Skip to content

Change font size

New from SC USA

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

New from SC USA

Unread postby SCCamper on Sun May 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Hello, my wife and I just purchased a 2006 29ft Dutchman Kodiak QBH. We don't even have it yet, we are going to pick it up tomorrow evening. It will sleep 10, so it should be big enough for us and our 3 kids and maybe some family. We will be pulling it with a 2003 Suburban 4x4 LT. I personally grew up having a class C in the family, then I have been tent camping on a regular basis through out the foothills of SC and in the mountains of Western NC. Now that the kids are getting of age to camp, we figured we would step up to the next level.

I look forward to reading the post of veterian RVer's and learning the ropes. Right now I'm looking for some ideas of what all I will need on our first camping trip. Like wheel chokes, extra power cords, any kind of hoses, tools, jack stands, extra blocks, etc... Also, I never have filled or emptied any RV tanks before. Hopefully I will not experience any surprises. :D
2006 29' Dutchmen Kodiak TT
2003 Chevy Suburban LT 4X4 w/ Husky hitch/weight dist./stablizer
SCCamper

Re: New from SC USA

Unread postby pwall on Mon May 17, 2010 9:16 am

Welcome...glad to have you on-board!

If you have never seen the movie 'RV' with Robin Williams, rent it.....it will teach you everything you need to know. :mrgreen: well, ok, not really.
I'm sure many will chime in with various tidbits of info.

For items to carry, allows carry any extra power extension cord (RV extension cord) because you know that one day you'll be 3ft short from the power outlet. Water house and couplings. Wheel chocks too.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby bert64 on Mon May 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Welcome,

Check and fill your propane tanks, Grill, and tools to use it, Lots and Lots of snacks to keep the kids quite, Axe for the fire, planks for the jacks.

Most importantly Patienceto get set-up the first time.

Good luck and have fun... :)

2001 Winnebago Brave 32'
1999 Jeep TJ- Toad
YL285 Zodiac w/4 h.p Mercury
Me, Da-Wife, Da-Kids and a dog.
bert64

Unread postby Little Kopit on Mon May 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Consider doing your first sleep over in the back yard? Next not so far away that you can't run home in the tow buggy for the forgotten item.

Until I got the camper it's set of dog chains and dog food bowls, those were my most often forgotten items.

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Limey on Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby catmom on Sat May 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Welcome! I'd also recommend some power cord adapters, especially 30-to-15-amp and 30-to-50-amp ones. It will depend of course on what kind of plug your trailer has, but most I think are still equipped with 30-amp plugs. Some campgrounds (not many, but you do find them occasionally) don't have 30 amp receptacles, hence the need for the adapter. Remember when you are using a 15- or 20- amp receptacle, you shouldn't run your air conditioner! Microwave (if you have one) may be iffy then too. And remember that just plugging in to a 50-amp receptacle doesn't give your trailer 50-amp capacity; you're limited to what the trailer is equipped with originally. :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby cwit on Sun May 30, 2010 6:20 am

Good morning and welcome to the forum. :D
cwit

Return to The Welcome Center