Skip to content

Change font size

Economy

Generalized RV discussion not covered in another forum - the "Catch All" for RV talk!

Moderator: Zinger

Forum rules
Although RV-forums.org is an easy-going place, we do have a few easy to follow rules. Please read up on them here.

Economy

Unread postby Zinger on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Is the economy causing cut backs in your summer fun? Easy ways to save a few bucks please share with us.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Economy

Unread postby pwall on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:54 am

It is for me. I work for a hi-tech company in Ottawa, but I won't be for much longer.
Nonetheless, I'll get out to the parks as often as possible, just no big travel plans this summer.
Patrick.
pwall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:12 am

Yup big time, no summer travelling this year, just going to stay at our seasonal campground, the lake is about 25 minutes away. Going to get my boat out of storage today and clean it up and do a service, warm this weekend and will be out for a boat ride.

Run my own business that caters to trucking, for the most part, doom and gloom, many many fleets have cut back and the single or small owner operators are not making money. I have had to rethink the business end of things and pare down the operating costs. Were looking at the summer months with very little to do, where as in the past I never gave it a second thought.

We used to travel to Northern Ontario for extended weekend trips, usually close to 6 days or so. After everything is said and done, cost about 1500.00 for the week plus the cost of being away from the business.

We have everything in our seasonal campground anyhow, just not the feel and environment of Northern Ontario. So in reality we will have a pretty good summer.
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Mike in Calgary on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I know things are tough for a lot of people and a lot of our clients have downsized considerably. But the very small company that I work for (3 people in total) was just bought up by a much bigger company. We like their product line and they like our customer list and commitment to customer service. They seem to be very serious about keeping all of us on the payroll as they've offered us fairly considerable signing and retention bonuses over the next 2 years. Our industry is somewhat recession proof as the product wears out over time, needs fairly constant attention and needs to be repaired by a professional should things go wrong with it. That being said, we won't likely travel too far afield this summer, since last year's trip down to Utah and Colorado, while a lot of fun, was a whole heck of a lot of driving. We'll likely just head own to southern BC for a couple of weeks plus get out on most weekends.
There is no such thing as a bad day camping.
Mike in Calgary
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby JQSpree on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:06 am

Well, fortunately, the economy doesn't impact us much now or at least won't as of next week when my wife retires. Gas costs and other increases in basic costs are a factor on a fixed income, but we will cope.

Planning our biggest trip since getting our rv in Dec 2007. In end of May, going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and ??? Haven't been up there since about 1994 or 95.

Will try to make several small trips in coming months closer to home.
John and Darlene
2007 Chev Silverado 1500,5.3,w/3.73
2008 KZ Spree 260FL
JQSpree
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby graywolf67 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Planning our biggest trip since getting our rv in Dec 2007. In end of May, going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and ??? Haven't been up there since about 1994 or 95.

Lucky :mrgreen:
2008 Ford F250 6.4PSD Zinger ZT26RL
graywolf67
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby mikhen on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm

We cut back on spending, but still have plans for the summer. We need a new computer, but that's on hold. Landscaping work needs to be done, that's on hold. Kids need a new trampoline, that is waiting till we find a good deal. We cut out our needs and wants and put our kids first. Just watching what we spend and limiting our fun.
2005 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 qbs

The MOST free camping giveaways in Pa....
http://www.campingpa.com

Our Camping in Pa Webpage
http://www.campinginpa.weebly.com
mikhen

Unread postby skipnchar on Sat May 30, 2009 11:12 am

Being retired and now living on a more or less fixed income from a secure pension fund, the bad economic times have probably Helped me maintain my RVing lifestyle more than they've hurt me. Lower fuel prices and fewer people found in campgrounds are both big benefits to folks in my situation. I had to good fortune to convert most of my higher risk investments to a much more sedate type of investments before the bottom dropped out and wasn't even "in the know' enough to have contact with vermin like Maddof or others. AS I got closer to retirement age I followed the policy that "low risk means low rewards" (but safety).

