it wasn't for Stan's interest in Nova Scotia, and Andrew Cornwall's work, I wouldn't have known about it. As said most Nova Scotians don't know or care that it exists and couldn't be bothered reading the smaller print on the signs or understand what it was all about. Most have no idea that it is costing them $$ indirectly. I trust both Stan and Andrew will keep up the pressure as that is all the tools I have to work with, the loss of revenue and bad publicity is all politicians understand. For those unaware of what the signs were------>
Click--> Image and Wal-Mart--> Image And a point to remember is that the Web Site for Tourism NS stated that it was illegal to park an RV anywhere but in a camp ground. They called it "indiscriminate camping" and that it was illegal. After the critical question :mrgreen: I had a snotty email from one of the Tourism "upper crust" telling me I'd be happy with the site now (something like that with a link to the new page) so I know they were not too pleased with my efforts.
Most people while looking for a parking spot (near the store entrance) don't even see these signs let alone read them. They were posted at the perimeters, where RV's would park so as not to inconvenience the shoppers.
TIANS is the umbrella group for all the other parasitic groups associated with Tourism NS. Then it grows upscale from there to Federal levels. CFIB "Canadian federation of independent Business" something like that there's just no end to the snake.
I know Willis has talked with various groups trying to get the legislation into more clear wording. One party I know unearthed the wording on the proposed legistlation to repeal the Toursit Accomodation Act and I had the impression that it had passed.

Li'l K It was "Novi Camper" who had the discussions with the groups, I'm afraid my efforts were all political with members of the NS legislature who most likely wish they never heard of me. However there is a way that they can forget me :mrgreen:
Actually, repealing the act would be folly. Just think of the hovels that would pass for tourist accommodation, no laws or regulation would invite disaster for the industry. There are certain articles in the act that need changing or updating to the present times. If some members of TIANS realized that section (3) was a cause for losing them business I wonder how they would react. I'm talking about those little tourist traps, novelty, souvenir shops along the way. It's funny when I see the "Member of T.I.A.N.S." stickers on their windows, here they are paying into and supporting an organization that is costing them business. That's really not funny because in the end it costs every taxpayer in NS including me for the loss of $$
Also, Each spring there is this phenonmenon of folks finding these old threads with ugly words and impressions conveyed by Stan Birch and those who believed him and that way of doing things. These have re-appeared. Stan brought it here. It's like the politics of fear, some like to believe dirt or make a group's position ugly, rather than, simply and clearly saying "Let's boycott the commercial campgrounds in Nova Scotia because we don't like their position"

God bless him, and those who pay attention to his posts. The loss of RV traffic, with the associated loss of $$ is the only weapon we have to get things changed. Three years was plenty time to do something if they were serious about change, it's now obvious they are only stonewalling. Having said that, now that the signs are down, come and enjoy while it's possible. Keep in mind the following.
1: The Tourism Accommodation Act is a properties Act and does not come under the criminal code, the Police are not empowered to enforce provisions in this act. (C.O.A.N.S. found this out when they asked the RCMP to enforce it for them) so ONLY on the complaint of the property owner and only if you refuse to move on" then that's considered a criminal act" And read the section carefully and you'll see only the property owner can contravene that section NOT the RV'er that is how C.O.A.N.S. got Wal-Mart and Atlantic shopping centers to erect the signs
2: It is of Legal opinion that the Province of NS does not have the authority to make such a law, let alone enforce it. (Any one want to volunteer to take it to court? :mrgreen: )
3: The cost of enforcing such a law would be astronomical (remember it's the whole Province) just imagine the backlash when taxes were raised for policing to enforce a section of an Act that would benefit only a few campground owners whose operation is seasonal at best. Seeing that it is a seasonal thing, would the Police have to be part time for cost effectivness?
4: Campgrounds in NS (with the exception of a few) leave a lot to be desired when compared to campgrounds in other States and Provinces. The only way this will change is when they can't force RV's into their inadequate establishments by a law.
To be sure there seems to be a change here too. I notice the waste tank dumping for non customers is getting less now $5 to $32.50 and most are now at $5. There are a number of free ones at truck stops if anyone is interested. I do not support NS campgrounds.

There are always going to be some who think all who own an rv have a $ rich budgets all the time. & those who forget the #1 rule of driving is pull over when your tired and stop right then. & those who forget that you accomplish more by saying 'we have things you want' than saying 'thou must patronize our establishment.' COANS tried to make it illegal to park a rig anywhere but in a licensed tourist facility. Stunned you say.

Stunned is one word but I'd add greedy to it also. Suppose such a law was in force when most of them are closed after Labour Day. This is the time retired folks are on the roads, would they give a hoot? not likely, got to have the stuff away before the cheap labor goes back to school. ( decent paying jobs for teens are not plentiful here in NS, they take what they can get)

As of now, As Willis said above:

* Rodney MacDonald, Premier of Nova Scotia. One gathers that Willis has divergent opinion on said Premier.

getting the legislation changed awaits an election.

Getting people to take the event as past tense awaits time.

Ah! Willis is not the only one with a divergent opinion of Robme, hopefully the next election will remove him and rectify the damage that has been done. There's much more thn the tourism act. PS I didn't give him that name, I got it from the Hfx Herald :mrgreen: BTW he was the one who wrote that infamous letter to Stan Birch on behalf of Premier John Hamm.
There is no guarantee that legislation will change even with a new governing party, it's a hot potato that they don't seem to want to handle so the pressure must be kept on until they do something one way or the other. You can rest assured that C.O.A.N.S. will not let it rest. Even if the law is changed they will without a doubt lobby municipal administrations to pass by-laws to make it illegal in their jurisdictions so in fact the fight will continue even then, but may be easier to fight a small area rather than the whole Province.

Now time for me to put the soap box away and be ever vigilant :mrgreen:

Cheers from Robmeland

Willis
WilleyB

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm watching, guys.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:Image

I'm watching, guys.

LOL - methinks we have a can 'o worms hereabouts!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Limey wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:Image

I'm watching, guys.

LOL - methinks we have a can 'o worms hereabouts!

The can of worms blew open and have since been cleaned up. ;)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 pm

PrivatePilot wrote:The can of worms blew open and have since been cleaned up. ;)

Martyn (aka Limey)

2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The Welcome Center