Skip to content

Change font size

New to RVing

Our little pitstop where new members can pull over and introduce themselves to everyone! Tell us about your family, your rig, or your experiences - it's all good!

New to RVing

Unread postby NatashaB on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Hello All,
I have been trolling rv forums for awhile but never joined any. I thought I would give it a go! So my name is Natasha and I am from Ontario, Canada. My husband Kevin and I have 3 children (12,8 and 6) and in May 2009 we bought a 2006 Starcraft 2407 tent trailer. We really like it but we need bigger, I need more storage.
We drive a 2007 Dodge Nitro 3.7L with factory tow package.
I am considering purchasing a Sun Valley X-Treme Lite XK23SD, I am nervous as this company is now gone and seeking advice.
I have this link to take you to pictures of the trailer I am thinking of.
http://pishposh71.wordpress.com/2009/10 ... mers-home/

Thoughts? Ideas? We also drag 5 bikes and a dog with us!
Natasha
NatashaB

Re: New to RVing

Unread postby cwit on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. Nice camper you will enjoy it. :D
cwit

Unread postby pwall on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Welcome!

That looks like a nice trailer. Looking at the internet, it appears that your vehicle has a 5000lb towing capacity, not sure though how much the trailer weights. Make sure the GVWR of the trailer is within your towing limits. Given that the trailer is a lite-weight hybrid, I would think that it is less than the 5000lbs. You certainly will want a weight-distribution hitch thats for sure!

Post if you have more questions! :)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:30 pm

The Dodge Nitro 3.7L with tow package has a 3500 tow capacity if you don't use a WD hitch, but 5000 with a WD hitch. I also did a search on the trailer mentioned and it is indeed ultra light - I found that it probably weighs only 2750! With a good WD hitch and anti-sway it would be fine - I would suggest the Reese Dual Cam setup. I used one for years and it was great. Have fun, and welcome to the forum. :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby NatashaB on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi All,
So I sold the tent trailer this weekend and I am now worried that I have made a big mistake. I returned to look at our hybrid (mentioned in above post)and on further inspection discovered a sticker saying GVWR of 6000lbs. We drive a Dodge Nitro with the factory tow with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs.
A problem.
The current owners pulled this hybrid behind a big old car using weight distributing hitch.
My question to the seasoned trailer owner. If I NEVER drive with water in my holding tank, NEVER drive with grey waste or sewage in the tank do you think I could get away with this? The trips we make are 1 to 1.5 hours away from home.
We have 2 weeks booked for Arrowhead which is a 3.5 hour drive away but we can borrow my father in laws ford 150 for that trip.
I know that I will need to upgrade to a bigger tow in the future but could I get away with it for this summer?

Also weight distribution hitches and anti sway bars? are these the same thing? can I use the ones that the current owner has (are they universal?)

Thanks!
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi.

The GVWR is the total weight that the trailer can weight....completely loaded. I would guess the trailer will come in around 3000-3500lbs empty. So, keep the tanks empty and travel lite, I think you'll be fine.
You may want to consider upgrading your tow vechicle later on, but I think you'll be surprised how well the Dodge will do.

You should be able to re-use the WD equipment, as it was setup for that trailer. There are different strengths in the bars, but if they are already used for this trailer, no problem.
WD and swap are not the same. There are some hitch equipment that combine these into one unit.....that name escapes me right now but I'm sure someone here will remember.
Hitches from Reese will have them seperate in most causes. WD hitch will redistribute the weight of the tongue of the trailer across all four wheels on the two vechicle. Anti-sway will reduce the effects of sway while driving down the highway.
Both very important, but are two different things.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ontariofarmer on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Welcome Natasha

I would be checking what the trailer weighs dry or empty. Sometimes trailers can carry a lot of extras. A couple weeks ago we were looking at a trailer that could hold 3500 lbs.

Have you ever been to Arrowhead ? We've been a few times and REALLY like it.

Where in Ont are you?

2003 Ford F250 Super Duty King Ranch
4X4
Quad cab
Triton 6.8l V10

2003 25' Jayco Qwest
Ontariofarmer
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby LoudRam on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

NatashaB wrote:
Also weight distribution hitches and anti sway bars? are these the same thing? can I use the ones that the current owner has (are they universal?)

