Skip to content

Change font size

Exhaust Brake......

From 'Fivers to pintle hooks, and everything in between.

Exhaust Brake......

Unread postby antiqfreq on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Does anyone here use an exhaust brake on their diesel?

We are looking at three brands: Banks, BD or PacBrake

Now that I have read everything on all 3 web sites - I couldn't be MORE confused if I tried.

Any comments, information and/or recommendations?

Thanks,

Jo
:?
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Re: Exhaust Brake......

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:21 pm

I've driven plenty of class 8 equipment with exhaust brakes (as well as Jakes, but there two different things) but never had one on any medium duty equipment including my current TT.

I know some swear by them, but I think that alot of people also have them without the actual need - AKA, someone who pulls a big trailer, but never gets into the mountains with it. I read threads about people using their EB's while bobtailing around town, etc...situations where it's not necessary whatsoever.

Do you regularly get into extremely hilly areas where one is really necessary would be my first question?
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby antiqfreq on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:49 pm

We don't do hills often - just once a year for our two week vacation to the mountains.

I don't want to be the one running people when we can't stop on our downhill descent.

We towed a 5,000 lb travel trailer last year & now tow a 10,000 fiver..........

Looking at BD exhaust brake- not just need to figure which one of the 'other' things we
need with it. TowLoc, AutoLoc or TorqLoc?

We have a Super Chips programmer in our truck already which has a tow-haul mode!
I guess the salesman will have to direct us at to 'what' else we may need.

Any info from members is truly appreciated.

Jo :lol:
2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2003 F250 - 7.3 diesel baby !
antiqfreq

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm towing about the same trailer as you with a bigger/heavier truck, and I'll be doing several mountain passes (including two trips through the Rockies) this summer without an EB.

It's entirely doable so long as you start out slow. The EB gives you the ability to slow down if you start out too fast, and certainly takes away the need for the service brakes on many hills, but all that said most grades are entirely manageable without an exhaust brake. It's nice and for someone who spends all their time in the mountains it's a great option, but for someone like you and me who only see mountains once or twice a year (and perhaps years apart in the meantime) its' probably an overkill.

Slow down at the top of the grade, select a really low gear, and start crawling down. When speed picks up to the point where you are at or near redline apply the service brakes HARD and only long enough to bring the speed down - then release them. By doing this you bleed off the speed but then get off the brakes and give them an opportunity to cool down before the next application. Never ride your brakes as it will cause overheating very quickly and then your in an emergency/runaway situation.

Sorry if you know all this, but I'm just saying for the benefit of others who might be less familiar with grade decent. :)
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jigbuilder on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:50 pm

my current diesel is my 3rd with a EB and for my use I wouldn't be without one. My current truck is a 2500 Dodge/Cummins with the 6 spd manual and a Jacobs. The other two Dodge/Cummins 3500 DRW had the BD brake. A 6spd manual with the 5.9 Cummins has just about zero engine/tranny braking. My wifes Front wheel drive Buick has more engine braking than the Cummins/manual tranny. I use the EB all the time when empty. Sure saves on the trucks brakes.
For your 7.3 PSD I would suggest the Pacbrake PRXB. What ever EB you go with be sure and get the EB manufactor recommendation on all hardware/software for the tranny TC lockup.

Jgbldr
jigbuilder

Unread postby PrivatePilot on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm starting to wonder if my setup is the exception to the rule.

All of my diesel experience with the exception of my pickup is based around my commercial experience - I drive class 8 for a living, and I'll agree that downshifting alone without an EB or Jake is worthless.

That said, my pickup truck provides alot of braking ability with downshifting alone - when empty I can almost break the rear end loose if I downshift from 3rd to 2nd while still carrying a bit of speed.

I took our old trailer (tri-axle 34 footer, about 10K as I hauled it) into Northern Ontario a few weeks ago and went down a few decent grades - not rocky mountain quality, but grades none the less. Knowing I didn't need to start out slow (they were steep but not more then a mile or so in length) I crested then at about 80K (45 MPH) after downshifting to third and it held me back perfectly with no brake application needed. If I had came over in second gear with less speed I'm sure the results would have been as good.

I need to carry lots of RPM's to get effective engine braking, but it works. My experience is vastly different then all these stories I read of others who mention that they have little to no engine braking on their diesels.

Curious.
PrivatePilot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Dnut on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 pm

I had a '98 Dodge 3/4T w/a Cummins 12v diesel and no e-brake, towing a 9500lb 5th wheel and never had a braking problem on any major highways. My problem manifested itself on a secondary paved road leaving the Sierra Nevada mountains at Big Pines in California. The drop was about 4500ft in 8mi with frequent 10mph switch backs. I was forced to stop twice when the brakes began to fade. The brakes cooled so slowly that I was forced to throw water on the brakes, of the truck and trailer, to get off the mountain before sundown and I started about 10 am. I had started out in first gear and the engine offered no noticible braking.

I had made similar trips in earlier years, with a trailer of half that weight and a 3/4T gas Chevy 454 and rarely used the brakes. That '98 Dodge was equiped with e.g.r. prohibiting the legal instalation of an exhaust brake in Cal. I recently replaced the '98 with a 2010 Dodge, 2500 with the Ctd. It has both an e-brake and the tow haul mode.

I have not yet had the opportunity to get this rig in the mountains but can't wait to do it.
Dnut

Unread postby Limey on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Dnut wrote: I recently replaced the '98 with a 2010 Dodge, 2500 with the Ctd. It has both an e-brake and the tow haul mode.

I have not yet had the opportunity to get this rig in the mountains but can't wait to do it.

My camping buddy has a 2009 Dodge 2500 CTD with the built in exhaust brake etc. Towing through the Rockies he sometimes has to actually apply gas to speed up on downhill sections. A very efficient and effective exhaust brake!

Unfortunately I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 CTD which has no exhaust brake, and you cannot add one to this model. However, even like that, I have double towed my 5er and boat through a lot of the Colorado Rockies with little problem.

Best of luck - and welcome to the forum!
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby yr2012 on Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 pm

We had five CTD's from 1995 to 2003 - none had anything more than Jordan brake controllers. We towed 16,000-lb horse trailers all over the intermountain west without any other braking contraptions. While I know that class 7's and 8's come with Jakes and they have their purpose for 60-80,000-lb loads we could not see putting one on our CTD's.
Al & Kate
F/V Alice's Dream III
yr2012

Unread postby 46mech on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:54 pm

If your question, antiqfreq, is... "which brand?", I can't answer that. However, having had a '95 RAM 3500 automatic with no exhaust brake and now having an '09 RAM automatic with the factory engine brake. ..I'd say install one. If you have an automatic, make sure you get the tranny set up so it will work with the EB. I use my EB all the time; trailering or not. In fact, the local Dodge mechanic said that was what they preferred.
2009 RAM MegaCab 4x4 6.7L Currently without an RV (after careful research, hoping to move out of this status :) ); past RV's: 2000 Thor TB217 Toy Hauler , 2004 Cedar Creek TT
46mech

Return to Towing Discussion