Skip to content

Change font size

hitch adjustment

From 'Fivers to pintle hooks, and everything in between.

hitch adjustment

Unread postby catmom on Tue May 27, 2008 11:29 pm

We're taking our new TT back to the dealer on Thursday for some adjustments & minor repairs, prior to a long trip we're planning to take late in June. Right now the trailer rides just a bit tongue-high; we haven't measured it (hard to find a PERFECTLY level spot long enough) but by eyeball it appears to be perhaps a couple inches higher in the front than the back. We haven't measured the truck's squat, but again, eyeball seems to indicate the truck sits level when hitched up. We did stop at a CAT scale on our maiden voyage; with the trailer & truck loaded as usual for camping, including a full freshwater tank, we got the following readings:

steer axle: 3380 lbs
drive axle: 3780 lbs
trailer axle(s): 6520 lbs
gross wt: 13,680 lbs

All of those figures are within the specs of the truck & the trailer, which was a relief! GAWR for the truck axles is 4000 front and 4150 rear.

My question: Does the difference in weight on the truck axles seem ok, proportionately, for towing? Should the weights be more similar to each other? We are going to need to carry a few more things in the truck bed for our long trip, but no more than an additional 35 lbs, I think. (We had probably about 50 lbs of stuff in the truck bed for our maiden voyage, and another 50 lbs of stuff in the cab with us. Everything else was packed in the trailer.) If the hitch is adjusted to lower the tongue so the trailer rides level, will that increase the weight on the drive axle even more?

There are SO many things to keep in mind when it comes to towing!!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Re: hitch adjustment

Unread postby cwit on Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 am

You are better off being a little high then low at all. If low you will start to nose down on breaking and this is a bad thing to happen. If you are level when hooked it is easy to go low in the nose.
cwit

Unread postby catmom on Wed May 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Interesting - I had heard that, from a sway prevention point of view, it's better to be nose down than nose up. Level is of course best.
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm

HIT WRONG KEY.. REWRITTEN BELOW.
Last edited by MCBOWERS on Wed May 28, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby MCBOWERS on Wed May 28, 2008 4:48 pm

[quote="MCBOWERS"][quote="catmom"] : trailer axle(s): 6520 lbs
[/quote[

I would weigh each axle on the TT,they should be close to 50/50 on each but the front should never be heavier than the rear.Truck weights sounds ok to me.
MCBOWERS
TV 1977Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab,w/smogless 454,Turbo 400,3.73
TT TC 23QB 2006 w/1200W inverter, 3 step charger,80W solar panel
ACHILLES hard bottom inflateable[12'] w/15hp Suzuki ob,ready to launch
MCBOWERS
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Limey on Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm

catmom wrote:Interesting - I had heard that, from a sway prevention point of view, it's better to be nose down than nose up. Level is of course best.

That is what I have always heard and read also - the Reese Dual Cam instructions also say this.

The trailer ideally should be level when connected, and the truck should be sitting at the attitude as before the trailer was hitched up. The point of the WD system is to transfer some of the load to the front axle in order to allow the truck to squat evenly on the front and back axles. If you have that right, and the trailer nose is still high, you need to drop the hitch a notch until everything is level. Level is good! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby catmom on Wed May 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks!

Not sure how we'd weigh each axle on the TT, as they're right next to each other. Is that normally done, or do folks usually just weigh the trailer axles together on the same scale?
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby skipnchar on Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 am

I've never bothered weighing single axles but I would if I found any kind of uneven tire wear or any other problem presented itself. The method that would be easiest is to park with only one axle on a scale pad, even if the other didn't reach the next pad. Take one weight for the front axle then pull to the other end of the pad and get the other axle.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby catmom on Thu May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Back to the levelness issue: took the TT to the dealer's this morning for some minor repairs & tweaking, prior to our long trip later this summer, and mentioned that it still looks tongue-high (though our level seems to indicate it's off by only about 1/4"). I also noticed our Equal-i-zer bars are angled just slightly down in the front. Should we adjust the L-brackets? I thought I had read that E. bars should be level. The truck looks level and doesn't seem to drive squirrely, like there's not enough weight on the steer axle, but.... :?:
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Return to Towing Discussion