Thanks!

As Pwall said some systems combine them into one. Reese dual cam is one, and it's a good one. I have an Equalizer hitch. Again this hitch is anti-sway and weight distribution together. This is my second one and i love it. I won't use anything else. They do come in different sizes. I'd call a local dealer to find out what sizes they have. My first one was a 600/6000 lb one(limit of 600 lbs tongue weight/ 6000 lbs trailer weight). With my new trailer I needed to step up to a 1000/10,000 lb hitch.

As for using the one you have already is it an anti-sway/wd hitch or is it just a wd hitch? It should work but I would recommend a either an Equalizer hitch or a Reese dual cam. You can't get a better set up without going well over the $1000 price range. The Equalizer will run around $500-$600. The Reese might run slightly more. Call some local RV dealers to see what they have. Here is the Equalizer web site so you can get an idea what the hitch looks like and how it works.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy) (IC2/E-5 Military Police)
2008 Forest River Salem LE 29FLSS
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/360 (not stock)

LoudRam

Unread postby NatashaB on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Ontariofarmer wrote:Welcome Natasha

I would be checking what the trailer weighs dry or empty. Sometimes trailers can carry a lot of extras. A couple weeks ago we were looking at a trailer that could hold 3500 lbs.

Have you ever been to Arrowhead ? We've been a few times and REALLY like it.

Where in Ont are you?

We are in Courtice Ontario (basically Oshawa). We have not been to Arrowhead before but I hear it is great. We did Killbear last year and I actually cried when we had to go home I loved it so much! If I stumble across a cancellation for Killbear I will do a week there too (hope in hell of that happening though)

I know that the trailers unloaded weight is 4100 lbs with another 1500 for stuff and 400 lbs for water tanks and waste ect.

Measured the travel length the other day and its bum to ball 28ft.

Here is a link to my pictureshttp://pishposh71.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/prehaps-this-will-be-next-summers-home/
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Looks like a nice TT.
I see a lot of great times ahead..... ;)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby LoudRam on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 pm

That's a nice looking trailer. And based on the weights your giving us the 600/6000 lb Equalizer would be a good match but I would be careful with towing it with your Nitro. Towing at your limit isn't always the best thing. Watch how you load it and you should be OK. I tow at my limit and my truck handles it OK. But I am very aware of it and I drive accordingly. I want to upgrade my truck but right now it's not in the cards.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy) (IC2/E-5 Military Police)
2008 Forest River Salem LE 29FLSS
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/360 (not stock)

LoudRam

Unread postby NatashaB on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 pm

LoudRam wrote:That's a nice looking trailer. And based on the weights your giving us the 600/6000 lb Equalizer would be a good match but I would be careful with towing it with your Nitro. Towing at your limit isn't always the best thing. Watch how you load it and you should be OK. I tow at my limit and my truck handles it OK. But I am very aware of it and I drive accordingly. I want to upgrade my truck but right now it's not in the cards.

I know what you mean about the tow vehicle! Today I was looking on kijiji at trucks, more specifically the Avalanche. I found a fully loaded 2004 for $14,995 Canadian. I don't think I could convince my hubby to trade in our 2007 Nitro with 40,000km for a 2004 Avalance with 70,000 km though!! I may make most decisions but I do believe he would vito that one!

I'm not sure what the bars will be as of yet. The trailer owners are currently in Florida so I wont know more details until May 5th when they return to Ontario. Whatever he has he paid $1,000 for them (selling to me for $350) They got these bars from the same place they purchased the hybrid. They towed this trailer behind a Cadillac car, which they upgraded into specifically to tow this. I really cant grasp why they wouldn't go for a truck!!! She told me on the phone tonight that the car was rated at 5,000lbs.
I'm just going to use my father in laws Ford 150 whenever possible!
I will only put the stuff from the tent trailer in it, which is all lighter stuff.
Is it hard to install these bars? My father in law is handy and I really cant afford to pay anyone (I'm broke from buying the trailer!)
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 pm

It's not hard to install the bars. I have a decent pdf file I can email you that will describe how to set the bars up.
PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ontariofarmer on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 am

When you are at Arrowhead, you have to take the trail to the falls. Depending on the water level, you can sit right in it. The kids had a blast there.

