Skip to content

Change font size

Hello From Wisconsin

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

Hello From Wisconsin

Unread postby KurtJan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

We are new here, having just joined up a few days ago. My wife Jan and I enjoy camping and did a lot of it when our kids were pre high school age. In the past we most did popup camping, although we had a 5th wheel for a year until a hail storm of softball sized hail mangled the 5th.

We just purchased our first motorhome, a 2000 Damon Intruder 349. It was taken out this past weekend on a shake down cruise to a local state park.

Both Jan and I are Ham radio ops and will be incorporating that hobby into our RVing and travels with the motorhome. We can be found with our favorite furry child "Lady", a rescue dog that is very shy around new people, but is a gentle sweetheart.

See you around the campfire,
Kurt n Jan
KurtJan

Re: Hello From Wisconsin

Unread postby catmom on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Welcome, neighbors! :) Good to have you aboard! So you went camping in this pre-winter cold already, eh? Good for you! We're not quite that brave yet - of course, it doesn't help that they turn the water off in the SPs near us by the end of October. Looking forward to some pictures as your camping days increase. Any winter trips planned?
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby KurtJan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey howdy Neighbor :D Waves to the South.

Yeah we braved it this past weekend and had a blast. The temps were in the 30s and the furnace was definitely given a good trial run. We are actually looking at going again this coming weekend with the temps climbing into the 40s.

Not sure if we will take any winter runs to the warmer weather. I have recently retired at the tender age of 52, but the DW still works. I'm starting on a second career in photography, so there will be a lot of photos of our trips and experiences. If the temps get into the 30s we will try to dry camp and get the RV out of storage. We take water with us as there isn't water at the state park near us.

~Kurt
KurtJan

Unread postby Limey on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Kurt n Jan - a hearty welcome to the forum! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby graywolf67 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 pm

Howdy from Texas, cold what's that maybe for a few days, welcome aboard :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Our camper is in storage and waiting our next trip in Feb. to go south. :D
cwit

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:29 am

Welcome aboard, we needs pics and more pics, gets us through the long winter months.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby KurtJan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. We haven't put our RV into storage just yet. The temps are predicted to be in the 40s this coming weekend and we might just slip out for a couple of nights before storage.

I'll see what I can do to provide pics and such over the winter. I do like to experiment with photography :ugeek:

We are anticipating staying within Wisconsin most of 2009 and exploring the many state parks and campgrounds and sights to shake out all the bugs and not repeat the tank emptying scene in "RV" :shock:

~Kurt
KurtJan

Unread postby catmom on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 pm

While I'm a fan of seeing new places and really hitting the road, I will say that Wisconsin is a great place to stick to, if that's your plan. SPs there are great (we much prefer them to our own, and are willing to pay the extra to camp there!) We're not brave enough to camp in this weather, though; our trailer is winterized and we're getting ready to pull up the blanket (as it were) and put 'er to bed for a few months. Glad you're still enjoying yours!
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby ButteBumBob on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Welcome from New Mexico !!!!
2004 Crossroads Cruiser 29rk
2004 GMC Sierra, crewcab,SB,4x4,Duramax/Allison
1973 Seeker travel trailer (for the short trips)

ButteBumBob
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby KurtJan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Well, for now the plan is to stick to Wisconsin, but like everything, it's subject to change. I do love to travel to other places to explore. My favorite spot so far is the Black Hills of South Dakota.

My favorite SP is Kohler-Andre which is a mere 1.5 miles from us on Lake Michigan. I don't know if I'm brave or just plain crazy to go out in the colder temps, but it's fun to get away :D

~Kurt
KurtJan

Unread postby mountainman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Welcome to the "slow lane" forum folks. We visit Wisconsin every other summer as My wife's brother lives in Lake Tomahawk. We tow our trailer up there and stay a couple of weeks.

I have been a ham in a past life and very much enjoyed it for several years. I was assigned to the USAF Mars system during the 1950's and helped establish AF2AIR at Mitchell AFB in Hempstead, NY. It is a wonderful activity.
Hope you enjoy the forum and that we will see your post often.
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Welcome to the forum!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby catmom on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 pm

You are sure lucky (KurtJan) to live near Kohler-Andrae! That's one of our faves too, but 2 1/2 hours away for us. Great park - and yes, it could be a little crazy to be there in the winter. :) (We were up in the area several years ago in February and saw one couple camping there in a popup!! BRRRRR!!!) :shock:
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby KurtJan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 am

It can be a tad chilly in February with the winds blowing off Lake Michigan. I used to tent camp in winter with the boy scouts, long long long...long time ago. There are some hardy souls out there that brave the weather but no longer for me or Jan. Especially Jan :D

If you are into bicycling, there is a great trail that starts about 3 miles from Kohler-Andre that is of railroad grade, and some great places to get lunch along the way.

~Kurt of the team of KurtJan :)
KurtJan

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 am

Welcome from Florida!
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Return to The Welcome Center