Skip to content

Change font size

Equal-i-zer hitch setting

From 'Fivers to pintle hooks, and everything in between.

Equal-i-zer hitch setting

Unread postby catmom on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Still wondering if we need to tweak our hitch adjustment. DH not being handy (nor I either), this is not something we can do ourselves, especially with the amount of torque needed on some of the parts.

What makes me question it is that, with everything hitched up & attached, 1) the sway bars angle downward toward the truck, rather than sitting parallel to the trailer frame, and 2) the little L-clips (used to hold the sway bars in position on the L-brackets) are now bent back about 10-15% over their original shape. These are replacement clips that we ordered to replace the originals, which also bent about that much; the replacements have been used for a couple long trips now (2500-4000 miles in length). Since it's easy to buy replacements, it seems that it's common to need to replace them, but are we having to do it too often?

Anyone using/familiar with the Equal-i-zer have some advice on this?
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Re: Equal-i-zer hitch setting

Unread postby mountainman on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm not just sure what you are describing with regard to the L brackets but it does sound like something that should not occur. I have had 2 Equil-i-zer hitches and never encountered anything like you are describing. I have been told by Josh at Equa;l-i-zer that it is not necessary for the sway bars to be parallel to the frame and it is O K for them to be angled up from the hitch. If you are talking about the L shaped clips with the pin in the bottom that hold the sway bars in place being bent I would say you have a serious problem causing that condition.
Life is a Journey and only you hold the map!
mountainman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby GOTTOYS on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 pm

I had an Equal-i-zer years ago and it worked great. Never had a problem with it. Sounds to me like you may have to adjust the brackets on the trailer a frame downward. I would recommend bringing it to a knowledgeable dealer and have them check over the whole set up. The angle of the head (part on the tv) maybe off as well. The bars should be parallel to the frame or possibly slanted downward on the trailer side a bit. As I think about it...if you need to crank the bars up that high to get level you may need heavier bars. They make several sizes to handle different tongue weights. You should never bend or need to replace those "L" brackets.
GOTTOYS

Unread postby ramblemutt on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Hope the OP got this sorted out. GOTTOYS has the right idea....definitely some tweaking in order. Been towing with the EQ for over 8 years, no problems.
One wife, 3.1 dogs and no money....life is good
'01 Excursion Ltd, 7.3L PSD, '06 Prowler 260RLS

ramblemutt

Unread postby Techman501 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Yes as a Full Trained Tech I would say your not set up correctly,those pins should have no tension on them,there only to hold bracket as a saftey measure. Start from scratch . Remove trailer and measure hitch hight(should be around 21 inches from level ground,next measure truck which ball on it will be roughly 22 to 22.5 when hitch is set. These are standard hights but some units vary but always truck ball is an inch or more higher. Thats just the begining. If your on post back
Techman501

Unread postby frank on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am

You may want to consider on a RV Tech to look at it. It's better to sit spend a few bucks and be safe. Let us all know what happens. Good luck
frank

Return to Towing Discussion