Skip to content

Change font size

What vehicle to buy to haul a 21 ft Surveyor travel trailer

From 'Fivers to pintle hooks, and everything in between.

What vehicle to buy to haul a 21 ft Surveyor travel trailer

Unread postby Barry2 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I am new to RV Forums.org and this is my first post. I have been hauling a Camplite pop-up with back, front, and side slide-outs weighing 2200 lbs. with a 2006 Toyota Sienna mini van. One trip took us from Knowlton Quebec to Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, San Fran, Los Angeles, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Branson MO, and home...17,000 KM with one flat tire 2 miles from home.
We are now in the process of buying a Surveyor Forest River 21 foot travel trailer weighing 3200 lbs. The trailer comes with sway and stabiliser bars. What is the minimum vehicle I need to buy to pull this load? :?: :?:
Barry2

Re: What vehicle to buy to haul a 21 ft Surveyor travel trai

Unread postby govols on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 am

Google your current Sienna. Every thing I find suggests it's capable of 3500 lbs. If that 3200 you mentioned includes cargo you might be fine with what you have.

Here's a handy place to find more info.
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
govols

Unread postby Barry2 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Thank you Govols...very helpful. My 2006 Sienna is getting tired so I am leaning toward a new Kia Sorento with a towing capability of 5000 lbs.
Barry2

Unread postby govols on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:57 am

That looks like a workable choice, but be careful. According to this site

http://www.serrakia.com/blog/2016-kia-s ... ingham-al/

only the models with V-6 and all wheel drive pull 5000 lbs. Front wheel drive models are no greater than 3500 and 4 cylinder models are only 2000.
govols

Unread postby Barry2 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:45 pm

govols wrote:That looks like a workable choice, but be careful. According to this site

http://www.serrakia.com/blog/2016-kia-s ... ingham-al/

only the models with V-6 and all wheel drive pull 5000 lbs. Front wheel drive models are no greater than 3500 and 4 cylinder models are only 2000.

Thanks for all the info... I just got back from buying the 2016 Kia Sorento V6 AWD with tow pkg installed. Now I have to go on Thurs. to finalize the deal on the 21 ft Surveyor Forest River trailer.
Barry2

Unread postby govols on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Did you get your camper? have you pulled it yet? How is it working out?
govols

Unread postby Barry2 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I drove the 21 ft TT home with my 2016 Kia Sorento V6 AWD 192HP .. It was an hour and a half trip and no problems pulling, no swaying, no lugging up moderate hills. Although I had to drive home with no brakes on the TT, I was able to brake without any issues. BUT I do not want to make too many trips without TT brakes so I have established that the problem is the TT brakes keep locking up due to the fact that the TT has not be moved for the last two years. I am able to unlock the brakes with the Sorento,s braking control box. My delima is that I have taken the wheel off but I am unsure how to get the brake drum off. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Barry2

Unread postby govols on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Have you pulled the grease cap? There should be a castle nut, pinned into place, a big washer, wheel baring to remove a d then the hub ought to come right off.
govols

Unread postby Barry2 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 am

No I have not removed the grease caps. I have given them a moderate wack with a rubber hammer (with an outward glancing blow) but the cap is not budging.
Should I hit it harder? I have tried to pry it off but cannot get anything in behind the cap.
thanks
Barry
Barry2

Unread postby govols on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Try grabbing it fairly gently with channel lock pliers and see if you can get it to wiggle out. Just sort of rock it side to side and up and down until it starts to move.
govols

Unread postby Barry2 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you Govols
I will try the channel lock pliers tomorrow and if that does not work, I will try hitting harder with the rubber hammer. The worst that can happen is that I ruin grease cap.
I know of no other hobby with such a great group of individuals willing to help a fellow enthusiast in distress.
While I am at it I will ask the next question...Once I clean the braking system, should I put any lubricant on it, or will this create problems down the road?
Barry2

Unread postby govols on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-remove_rein ... r_hub.aspx

Try the video. Do not lube inside brake hub or brake parts. DO make sure the barings are well greased.
govols

Return to Towing Discussion