Skip to content

Change font size

New Travel Trailerer( new word) from AZ

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

New Travel Trailerer( new word) from AZ

Unread postby mojogti on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 am

Hey all. Just purchased a 2005 Forest River Grand Surveyor GST 272 off Craigslist. I'm pulling it with a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi. Everything works, so far. Interior is in really good shape. Exterior is good, missing the propane tank hood though. Has some rusty axles ( it was originally from New Jersey), no pitting or cracks that I've seen. Gonna repack the bearings, throw some POR-15 on the axles and I'll be ready to roll. Well, when I figure out all the WDH stuff out. That is why I've joined this forum, I do and will need help from time to time and this place looks like it has some great people in it. As I become more "salty" in the RV'n stuff I can throw my two cents in and help too.

First question, my trucks rear end only drops 3 inches, do I really need to use the weight distribution bars on my hitch? I know I need a sway bar.

Second question, what is the reason for the angle adjustment on the ball hitch? Is that so it can adjust when you apply the weight distribution bars?

Third question, I heard of replacing the 12v battery with golf cart batteries (2), anyone every done that? I was told it would run everything that couldn't be run on propane.

I sincerely thank you for your answers and comments.
mojogti

Return to The Welcome Center