Skip to content

Change font size

Insurance Help

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

Insurance Help

Unread postby suedpug on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi Everyone;

I am new to this forum, so hello to everyone. I was hoping someone could provide me with some advice.

My hubby and I are converting a cube van into an RV. Our old RV is no good anymore but the fridge and all of the other parts still work great so we will pull them out and put them into the cube van.

My question is about insurance. I live in Ontario and the Ministry of Transport has no problem changing the ownership from commercial cube van to RV. The problem is trying to find and insurance company who will insure it. I guess this is difficult because it is not an off the line pre-made RV so they don't want to touch it. They will touch it for $4000.00 per year. Crazy huh?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SueD
suedpug

Re: Insurance Help

Unread postby Little Kopit on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 am

When I first looked for rv insurance in 2004 I learned that it is largely a provincial matter.

I think it still is. So, keep calling. Talk with other rv owners, not just the repair shops, maybe your truck repair shops, etc.

Pick up either Good Sam or ??Coach for roadside assistance. Not CAA, except for BC branch. When I got Good Sam roadside insurance for me, I lived in Newfoundland. CAA said they would send me some literature. Good Sam asked where I was. I had to spell out `that island off the east coast of Canada, almost sitting out into the Atlantic, west coast`. Within 30 seconds party on the line was giving me names of places on the west coast of NL. Believe me they had good online data

Post what happens to you please.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Insurance Help

Unread postby rvlifeclub on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:25 pm

You're in a tough spot. Non-professional van conversions are the most difficult type of RV to insure. Will it have a toilet and running water? Usually this is the turning point that allows insurance companies to consider it an RV.

You might be stuck just insuring it as a regular auto. The other thing you can try is to get it appraised after it's completed and then see if an insurance company will sure it for that appraised value.

I'm much more familiar with how insurance works in the States, but hopefully this helps even though you're in Canada.

Here's a bit more info on our website about how to insure an RV [ http://rvlifeclub.com/how-to-insure-an-rv ].

Good luck!

-RVlife
rvlifeclub

Return to The Welcome Center