Skip to content

Change font size

New full timers

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

New full timers

Unread postby Captain Ahab on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:56 pm

I would like to introduce both myself and my wife to all the folks here on the RV forum.
My name is Errol and I am a 62 year old retired man, who after being sick and tired of being sick and tired made the commitment to get into better physical condition a few years ago and after seeing how great that has made me feel I decided to become a personal trainer so that I can help others, especially those over 40, also enjoy the benefits of being in better shape. I am a writer and was an avid motorcyclist for many years and used to write a weekly motorcycling column for The Province newspaper. I now write a regular column on fitness and healthy lifestyles for a great publication titled Beyond 50 magazine.
My wife, Judi, also now retired is 51 and sufferers from both Lupus as well as Fibromyalgia and she too decided to see if getting into better physical condition could help her with her disease and after finding out that it did she also became a personal trainer and enjoys helping others, (especially those with limited mobility) get into better shape.
We live in Kelowna, BC, and took the plunge which brought us a 2008, 38 foot Montana Big Sky 5th wheel and a 2009 Ford F350 diesel to pull it and have been full timing for about 2 years now. The only complaint we have is that we wished we had started full timing sooner. We have made a few trips to the US and Canada and enjoyed almost every second of it and being somewhat new to RVing - we have had our ups and downs while learning the ins and outs of this great lifestyle and while being led down the garden path a time or two by a couple of somewhat unethical dealers by and large except for only one incident last year we truly love RVing.
Captain Ahab

Re: New full timers

Unread postby pwall on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Welcome! Great to have you on board!
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby frank on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 am

Well welcome to the form lots of good people here and information you will enjoy it here :D
frank

Unread postby Limey on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Welcome to the forum, Capt. Ahab - do you call your 5er the 'White Whale'? :mrgreen:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Captain Ahab on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Actually I thought about calling it that but I figured it might be bad luck to name it after Moby Dick or call it the great white whale - even though at times it has felt like manoeuvring a whale. I took the :D name Captain Ahab after losing my leg a few years ago and it has kind of stuck.
Captain Ahab

Unread postby Limey on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Bummer about the leg - sorry to hear that.

I severerd my left achilles last year and 3 months later blew my right knee. Not as bad as your losing a leg, but bad enough for me! :cry:
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Captain Ahab on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Almost any injury that incapacitates you or stops you from being as mobile as you were used to being is tough. I have learned quite a bit about artificial legs and after a lot of work I can now do just about anything I could do prior to the amputation, except run of course.
The good thing is that the F350 we have for towing our fiver is it is an automatic, otherwise I would be the navigator and we would probably be forever lost.
Captain Ahab

Return to The Welcome Center