Don't get me wrong though, I'd trade those advantages in a heartbeat to get all of those great folks who've lost their jobs back to work again or to bring back some of the good companies who have been forced to close their doors.
2007 Rockwood 8314SS Travel Trailer
F-150 HD OR F-250 PSD SCREW (whichever I feel like driving)

skipnchar
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Frank Henn on Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 am

The people I ran the repair shop for sold it to another person, Had a job one day out of work the next day. The good news is that my retirement will handle most of the stuff I want to do. The bad news is Janet is 8 years younger than I am so she can not even think about retiring for another 9 years. What this means is a lot of local camping, three or four tours a year. We are blessed by living in the south where we are able to camp all year. Yes I am bored staying around the condo, will more than likley look for a part time job. Every day is a new day we all have to keep the faith
Frank and Janet Henn
with Hoover the Wonder Dog Now introducing Rainbow the wonder puppy
2008 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL
pushing a 2005 Dodge 2500 CDT
Frank Henn
Established Member
Established Member

Unread postby Zinger on Sun May 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Frank Henn wrote:The people I ran the repair shop for sold it to another person, Had a job one day out of work the next day. The good news is that my retirement will handle most of the stuff I want to do. The bad news is Janet is 8 years younger than I am so she can not even think about retiring for another 9 years. What this means is a lot of local camping, three or four tours a year. We are blessed by living in the south where we are able to camp all year. Yes I am bored staying around the condo, will more than likley look for a part time job. Every day is a new day we all have to keep the faith

I will have a similar issue if I live that long my wife is about 4.5 yrs my junior. I am not going to wait for her to retire though.
Have a good one
Greg Morin
2008 Zinger ZT 260 BH

Zinger
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Ozimo on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Just waiting till the realtor brings me a buyer for the farm, then I'm finally outta here. I dropped the price $150 grand yesterday and want a quick sale. And, no I'm not holding the paper on it. I did the last two times it was sold and that's why I'm in this predicament again! I'm meeting some good friends in Indiana in a few weeks, one of whom just lost his job of 22 years - he was in the luxury travel biz which is down 60% since two years ago. Anyway, as soon as this is done deal - I'm going back to sea. No more roads and no more trucks - I did that for 30+ years.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby mdcamping on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I haven't really cut back on camping trips/campgrounds. But were planning on staying more at the campgrounds and cut back on day trips. On our trip to the OBX were going to do a longer stop at DC and take advantage of the National Musuems.

Tough Times... I've seen a lot of good people around me loose their jobs recently.

Mike
Mike,Kathleen,Matthew & Ryan and Sara our Sheltie
1999 21' Aerolite RBH,2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
mdcamping

Unread postby Ozimo on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Good news - I've got a buyer and a signed contract. Hooray!!! Gonna take my out of work friend on trip - he'll never guess where......
Ozimo

Unread postby Little Kopit on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:23 am

Congrats!!!!

Iceland?

Fishing?

:P
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby jp rver on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:40 pm

We are actually doing just a bit more than last year, but still staying local, as in Missouri and Illinois area. Last year's $4 a gallon gas kept us very local, as in, the driveway! :lol:
2005 Forest River Surveyor SV291
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Reg. Cab 5.9L Magnum 360, timbrens, low miles (77,300) It's old, but it's paid for!!
jp rver
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Ozimo on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:56 am

Little Kopit wrote:Congrats!!!!

Iceland?

Fishing?

:P

YES!!! Going home is so sweet. Need to stop in Indiana, pick he and his wife up, then up to Churchill for the boat and on to a new adventure. Est to arrive Resolute in early July, then Vesty in late July.
Capt. Abraham Quasuittuq
FV Ozimo III- Amsterdam
MV Aleutian Princess - Galapagos
Ozimo

Unread postby Limey on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Excellent! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey