Skip to content

Change font size

External Water Jug Holder

For the do-it-yourselfer's amongst us, discuss your project RV or DIY modifications here.

External Water Jug Holder

Unread postby Darwin on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:07 am

I modified this idea from my uncle's (he loves tinkering with different things) to make it work best for our trailer. We don't have an external water outlet, as well, 99% of our camping is without hookups. So we can either bring our own water to wash with, or fill up with lake water to wash our hands without having to run in and out of our trailer all day long.

Exterior Water Jug Holder - July 25, 2017 - 02.jpg
Collaboration of the exterior water jug holder.

Using the existing steel tubing for the battery and spare tire holder, I used two 22" long pieces of 1 1/4" aluminum square tubing. I used a grinder to grind off some of the material that would extend into the steel tubing. The main problem was the weld line inside the square steel tubing, but it was quick and easy to grind down the aluminum to fit.

Note: Yes I am very well aware that two 1 1/4" aluminum tubes are over-kill for the weight of a blue water jug, my thought was to create a more stable surface with the least amount of possibility of it being broken one way or another. (I have three young kids, they will find a way if there is one)

On top of these two aluminum tubes is a roughly 14" x 16" piece of (I can't remember now if it's 1/8" or 3/16") checker plated aluminum. I may switch to bolts with a lower head profile, but for now I've used very short 1/4" bolts and lock nuts to attach the sheet to the tubes.

To cap this project, I've added a stainless steel towel holder (yes it's a cabinet door handle). Previously we would just hang the towel over the water jug, but it always ends up on the ground.

Exterior Water Jug Holder - July 25, 2017 - 01.jpg
Big picture of the set up

I'm still bouncing back and forth on whether I should leave the aluminum as is or if I should paint it black. (Rhino spray on liner)
2016 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0L Crew Cab Short Box

2013 Coachmen Apex 151 RBX
Darwin

Re: External Water Jug Holder

Unread postby RonJK on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 am

Looks like a novel idea that works well.
I would leave the check plate as is not black, it will wear better.
RonJK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Darwin on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks Ron, I think I'll leave it as is and not paint it.

Then again, it doesn't take much to change my mind.

Darwin

Unread postby Darwin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Just an add-on to the subject. The holder fits nicely into our front compartment along with our many other items we have.

IMG_4113.JPG
External Water Jug Holder stored in the front compartment

Here is a picture from our trip last weekend at Hicks Lake near Harrison BC using our new holder. Unfortunately, our 14 month old daughter has forced us to keep the soap on top of the jug this time. Hopefully on the next trip she'll learn to leave the soap alone.

IMG_4082.JPG
External Water Jug Holder - Hicks Lake July 2017

Darwin

Unread postby roverd02 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 pm

I like this kind of idea. We will be working on buddy's RV right after we finished installing the led lights and du-ha storage on his truck. Something bigger like a dining or cooking table might be a little better.
roverd02

Return to DIY Projects & Mods