Skip to content

Change font size

Tow vehicle roof wind deflectors

From 'Fivers to pintle hooks, and everything in between.

Tow vehicle roof wind deflectors

Unread postby imollison on Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi all, am new to the forum and love the information that is here. Makes for great reading during the long winters here in Canada.

I currently own/ drive a 2008 GMC 2500HD gas C/C P/U and tow a 28 foot Denali 5th wheel. Mostly small trips with one longer one every year is all we do for camping and I am wondering if any one has any experience with roof mounted wind deflectors? Both good and bad please.

I am looking at adding a larger aftermarket gas tank, but would really like to use existing items that will help increase the fuel economy side of the equation. I have Airtabs on the back of the unit and do notice a difference with handling and visability while driving in the rain, not sure about mileage yet though.
2009 Denali 5th Wheel 28"LBBS

2008 GMC 2500 HD CC
imollison

Re: Tow vehicle roof wind deflectors

Unread postby cwit on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:42 am

Welcome aboard. They may work with a TT but on 5er's they are to far away from your camper to work IMHO. :)
cwit

Re: Tow vehicle roof wind deflectors

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 am

Putting a air shield could make your fuel mileage worse, due to the air recurilating behind the air shield and then hitting the front of your fiver. It's a hit and miss deal. Slowing down to find your optimum fuel economy is about the best way, thats what I do. 100 k per hour pulling a 40 footer and I get just under 11 mpg. If I put my foot into it reduces dramatically. 90 k would be better, but not in the powerband for the hills.

Better intake system on your truck engine, those helps, same with exhaust. Kn filters etc.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Return to Towing Discussion