We've always wanted to go to Killbear, but it's not really our style. We like the less populated campgrounds with private sites.

Hope you have a GREAT time this summer

2003 Ford F250 Super Duty King Ranch
4X4
Quad cab
Triton 6.8l V10

2003 25' Jayco Qwest
Ontariofarmer
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby NatashaB on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Well people like me should not have free access to the internet!
I have committed to buy the trailer mentioned in above posts (just verbally though)but tonight I stumbled across another one in my area that seems ok too. Thought I would ask for opinions on this one. I know that this trailer is an orphan just like the Sun valley one but other than that what are your thoughts on this unit/model vs the other one. It is a little older but also $2000 less (before I bat my eyelids and attempt to get a discount :)
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm

What's the other trailer ? (maybe I missed a post)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby NatashaB on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 am

NatashaB wrote:Well people like me should not have free access to the internet!
I have committed to buy the trailer mentioned in above posts (just verbally though)but tonight I stumbled across another one in my area that seems ok too. Thought I would ask for opinions on this one. I know that this trailer is an orphan just like the Sun valley one but other than that what are your thoughts on this unit/model vs the other one. It is a little older but also $2000 less (before I bat my eyelids and attempt to get a discount :)

Im not blond, but still dumb :)- It was late, I was tired (my excuses and I'm sticking to them) Here is the link :)

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-2004-Terry-Dakota-19-hybrid-travel-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ198247191
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:16 am

Nice unit, appears to be in excellent condition.
You should have no issues towing that. Although you will still need a Weight Distrubtion hitch.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Little Kopit on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm

When buying privately, is there a way, or people for hire, in order to have a trailer or other rv rig inspected for wear and tear and 'most likely to wear out first' areas?

8-)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby NatashaB on Tue May 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Well I am at it again.
Most indecisive woman to ever live.
We are supposed to be buying the 2006 Sun valley hybrid this weekend for $13,000 + another $275 for the weight dist hitch with sway bars. As talked about before I am very worried about the weight of this unit. It is 4100lbs dry with a GVWR of 6,000lbs. We drive a Dodge Nitro 3.7L with the factory tow package with a tow rating of 5,000lbs. I have argued to myself that I will pack light and still be okay to pull this short distances (1.5 hours) with the Nitro. Bigger trips I will trade vehicles with my father in law and take his ford 150.

The Sun valley trailer:http://pishposh71.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/hybrid-travel-trailer-information/

Am I crazy to think this way? am I setting myself up for disaster? I am getting more and more freaked out about this each day and have this bad feeling in my gut.

For that reason I am going to look at a 2005 214 Skamper Kodiak Hybrid. It has a GVWR of 4820lbs and is priced at $12,000 including the weight dist hitch with sway bars.
This is not the ad for it but the pictures are the same trailer.
http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-214-Skamper-Kodiak-Hybrid-W0QQAdIdZ201509514

Any thought and opinions from experianced campers is appreciated. I am quite stressed about this. Did I mention we have camping booked for the long weekend too? LOL

Thanks guys!
NatashaB

Unread postby pwall on Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Both look very nice.
I think your Nitro will tow either of these, but it's certainly going to know the first one is there for sure.
If it were me, I would go with the lighter unit. You can try to pack light all your want, but as time goes on, (if you're like me), you'll add this item and then that item, and then before you know it............

I would go with the unit you know you can tow safely and without un-due stress to the vechicle and yourself. ;)
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Limey on Tue May 04, 2010 3:11 pm

pwall wrote:Both look very nice.
I think your Nitro will tow either of these, but it's certainly going to know the first one is there for sure.
If it were me, I would go with the lighter unit. You can try to pack light all your want, but as time goes on, (if you're like me), you'll add this item and then that item, and then before you know it............

I would go with the unit you know you can tow safely and without un-due stress to the vechicle and yourself. ;)

Exactly what I was going to say - he beat me to it!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The Welcome Center