Skip to content

Change font size

An about to be new camper in Alberta

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

An about to be new camper in Alberta

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 pm

We have a deposit down on a Rockwood 8319SS - expect to pick it up on Labour Day weekend if all goes well.

Been researching travel trailers and learning more than I care to know about towing (weights and such).

We are getting into an RV:
1st so that my wife can travel with her three dogs.
2nd because our family is spread far and wide, and we'd like our private place to stay when visiting them,
and 3rd we live in a part of Alberta with a campground around every corner - seems everyone up here camps all the time so it's about time we got back into that "lifestyle".

Our RV history:

I camped as a kid in a canvas top camper my dad built from wood, spare car parts and a canvas top he bought.
My wife's family had a cottage.

Our first RV was a Sears Blue and Orange canvas top trailer. Very very simple, lasted for years. A tent on a box.

We upgraded to a 1971 Fargo van conversion. This was a big step up. furnace, stove, and a port-a-potty in the corner. Such luxury. That van lasted until it rusted out. We had "flintstone" brakes - there was a hole in front of the drivers seat that showed the ground below. It's been over a decade since we last camped in it.

We did our turn at "real camping" in a tent. That was fun, ... for a while. Still have the tent and all the gear, ... never seem to get the right urge to go and crawl into anymore.

This new trailer we ordered is just for the two of us and my wife's three little white dogs. The kids have grown and left home. We went for max luxury we could afford. Slide out bedroom, big bathroom (two sinks for goodness sake), and a slide out dinnette and sofa makes for a big living area. Seats for ten in the living area (4 at dinnette, 2 on sofa, 2 in swivel chairs and 2 on stools at the counter) the eleventh guest would have to resort to a folding chair. Shucks.

So now the wait begins. ... but in the mean time we need to create a parking space for this 33 foot trailer on our property. We have the room (double lot, on a corner, in small rural hamlet). We just don't have the room that is 'prepped" properly.

WIll post some pics of our first camping trip in September.
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Re: An about to be new camper in Alberta

Unread postby Limey on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:37 pm

A hearty welcome to the forum! Interesting history of your camping - a bit like mine back home in England during the 50s and 60s. I bet you can't wait to get your new 'baby'!

Keep us posted :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby skipnchar on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 pm

congratulations on the new trailer (you're gonna love it) and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to those pictures. We're leaving with our Rockwood, early in the morning and eventually will end up on your neck of the woods (well at least on the border at Glacier/Waterton area.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:27 pm

[quote="Fortkentdad"]
We have a deposit down on a Rockwood 8319SS - expect to pick it up on Labour Day weekend if all goes well.

Been researching travel trailers and learning more than I care to know about towing (weights and such). quote]

Welcome to the group,good folks w/good information.What TV will u use to tow the beast??
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby cwit on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Welcome to the forum . I don't know how you can wait for a new camper,I would be like a kid in a candystore. :D
cwit

Unread postby Zinger on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Very exciting, welcome to the forum.As you probably know there are many very experienced folks here waiting to jump in and help with any questions you might have remember any question you have has an answer so ask away.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new trailer!
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby thetwoofus on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Welcome! We haven't been here very long but have enjoyed reading all the post and picking up bits and pieces here and there about the trial and errs of camping in an RV. Sure beats the old tenting days and the crowded days in a tent trailer. We even had a little A-Frame. Seems like we were always in our shadow's way, very small.
We too have a new 2009 8319SS. We really like it and like you ordered it and had to wait. It was worth it and we got just what we wanted by ordering it.
We'll be taking ours to Mission Texas in Late December to spend Jan and Feb in Mission and then onto AZ. We'll spend 4 months in the Rockwood and we'll enjoy everyday of it. We had an Areolite last year and it was cramped, so this year we are really looking forward to our trip.
One thing about waiting for your order to be delivered, you can spend a bunch of time on here seeing what we all are doing and then it'll be your turn to tell us about your Rockwood travels. :)
Hope your 8319SS fits your needs, such as not having all that girlie stuff on the sink in the morning when you're trying to shave. :lol: Yep we really like the double sink.
Good luck and fun travels when you hit the road.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Unread postby Fortkentdad on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:39 pm

thetwoofus wrote:....
Hope your 8319SS fits your needs, such as not having all that girlie stuff on the sink in the morning when you're trying to shave. :lol: Yep we really like the double sink.
Good luck and fun travels when you hit the road.

I look forward to no complaints about leaving whiskers in the sink after I shave. :roll:
FKD

'09 Rockwood 8319SS
'08 Dodge Laramie QC 4X4
3.92 gears with a Hemi
Fortkentdad

Unread postby thetwoofus on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I look forward to no complaints about leaving whiskers in the sink after I shave. :roll:

:lol: ya sure!! Here's a heads up on the double sink. On the left sink, hot water is the right handle and cold is on the left. I didn't look at the plumbing but they probably used just one line for both sinks. The righ sink is alright, just the left sink is backwards. You better take the left sink, using the wrong handles is better then listening to "why can't you change this?" :?
Also...I added a longer hose behind the water access door to stick into the anti freeze bottle when it comes time to winterize. The one they had was only a foot long and would have been a challange to get it into the gallon jug.
Good luck and have fun when it get's here.
2011 Cedar Creek 36B2 ordered with outside kitchen removed and a nice big wardrobe in it's place.
Pulled with a 2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and 8' box with a Hensley Trailer Saver.
thetwoofus

Return to The Welcome Center