Skip to content

Change font size

My observation and thoughts on parks reviews...

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

My observation and thoughts on parks reviews...

Unread postby jemek on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Okay...I have spent quite a bit of time the last week or so...researching campgrounds/rv parks...asking for information if I could not find anything on RV park reviews sites.

It brought me to this thought...in this day and age of the high tech internet world, where rv'ers and campers can share the information about a campsite. I do understand that different people will rate them on different things. I am talking about the simple basic's of maintaining and running a park/campground. IE: Bathrooms cleaned, landscape maintained, customer service, amenities maintained, etc. Those kind of things.

I know 2 years ago when we went to San Diego for the family reunion, we had made sure to get a private park with a pool as we would be in the middle of the desert 1-5. The first place we pulled into, had a bit of a time finding it, called they told us exactly how to find them. We pull in....the kids start piling out of the truck. The manager come's running out to greet us...it was more to tell us that the pool was not working. He took Dh back inside and help us locate another campground about 35 miles away and called to check to make sure the pool was working and sites available. Even though we did not stay at his park, it is on the list of possible places to stay in the future, just based on the way we were treated.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail 31ft QBH
jemek

Re: My observation and thoughts on parks reviews...

Unread postby catmom on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

I agree - it's more than just the basics sometimes. Granted, they need to be there too, unless there are extenuating circumstances, but attitude & customer relations go a long way.

In that vein, last summer we planned to camp for a night at AB Camping in Cheyenne, Wyoming. They're an older CG, clearly designed & built back in the days of much smaller RVs, and we were just not comfortable with the size of the sites available for us. They let us use their golf cart to drive around the park and look at the sites, so we didn't have to thread our way towing the 34' trailer! When we got back to the office, having not found anything that I felt would work, they were understanding, apologetic, and kind enough that I felt, had we a smaller rig, or in other circumstances, I'd consider camping there again. We did end up at another CG (the KOA) and that worked out nicely, but I was very impressed with the folks at AB.

It's nice if someone includes this kind of thing in a CG review - very helpful!
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Unread postby mikhen on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 pm

On RVpareviews.com, if there is a review that sounds too detailed on stuff that doesn't sound important, I always check the other reviews posted by that user. If they nit-pick on stupid stuff, I disregard their review all together.
I agree, the owners attitude has alot to do with a good campground. We once had our site changed because of a group coming in. The owner asked me what I wanted. I told him near the pool and near fishing. The site he put us in was better than our original. They got high ratings from me, just for that.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby fla-gypsy on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 pm

You really have to read the reviews carefully. I have seen way to many places get slammed for having too many trees (that's right) that interfere with SAT TV. That amazes me every time.
2006 Keystone Hornet 29RLS
09 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L
http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
St Andrews State Park cult member
fla-gypsy

Unread postby Gunship Guy on Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 pm

I read this one just today. A reviewer on rvparkreviews.com gave the campground a 1 rating because their campsite was wet. And, yes, they added that it had just rained but were upset because the ground didn't dry out fast enough.

Unbelievable.
Gunship Guy

Unread postby jemek on Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 am

That is funny...too wet.

About 4-5 years ago we were on a campout with Job's Daughter's. It was at a Masonic Park and we were in the group site.
I had our tent trailer. It rained that night and I mean rained...well come the next morning I look out. Then I call out for a canoe. It seems the spot I put the tent trailer in was a low section. Needless to say we were surrounded by 2-3 inches of water.

The poor kids in tents..that happened to camp in low spots...most found themselves moving to cars in the middle of the night, as they were floating.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500
2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail 31ft QBH
jemek

Unread postby catmom on Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm

We made the mistake of choosing a low campsite one time - just didn't notice, until we had a big rainstorm. Our site ended up 6" deep in water. We were camped with some relatives and all of us took turns bailing with a skillet and digging trenches with spatulas and the claw of a hammer - all the tools we had available! It worked, sort of. No campfire that night though - the firepit was the lowest spot in the site and the water just pooled in it.

At least if people complain about something like weather, you know to take the rest of it with a grain of salt. :)
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L w/ tow pkg
2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS
catmom

Return to General RV Discussion